Seeking cage(s), bridge.

Greg Achtem

Jun 28, 2015, 5:05:15 PM6/28/15
to 650b

Anybody out there have a TA aluminium bottle cage with a black plastic top, or two cages with white plastic top? Good condition users not museum pieces.
Also looking for an orphaned RAID bridge. Maybe someone has some lying around after a blazed on brake project.

Mark Guglielmana

Jun 28, 2015, 11:46:37 PM6/28/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I have a few RAID brakes, saving them for future builds. Email offline and we can see how I can get one to you for just shipping.

Brad

Jul 27, 2015, 8:34:21 PM7/27/15
to 650b, greg....@gmail.com
Are you sure your not looking for a TA steel bottle cage with the plastic top?

This is a near exact duplicate of the 1970's steel TA cage.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-28oz-bicycle-water-bottle-with-steel-cage-white

Of course the bottle is  a lot bigger.

Peter Adler

Jul 27, 2015, 10:56:18 PM7/27/15
to 650b, greg....@gmail.com, riendeau...@gmail.com
I'm guessing that Greg's asking for traditional TA cages because that's what he wants. They'll cost more than shiny-new cages (probably, unless they're beaten up), but that's OK.

The 1950s-1970s steel cage, ref.215, typically has a translucent off-white clip. The later 1970s-1980 aluminum cage, ref.417, is done to the same design as the earlier steel cage; it typically has a black clip.

Peter Adler
who has TA stuff coming out his ears, but can't immediately locate his one 417 cage, and is dwarf-like unwilling to part with his 215 hoard in
Berkeley, CA/USA
ref215.p.th.jpg
ref417.p.th.jpg

Greg Achtem

Jul 27, 2015, 11:19:47 PM7/27/15
to Peter Adler, 650b, riendeau...@gmail.com
What if I say your name? Rumpelstilskin*.

I did get a steel cage with the white top from a bob. I will keep an eye out for an either steel or aluminium one to match, but the pressure's off.

*This is an attempt at humour, not a comment on Pete as I only know him from this list. But hey, if he has a horde.

> On Jul 27, 2015, at 20:56, Peter Adler <divis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Peter Adler
> who has TA stuff coming out his ears, but can't immediately locate his one 417 cage, and is dwarf-like unwilling to part with his 215 hoard in
> Berkeley, CA/USA
> <ref215.p.th.jpg>
> <ref417.p.th.jpg>

Peter Adler

Jul 28, 2015, 3:34:59 AM7/28/15
to 650b, riendeau...@gmail.com, greg....@gmail.com
On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 8:19:47 PM UTC-7, Greg wrote:
*This is an attempt at humour, not a comment on Pete as I only know him from this list. But hey, if he has a horde.

My horde is on vacation this month. I think they're looting and pillaging in New England, but they can't even be bothered to send me a postcard. If they don't bring me back some maple sugar candy or something, there will be a brisk round of floggings when they return to work.

My hoard of TA cages is...well...pretty scabby, and has a fair degree of rust. I salvage them out of junk bins in my travels for what they're really worth - maybe a couple of bucks a pop. If you live in an urban area that had a lot of bikes in the 70s, there will be bashed-up TA steel cages around; they were common as dirt on Bike Boom-era bikes. You just have to keep your eyes open, and don't pay collector-fetish money for anything that isn't absolutely perfect. If there's peeled chrome, rust or bent rails, pay the guy the couple of bucks it's worth. Consumer awareness!

Peter Adler
who realizes he's making a funny at the expense of another spellcheck victim, but it's been a dull evening in
Berkeley, CA/USA