Ideal bar bag placement?

satanas

Dec 15, 2017, 8:56:06 AM12/15/17
to 650b
The GB clips mentioned in another thread might solve my GB25 movement problems. So, the next bike that's in the pipeline is going to have disc brakes, which means no canti/centrepull brake cable in front of the head tube.

Given there's no need to allow for cable room, is there any good reason why the bar bag shouldn't be as close to the head tube as possible? That shouldn't cause knee clearance problems as the head tube will be quite forward, with a longish top tube plus shortish stem. Positioning the bag like this would mean a custom rack, but I have suitable tubing already. Note that I'm concerned only with handling, and not with retro aesthetics - the bike will fail on that score anyway. ;-)

What haven't I thought of?

Later,
Stephen

Philip Kim

Dec 15, 2017, 9:40:37 AM12/15/17
to 650b
possibly stem length as well.

Brad

Dec 15, 2017, 10:04:14 AM12/15/17
to 650b
The bottom of the bag should be as close to the head tube as feasible with enough space to get the tombstone strap in place.
The top needs to be accessible.  If you have to bend over and do a quarter sommersault to get to the bags contents you wont like it.
My theory is that the distortion of the bag bottom this causes is a feature not a bug.
It prevents yaw without adding extra problematic straps.

Stephen Poole

Dec 15, 2017, 10:26:16 AM12/15/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com
The head tube will effectively be moving forward just over 20mm compared to the previous frame, with the stem shrinking proportionally, to 90-100mm, depending on which bars are used. Even if the bar-to-bag relative position didn't change that means it would be 20mm closer to the head tube. My guess is it could come back another 10-20mm on top of that with no clearance problems. A bag that's larger front to rear might then fit in more or less the same space, and extra volume wouldn't hurt. (I've also thought about using a truncated trapezoidal cross section to maximise volume.)

As for bag movement, I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure there is none. I'd much rather take a tiny bit longer to fit and remove the bag than to have it continually moving whilst riding, and IMO some sort of positive lock(s) cannot hurt.

Later,
Stephen