650B Gravel Bike from Diamondback (Haanjo EXP Carbon)

Ahmet Cemiloglu

Jul 21, 2016, 3:54:59 PM7/21/16
to 650b
For those who are looking for a carbon gravel bike, Diamondback released 3 carbon models, and the EXP version comes with 650B HED wheels with knobby 2.1" Schwalbe Smart Sams. I would personally swap the triple crankset for a single and ditch the front derailleur, install tan sidewall Swtichback Hill tires. There are eyelets on dropouts, however those could be for front and rear racks. Touring style bar end shifters, disc brakes, and through axles front and back. $2300 MSRP, and it's $1900 on Performance Bike's website. Specialized Diverge and GT Grade Carbon were in my radar too, but this Haanjo EXP comes with 650B wheels out of the box. Sweet! http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-bikes-alternative-road-haanjo-series-haanjo-exp-carbon

Mark McGrath

Jul 21, 2016, 3:58:11 PM7/21/16
to Ahmet Cemiloglu, 650b
that thing is the sweetest bike from Diamondback I've seen in ages!

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Ahmet Cemiloglu <ahmetce...@gmail.com> wrote:
For those who are looking for a carbon gravel bike, Diamondback released 3 carbon models, and the EXP version comes with 650B HED wheels with knobby 2.1" Schwalbe Smart Sams. I would personally swap the triple crankset for a single and ditch the front derailleur, install tan sidewall Swtichback Hill tires. There are eyelets on dropouts, however those could be for front and rear racks. Touring style bar end shifters, disc brakes, and through axles front and back. $2300 MSRP, and it's $1900 on Performance Bike's website. Specialized Diverge and GT Grade Carbon were in my radar too, but this Haanjo EXP comes with 650B wheels out of the box. Sweet! http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-bikes-alternative-road-haanjo-series-haanjo-exp-carbon

William Lindsay

Jul 21, 2016, 4:25:50 PM7/21/16
to 650b
For those sweating the numbers on that extraordinary bike, there is one typo on their Fit Chart.  They claim the middle sizes come with 172.5mm crank arms.  Obviously that's an error, as Deore Triple MTB cranks don't come in 172.5mm.  I did a little live chat on the DB website and the (super nice) guy said he'd fix it.

My only other tiny gripe about the bike is that there are no 12x100 dynamo hubs today.  I've emailed Peter White to see if Schmidt is planning it.  It's likely only a matter of time before somebody offers one, but it might bum some people out to have to wait.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Mike Schiller

Jul 21, 2016, 6:27:27 PM7/21/16
to 650b
SP will have a Dynamo hub out  in 12x100 fairly soon. Mr "rain on somebody's parade" Lindsay.   The Rawland Ravn and several other bikes will be using this type of hub as well.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca

My only other tiny gripe about the bike is that there are no 12x100 dynamo hubs today.  I've emailed Peter White to see if Schmidt is planning it.  It's likely only a matter of time before somebody offers one, but it might bum some people out to have to wait.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

William Lindsay

Jul 21, 2016, 6:48:54 PM7/21/16
to 650b

I am dee-lighted that 12x100 dynamos are on their way.

William Lindsay

Jul 21, 2016, 6:54:08 PM7/21/16
to 650b

Now that I can get a dynamo, I might regularly win the Presidents Race.  DEE-Lighted!

satanas

Jul 22, 2016, 7:19:08 AM7/22/16
to 650b
If discs are going to be in top-level UCI races then neutral service needs *one* wheel attachment method, not several. Dura-Ace 9100 is using 12×100 and 12×142 for disc hubs so I'd say this is definitely going to be the road disc standard. The new Trek Domanes are using it too.

Hopefully it'll be the last new front hub "standard" for a while.

Later,
Stephen

William Lindsay

Jul 22, 2016, 2:21:10 PM7/22/16
to 650b
Another blast of sunshine from Bill "Mr Positive" Lindsay:

Peter White has 12x100 Schmidt hubs....wait for it....IN STOCK!  He only has a few but more are on the way.  Now 12x100 through axle has my full-throated endorsement.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Stephen Poole

Jul 22, 2016, 3:17:43 PM7/22/16
to William Lindsay, 650b

Excellent! My objections to disc brakes are slowly being whittled away; I figured Schmidt would have something in the works...

Thanks Bill.  :-)