FS: 1987 Trek 330 650b'd Frameset - 63.5cm - Reynolds 531

David Banzer

Jan 13, 2016, 11:53:09 AM1/13/16
to 650b
This bike was my Seattle bike for when I visited my family, so it got ridden little. I decided to bring it home, then decided to buy a new frameset that would serve a similar purpose.
Not an urgent sell, I just don't have any immediate plans (or a real need) to build it up.

1987 Trek 330 Frameset
I had a local framebuilder add cantilever brake studs for 650b wheels, then I rattlecanned the area.
Frame could be repainted as there is wear to the original paint, or just ride it as it is.
63.5cm seattube center-center.
Front end geometry is 73degree headtube, 45mm fork rake. I road it with a large saddlebag and it handled great.
I picked this frame to have canti's added to as it check off a lot of boxes for a nice 650b road bike:
Reynolds 531db main tubes, downtube brake bosses, 2 water bottle cages, and a pump peg.
Original geometry specs here: http://vintage-trek.com/images/trek/1987/87Trek23.jpg - mine's the 25.5" size
I ran it mainly with 38mm tires and fenders would fit. I recall fitting it with Fatty Rumpkins and fenders at some point. I test fitted some 42mm Pari Motos (mine are 40mm actual) and clearances are kind of tight at fork crown and chainstays (wheel slid to the back of dropouts) but are acceptable if paved roads are mainly what would be ridden. Fenders would fit as well.
This bike 'planed' very nicely for me.

$300 plus shipping.
I've almost talked myself out of selling it when writing this up. I'll gladly keep it if there is no interest.

Older photos here (meaning some paint chips occurred at some point during use, not reflected in these photos): http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/dabanzer/E24B372C-21E3-4BB9-A15E-9586BCD86C66-6351-0000066096CFE8C2_zpse2ac3877.jpg
Contact offlist if you're interested.
Thanks,
David
Chicago

Thomas McCause

Jan 13, 2016, 1:14:39 PM1/13/16
to 650b
it's probably best that the only "spare" 650b wheelset I have is disc only...
that sure looks like fun...

David Banzer

Jan 31, 2016, 10:19:39 PM1/31/16
to 650b
Bought a new frame for my wife, so looks like this ones needs to go. Dropping the price on this one.
$275 plus shipping.
David
Chicago

Daniel Jackson

Feb 1, 2016, 6:35:28 AM2/1/16
to 650b
Hi David,

What is standover with current setup?

David Banzer

Feb 1, 2016, 8:49:02 AM2/1/16
to 650b
I don't know from memory. I'll put on a wheelset and get a measurement.
Thanks,
David

David Banzer

Feb 3, 2016, 9:45:27 AM2/3/16
to 650b
Financial situation wasn't as dire as I expected, so I'm going to hold onto this frameset for now.
Thanks,
David
Chicago

David Banzer

Mar 3, 2016, 6:55:36 PM3/3/16
to 650b
Getting fickle on this one. Offering it for sale again.

$275 plus shipping.
David
Chicago

David Banzer

Mar 11, 2016, 1:21:55 PM3/11/16
to 650b
Bump and lower. $250 plus shipping.

David Banzer

Mar 26, 2016, 12:19:16 PM3/26/16
to 650b
Bumping again. $225 plus shipping.
David
Chicago

KTY

Mar 28, 2016, 12:46:06 AM3/28/16
to 650b
Photobucket link says the photos are private.

David Banzer

Jun 11, 2016, 3:56:04 PM6/11/16
to 650b
Keep going back and forth on selling this one. I've decided to let it go for sure now.
I'll take some new photos shortly.
$200 plus shipping.

Here's info from the original post:

[...]

Daniel Jackson

Jun 13, 2016, 9:13:37 PM6/13/16
to 650b
standover?

David Banzer

Jul 28, 2016, 2:08:52 PM7/28/16
to 650b
Bump and price lowered to move this out of my storage space.
$125 plus shipping. Paypal Personal.
Local pickup encouraged, but can ship if need be.
Thanks,

David
Chicago