Schwalbe Big One experience

Ray Varella

Aug 23, 2016, 12:00:10 PM8/23/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Is anyone running these tires?
How do they measure out in comparison to the Compass Switchback Hill tires?
Do they require more clearance?
Any input would be useful

Thank you,
Ray
Vallejo CA

--
Ray Varella
IAABC Parrot Division

Justin Hughes

Aug 23, 2016, 12:41:00 PM8/23/16
to 650b
Subscribed. Very curious to try these.

Jeremy Tavan

Aug 23, 2016, 12:55:00 PM8/23/16
to 650b
I have a pair that I plan to mount tubeless but haven't gotten around to it yet. Also interested in other peoples' experience, particularly around longevity. I've recently heard some anecdotal data suggesting that they don't last very long.

Justin Hughes

Aug 23, 2016, 1:17:02 PM8/23/16
to 650b

Fred Blasdel

Aug 23, 2016, 3:58:06 PM8/23/16
to Ray Varella, 650b
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Ray Varella <rayvar...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do they measure out in comparison to the Compass Switchback Hill tires?
Do they require more clearance?

franklyn

Aug 23, 2016, 6:02:02 PM8/23/16
to 650b, rayvar...@gmail.com
I have had them for a while. Here are some pictures. They measure 54mm on Pacenti SL23 rims. They are pretty supple and pretty light, and seem to roll reasonably well. If you useV-brakes on narrowish tires, the brakes are likely to interfere with the sidewalls. I like them, but the interference was a problem for me.

Franklyn

Steve Chan

Aug 23, 2016, 6:31:35 PM8/23/16
to Fred Blasdel, Ray Varella, 650b

   Wow - the rolling resistance measurements on that liteskin Big One tire are crazy, even with tubes. Unfortunately the only bike I have that has enough clearance for that tire is a 26er, which isn't offered for that tire.

"Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny." - Samuel Smiles

Eric Daume

Aug 23, 2016, 6:36:02 PM8/23/16
to Ray Varella, 65...@googlegroups.com
OT to this group, but I have a pair of 700c x 2.35" Big Ones for sale, $75 for the pair:

Just in case someone likes other wheel sizes :)

Eric
Plain City, OH

Ray Varella

Aug 23, 2016, 8:24:36 PM8/23/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Good information

Franklyn, if a bike had clearance for the Switchback Hills with fenders, would these tires fit without fenders!
I'm guessing cantilevers would alleviate the issues you experienced with V-brakes, is that correct?

Fred, same question, would a fender less bike built for SBH tires clears these, sans fenders?

Thanks everyone.
Ray

franklyn

Aug 23, 2016, 9:03:44 PM8/23/16
to 650b
I would guess that if a bike can fit SBH with proper fender clearance, then it can fit Big Ones without fenders.

If one has high-profile cantilever which doesn't require tight adjustments of brake pads like V-brakes, then the side wall interference wouldn't be an issue. Obviously if you use disc brakes this wouldn't be a problem either.

Best,
Franklyn

Bill M.

Aug 23, 2016, 10:54:14 PM8/23/16
to 650b, rayvar...@gmail.com
Mine measured even bigger, around 58 mm on SL23's IIRC.  They aren't mounted at the moment so I can't measure them right now.  No fit problems on an rSogn with cantis and no fenders, but clearance under the hoop of a Tubus Ergo lowrider rack was a bit tight.  One of these days I'll get them remounted onto a different bike with V-brakes, I'll see if there is a clearance problem.

Oh, yeah, I do like them, but have not tried the SBH's for comparison.

Bill
Stockton, CA

Ray Varella

Aug 24, 2016, 11:14:46 PM8/24/16