Non-tubeless rims, now tire levers

Dave Feldman

Apr 9, 2015, 5:27:40 PM4/9/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Yes, hard to beat VAR #425.  I have used those for 30+ years and only run into a few rim/tire combinations they won't tame.  They do reduce to zero the liklihood of ever spearing or pinching a tube while pulling the second side of a tire over.  Re rims, I don't know what the problems have been seating Compass/GB tires to Velocity rims; I have not yet seen anything unusual there.  Disclaimer--I'm a dealer for both products.

--
David Feldman
Feldman's Bicycle Repair

Brad

Apr 11, 2015, 5:10:05 PM4/11/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Is there a North American source?
I have used the bigger tool and it works wonderfully.
It looks like the 425 would fit in a bag on the bike.

Dave Johnston

Apr 11, 2015, 6:15:27 PM4/11/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I have one and on really tight beads it seems to be floppy (like you have to squeeze the two half's as you pry to stabilize it) and then the hook on th tool itself gets caught between the well and the bead, and is really difficult to remove. I find SOMA steel core levers to be much more useful. Is there some kind of trick to using one?

-Dave J

Peter Adler

Apr 11, 2015, 7:48:26 PM4/11/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Vélo Classique in Virginia is a VAR dealer; the owner (Wayne Bingham) has posted that he stocks a lot of their stuff. The current catalog numbers for tire levers are RP-42900-C (with spoke hook) and RP-43100-C (no hook); the former 425 tire jack is now numbered RP-42500-C.

Purcellville, VA USA
540-338-8376

FWIW, I've been using Crank Brothers Speedier Lever recently, including installing a Compass Chinook Pass on a Pacenti PL23. So far, it's worked pretty well.

Peter Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA
speedier-lever-1.png

satanas

Apr 13, 2015, 5:33:29 PM4/13/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I got a set of the VAR levers from SJSC, but haven't tried them yet, and hopefully won't for a long time. The Hetres are going really well, so there's no motivation to take them off!

Later,
Stephen