Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 11:09:5217.11.16
an 650b
There have been discussions in the past about the questionable quality of these rims, but they seem like the only truly budget option for 650b rim brake rims. They've been sold out everywhere for quite a while but I happened upon somewhere carrying them yesterday.

http://adrenalineworld.com/weinmann-rim-wei-27-5-584x19-650b-zac19-36-sl-msw/?gclid=CjwKEAiApLDBBRC8oICb9NvKsg0SJAD9yOHsXAsZlRLEtCuU1SUA2BV5OpNDmgp37YOVjAxneLMjWRoCV47w_wcB

$16.89 a rim definitely makes them the cheapest option out there. I've ordered a set to build up for a 650beater and will report back on my experience with the seller/rims. Should be a good option for conversions on the cheap.

Paul
Pasadena, CA

Igor Belopolsky

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 15:00:5917.11.16
an 650b
Very nice - I had these on my rSogn and the San Marcos..were good..Cant really go wrong for $17

Joe Broach

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 15:06:4617.11.16
an Igor Belopolsky, 650b
You can go wrong if you can't get a tire to mount properly! I'm a fair hand at mounting tires, and even using all my tricks I had to give up on these. I wonder if it varies batch to batch?

Best,
joe
pdx or

Chris Cullum

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 15:11:0817.11.16
an Joe Broach, Igor Belopolsky, 65...@googlegroups.com

These rims in 650B are terrible for tire seating. Far worse than the Synergy and that's saying something. Unless they've changed them, however at $17 that seems unlikely.

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 16:10:4917.11.16
an 650b
It's a risk I'm willing to take on a wheelset for a parts bin bike. I will definitely report back on how tire mounting goes when they get built up.

Paul
Pasadena, CA

Igor Belopolsky

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 16:19:4917.11.16
an 650b
I didnt have that much trouble..soap and water surely helped

Brad

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 17:02:3117.11.16
an 650b
They worked okay for me.

mitch....@gmail.com

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 17:04:4117.11.16
an 650b
+1. I had no trouble mounting BSP EL to recent production Zac 19

--Mitch

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
17.11.2016, 17:12:5617.11.16
an 650b
Thanks for the additional reports, all. Waiting on the seller to ship the darn things - I'm fairly dubious since their website didn't show up when I searched for these last week and are now listing three varieties of a rim that is otherwise scarce. I'll just wait and see.

Paul

Joel Niemi

ungelesen,
18.11.2016, 15:34:2018.11.16
an 650b
The website has both 27.5 and 650B sections.  Most of the 27.5 are disc only.  There are some Sun XCD rims in the 650B, though for about 4x the price of those ZACs.

I am holding out for double-eyelet rims, but that may be wishful thinking.

Joel Niemi - Snohomish, Washington, still riding on uncracked Pacenti rims ...

Jeff Bertolet

ungelesen,
18.11.2016, 23:48:3118.11.16
an 650b
The 650B Zac19's are listed on the J&B site under 26" rims. Website indicates they are only available from the Florida warehouse. Any bike shop can order them for you. Mine were drilled for a schrader valves. Was able to get BSPs seated with some alcohol on the bead and a little finesse.

Scott Stulken

ungelesen,
22.11.2016, 13:51:3422.11.16
an 650b
"650Beater", I like that!

Seems like 650B "trickling down" to lower price points bodes well for continued interest in this wheel size.  650A/26"x1-3/8" bikes might have died out a long time ago if there hadn't been low-priced options to keep them going.

- Scott

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
28.11.2016, 19:45:4328.11.16
an 650b
My rims (finally) came in. I'll update again once I build them up early next week.

Paul

Brad

ungelesen,
09.12.2016, 19:02:3809.12.16
an 650b
Should one apply the alcohol internally, or to the rim or to the tire.  If internally, what vintage do you recommend?

Nick Favicchio

ungelesen,
10.12.2016, 10:32:2610.12.16
an 650b
Wow, +1 on Jeff's comment. J&B has 179 of them in the Florida warehouse only and yea, listed under 26" rims. Go git 'em! From your LBS, of course.

Nick Favicchio, who sometimes wishes he didn't have access to J&B and QBP because it's financially VERY dangerous with a baby on the way.

Jeff Bertolet

ungelesen,
10.12.2016, 10:51:1310.12.16
an 650b
I find I purchase much less because listmembers find something to complain about with every product, and also they are endlessly inventive with reusing worn out stuff. The curmudgeonry helps my wallet.

marco araujo

ungelesen,
10.01.2017, 18:20:0210.01.17
an 650b
Just giving a quick note on the vendor, Adrenalineworld. I completed my purchase on 12/26, which included a lot of other little stuff to finish two builds. The little stuff arrived separately via USPS on 1/3, while the ZAC 19 rims arrived via UPS on 1/9. Meager packing -- box was just about to size, and only one line of inflatable packing between the rims -- but they arrived undamaged. Free shipping, as my complete order was just over $100...

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
10.01.2017, 18:33:4410.01.17
an 650b
Sounds similar to my experience - rims were minimally protected, but arrived unharmed. I also realize that I never followed up on the wheel build: the rims built up round and true despite me being a mediocre wheel builder at best. Lots of issues getting tires seated correctly, but I haven't put in a ton of effort since the bike that the wheels will go on is still awaiting modification. Overall not a bad budget rim IMO.

Paul

Igor Belopolsky

ungelesen,
11.01.2017, 09:17:5511.01.17
an 650b
Can you define minimally packed/photo? Ive bought rims and they've come in a cardboard box, close to size - rims wrapped in thin padded wrap and plastic wrap.

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
11.01.2017, 11:41:2811.01.17
an 650b
These came in a very close-fitting box with the rims in their usual clingy plastic wrap. I don't recall any additional foam or padding.

Paul

David Cummings

ungelesen,
11.01.2017, 18:41:4411.01.17
an 650b
If you are familiar with "uglyrm" on eBay, he sells wheel sets made with these rims for ~$125. They come with no-name 8/9/10 speed hubs and stainless straight gauge spokes. They were a cheap way for a then non-wheel-builder to get into 650b, but I wouldn't recommend them if you're putting them on your wife's bike. When she gets a flat and needs to repair it, you'll be getting a phone call with expletives regarding the difficulties with removing, remounting, breaking levers, etc.

If it's for your own bike and you're comfortable going through all the challenges seating a tire correctly, I wouldn't worry. I've mounted Pari-Motos and Soma B lines and both went on the rim without too much trouble, but neither wanted to seat properly. I hadn't learned the baby powder trick yet, maybe that would have helped.

I would like to know how these compare to Ambrosia Keba rims: http://www.xxcycle.com/rim-ambrosio-keba-650b-silver-confreriale,,en.php

David Searching-for-new-650b-project Cummings

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
11.01.2017, 22:26:4411.01.17
an 650b
Interesting, I haven't had any difficulties with mounting tires on these rims. I'm running a Hetre EL on the rear and a Pari-moto on the front. The Pari-moto went on with some encouragement from a tire lever, but the Hetre was downright loose! Loose to the point that with the tire mounted on the rim I can easily lift both beads over one edge. With some windex along the beads and the help of an air compressor, I'm happy to report that both tires seated perfectly today. Overfilling the tires to 80 PSI or so really helped eliminate the last of the poorly seated patches for me.

Paul

Igor Belopolsky

ungelesen,
12.01.2017, 07:33:5212.01.17
an 650b
Were the Hetre new or used? I know they stretch a bit.. My GB Cypress were tight on TB14 and slightly looser after 3rd or 4th mounting

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
12.01.2017, 12:07:2212.01.17
an 650b
Used with unknown mileage (tire came on a bike). I had heard that they stretch over time, but was still surprised by how much (the Pari-Moto was new). In comparison I have a pair of very well used Compass EL tires that were still almost impossible to fit onto PL23s. I will only run that rim tubeless now. I like the Hetre EL enough that I ordered a set from Grand Bois for my next build (only $50 each inc. shipping!).

Paul

Joe Broach

ungelesen,
12.01.2017, 18:11:3312.01.17
an Paul Sherman, 650b
These rims must be (have been?) all over the place in production. My set fit Hetres and CdLVs loosely, and it was impossible to get the beads aligned, and I mean noticeably lumpy rolling misaligned.

Best,
joe b
pdx or.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Paul Sherman <pgsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Used with unknown mileage (tire came on a bike). I had heard that they stretch over time, but was still surprised by how much (the Pari-Moto was new). In comparison I have a pair of very well used Compass EL tires that were still almost impossible to fit onto PL23s. I will only run that rim tubeless now. I like the Hetre EL enough that I ordered a set from Grand Bois for my next build (only $50 each inc. shipping!).

Paul

Paul Sherman

ungelesen,
12.01.2017, 18:20:4912.01.17
an 650b, pgsh...@gmail.com
Harris Cyclery cites poor QC as the reason they no longer carry these, so it wouldn't surprise me too much. It's worth mentioning that my both of my tires were very lumpy/rolling the first time I mounted them. Letting some air out and realigning the high/low places by hand helped a bit, but I still had plenty of wobbles. Windex + air compressor solved all that.

Paul
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten