FS - Honjo Fenders and other Odds and Ends

rob perks

Jan 26, 2016, 6:10:48 PM1/26/16
to 650b
I set up a "Yard Sale" section on our storefront to help move out some items we have had around, some samples, the occasional flash sale etc.  There are a few 650b items in the pack at the moment like B-Line tires at $39 each, and Sim Works Turtle fenders by Honjo, Aluminum and Brass, $95 and $170 respectively

Thanks for taking a look, as we work through things here, the page gets updated a couple times a week, be sure to check back

William Lindsay

Jan 26, 2016, 6:34:31 PM1/26/16
to 650b
Those "Brass" Honjos are swank!  Are they really brass?  Or are they just colorized aluminum?  Are they heavier than the aluminum ones?  I might have to grab those!

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

rob perks

Jan 26, 2016, 6:45:30 PM1/26/16
to 650b
Bill
Solid brass, I just weighed the rears, both in plastic and the brass has a big silica pack in there to keep them from oxidizing.  Al 225g brass 480g.  I have not opened the brass to keep them factory shiny, and I am guessing the silica pack is at least 100g if not more like 150 since it is big.  THe brass are heavier, but not that much in the big picture.  I have a local customer who forced a patina on a build and they look pretty boss.

William Lindsay

Jan 26, 2016, 6:50:31 PM1/26/16
to 650b
forced patina.  Would that qualify as FAUX-BEAU-SAGE?

:)

rob perks

Jan 27, 2016, 10:13:55 AM1/27/16
to 650b
I put together a quick photo album showing the clearances with a 38mm B-Line and a 41.5mm Soma GR since a few folks asked if the fenders would really not clear a Hetre type tire.

You can see that the fenders will probably work on the wider tire, but gets a little tight at the edges.  I consider this too tight for the way we do customer builds.  That said I have seen it far worse on bikes that roll for years.  The risk is up to your comfort levels for how the bike will be used and maintained.  We get a fair number of customers that just use the bikes and don't think about things like clearance until it is make a noise (loud) or breaks.  Distance between the frame mounting points and the top of the GR tire is 14mm.

Also, if your wondering how I sort these kind of mockups on fenders that are not even drilled yet?  Rare earth magnets at the contact points.  It holds the fenders in position at said attachment points, and saves a ton of time taking things apart and putting it all back together while you sort out a full stress relieved fit.

Harald Kliems

Jan 27, 2016, 3:56:49 PM1/27/16
to 650b

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:13:55 AM UTC-6, rob perks wrote:

Also, if your wondering how I sort these kind of mockups on fenders that are not even drilled yet?  Rare earth magnets at the contact points.  It holds the fenders in position at said attachment points, and saves a ton of time taking things apart and putting it all back together while you sort out a full stress relieved fit.
Wish I'd known that trick earlier. Thanks for sharing!

Harald in Madison (Wisc.)

somervillebikes

Jan 27, 2016, 4:44:08 PM1/27/16
to 650b
That's genius!  Thanks for the tip!

Anton

ilter

Jan 28, 2016, 12:01:50 AM1/28/16
to 650b

Hi Rob,

Hope you don't mind answering a Rambler question here.  Do you plan to keep the sunflower yellow in the next batch?  Lately I came to appreciate bikes w/ shorter reach & realized the biggest 650B Rambler (the 57cm) might fit me fine.  If the fit is fine, the next thing is the color :)

Thanks!
ilter in chicago

rob perks

Jan 28, 2016, 9:53:32 AM1/28/16
to 650b
Ilter,
Future Ramblers will be done in smaller batches.  We are still working out the details, but they are not going away.  The batch size will limit the color selection a bit, but something like the Sunflower, if not the same color, will be back.  The likely scenario is each batch being a single color, two at most.  All three were evenly popular, but the US Blue and Sunflower had the most love

FYI, the tires an fenders are still there.  Lots of lookers but no takers, yet?  Ill be adding some more stuff to the yard sale over the weekend too...

rob perks

Feb 5, 2016, 11:01:13 AM2/5/16
to 650b
Updated today with a sample set of Soma GR green labels for $70.  Barely used, a little dirty but in great shape.

William Lindsay

Feb 5, 2016, 3:00:03 PM2/5/16
to 650b
"FYI, the tires an fenders are still there.  Lots of lookers but no takers, yet?"

I'm definitely in that looker boat.  I'm looking at a bike saying "what color should I have this thing powder coated so it'll go with those brass fenders?"  It's lame because I just finished putting black aluminum fenders on that bike.  So, it's a waste, and it's expensive, and it's heavier, and it's more work, and I'll have to spring for a powder coat job on a bike that doesn't really need it.  BUT IT WOULD LOOK SO SWEET!!!

First world handwringing