Chain Lube

Evan Estern

Jul 7, 2017, 12:32:19 PM7/7/17
to 650b
Curious what people are using these days.  I was using Boeshield for ages, and recently tried some new, sticky stuff.  Worked better at first and then made my drivetrain filthy.  I guess it's back to Boeshield, but I was wondering if there was something cleaner, better, etc...  Any recommendations or suggestions?

Max

Jul 7, 2017, 1:03:26 PM7/7/17
to 650b
NFS / Silca. http://www.nixfrixshun.com/nixfrixshun-ultimate-bicycle-chainlube/

A bottle lasts practically forever.

- Max in A2

Kieran J

Jul 7, 2017, 1:41:09 PM7/7/17
to 650b
I do like Boeshield as it sort of cleans and lubricates simultaneously, but it is thin and needs to be reapplied almost constantly. My daily commuter's chain and cassette get a spray/wipe/spray about twice a week.

What sticky stuff did you use? I have used Chain-L in the past and it is how you describe. Makes everything nice and quiet but attracts a lot of dirty and gunks everything up. Something in the middle would be ideal, IMO.

KJ

eric moss

Jul 7, 2017, 1:42:44 PM7/7/17
to 650b
+1 on the NFS.  It's not as clean as ProLink, but it doesn't smell like petro-death, and it makes the chain quiet.  I even use it in hubs (if they are well sealed).

Scott Stulken

Jul 7, 2017, 1:50:05 PM7/7/17
to 650b
I'm a Chain-L guy.  Wipe the chain really good after applying, and after a ride or two, and it won't get too gunky.  Then you can forget about it for at least 500 miles.  And you can't beat the smell!

- Scott

Evan Estern

Jul 7, 2017, 4:16:30 PM7/7/17
to 650b
I have been using NFS for the past 1500 miles or so.  I installed a new chain and cassette so I figured it was a good opportunity to audition a new product.  It made the chain really quiet but as the miles piled up wiping the chain after each ride just wasn't getting rid of the accumulating gunk.  Today I took the drive train apart and scrubbed everything clean.  As much as I like that it's quiet and the way it does seem to last on the chain, I'm not happy with all the gunk buildup.  Gets on everything and It must be wearing the parts out fast, too.  I was hoping there might be a magic bullet out there, meanwhile I'm pondering whether to go back to Boeshield which is stays pretty clean though maybe does not lube that well, or stick with the NFS and just deal with doing a heavy cleaning every month or two.

HillDancer

Jul 8, 2017, 12:23:48 PM7/8/17
to 650b
For long lived, very low friction chain lube, Lilly Lube; the downside is residue build-up.

For very clean, quiet operation, Rock "N" Roll Holy Cow.  It is important to follow application instructions for best results.  Lubrication continues to be affective long after the chain appears to be dry.

Evan Estern

Jul 8, 2017, 3:46:17 PM7/8/17
to 650b
I can't find Chain-L around here, (NW CT) not too many shops and none of them carry it.  Sounds interesting, though.  So does Lilly Lube and R&R.  Thinking about it, (ok obsessing about it) for the past day or two, I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that maybe finding the exact match between product and application is as important or even more important than which product.  I already invested in a $16 bottle of NFS, so I'm going to use that stuff up, and just come up with a way to get it deeper into the chain (and less on the outside if possible).

Ryan Watson

Jul 8, 2017, 4:06:58 PM7/8/17
to Evan Estern, 650b
I started using Squirt Lube several years ago after someone either here or iBOB suggested it. Best I've found so far and the only one I've found that I can reapply after simply wiping off the chain. With other lubes, I get a black gooey mess and accelerated chain wear unless I remove and completely clean the chain first.

Ryan in Albuquerque

On Jul 7, 2017, at 10:32, Evan Estern <e.es...@me.com> wrote:

Curious what people are using these days.  I was using Boeshield for ages, and recently tried some new, sticky stuff.  Worked better at first and then made my drivetrain filthy.  I guess it's back to Boeshield, but I was wondering if there was something cleaner, better, etc...  Any recommendations or suggestions?

Joe Broach

bikerbob

Jul 8, 2017, 6:20:35 PM7/8/17
to 650b
I've been using motorcycle chain lubes for 45 years (various brands, currently what I picked up at a Harley dealer).  For a small carry-along bottle, TriFlow or ProLink.  The spray on motorcycle lubes penetrate well and don't fling off, and buildup/gunk don't seem to be excessive.  I reapply and wipe down about every 350 miles, and then just replace the chain at 2500 - 3000 (along with a complete cleaning of rings and cassette).

Bob in NC

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2017, 6:22:13 PM7/8/17
to Joe Broach, Ryan Watson, Evan Estern, 650b
You take a brand new , soak it in degreaser over night- air Blast the chain dry- " for northwest guys place in oven  for a 1 hour. Vegas guys lay on sidewalk out side. Soak full chain in half filled can of white lighting .. Done for life.. Wipe clean add few drops from time to time. Done this on all my touring bicycles with Whipper-men chains.. Easy to take care of an extra miles .. The Best.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 650b+uns...@googlegroups.com.

John Roberts

Jul 9, 2017, 9:45:00 AM7/9/17
to 650b
I use a generic synthetic oil I've had for years. It's served me well. Every 500 miles or so, I will spend some time fastidiously dropping oil into every link. Currently using a Connex stainless.

Scott Stulken

Jul 9, 2017, 2:06:38 PM7/9/17
to 650b
I've never seen Chain-L in a local store either.  It's easy to buy online, and Francis threw in a small "sample" bottle with the order -- not sure if he still does that.

For getting the oil deeper into the chain, I often do this:  the chain is oiled by laying it out on a long piece of cardboard, and I let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes.  Then I'll pick up the chain by the ends, hold the length in a narrow "U"-shape, and alternate raising one end while lowering the other.  This articulates the chain and encourages the oil to move around inside.  Once I've done that a few times, I'll wipe it off extra-thoroughly with a paper towel and install.  This routine is probably overkill, but only takes a couple extra minutes and I find it kinda fun.

- Scott

David Cummings

Jul 10, 2017, 8:36:25 AM7/10/17
to 650b
For bikes ridden on MT FS roads I use good ol' paraffin. I have a small crock pot full of it and keep reusing it. I put a screen in the bottom to keep the chain out of any funk that comes off during re-applications. I soak for about 10 minutes to ensure the chai heats up and the paraffin penetrates. It doesn't last forever, but it does a good job keeping the powder-like dust from coating an oiled chain. I use white lightning on the quick link.

David in Montana

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 9:47:46 AM7/10/17
to David Cummings, 650b
Yes the key with white lighting , as I wrote before , is stripping that " new " chain down to metal on metal an then soaking ( not applying) the under 10 ounces of the stuff. Buying a 80$ wipplemen chain , using a7$ bottle of lube up- is not a problem. Most just don't do it., so Wax is king:):)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 5:36 AM, David Cummings <flath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For bikes ridden on MT FS roads I use good ol' paraffin. I have a small crock pot full of it and keep reusing it. I put a screen in the bottom to keep the chain out of any funk that comes off during re-applications. I soak for about 10 minutes to ensure the chai heats up and the paraffin penetrates. It doesn't last forever, but it does a good job keeping the powder-like dust from coating an oiled chain. I use white lightning on the quick link.
>
> David in Montana

Eli Naeher

Jul 10, 2017, 2:28:21 PM7/10/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 8, 2017, at 04:06 PM, Ryan Watson wrote:

I started using Squirt Lube several years ago after someone either here or iBOB suggested it. Best I've found so far and the only one I've found that I can reapply after simply wiping off the chain. With other lubes, I get a black gooey mess and accelerated chain wear unless I remove and completely clean the chain first.

Squirt is fantastic in dry weather, and pretty useless in wet. In winter conditions (slush, salt) I have not found a wax-based lube that lasts more than a few hours. I really wish I could, because I hate having oily grime on my bike, and I especially hate getting it all over my hands and clothes if I have to fix a flat--when I used the melted-paraffin-wax method I used to be able to grab my chain with a fist and there'd be no marks on my palm.

-Eli

eric moss

Jul 10, 2017, 2:40:01 PM7/10/17
to 650b
I remember Oil of Rohloff being my favorite wet weather lube, but I gave mine away when I remembered I don't like living in rainy climates.  There's no getting away from the grime entirely, but Oil of Rohloff is biodegradable, and it seems to float the gunk off.

Geoff Wendt

Jul 10, 2017, 10:41:05 PM7/10/17
to 650b
I've been using NFS for three years.  It's great when applied sparingly and cleaned up.  It's the best I think. I gave a small bottle to a friend and the next time I saw him, he has a half lb of sand stuck to his chain because he used way too much and didn't wipe it off after warming it up on a short ride.  "A little dab will do ya!"

Max

Jul 12, 2017, 9:50:02 AM7/12/17
to 650b

Michael Arciero

Jul 13, 2017, 6:28:52 AM7/13/17
to 650b
I've used ProLink mostly for about 15 years, and also Finish Line, Boeshield, and various others.  I prefer the ProLink. Chain L in the winter after everything turns to crap.

Have not tried the NFS. On the web site they say other lubes are mostly solvents. I'm sure that is true for some more than others, and not necessarily a bad thing.

With the chain getting noisy on our tandem during a recent camping trip, and only market and convenience stores for services, and wanting to try wax lube at some point, I almost tried a deodorant stick. I'll bet that would have worked. I ended up using 3-in-1 oil. It worked great and was surprisingly clean. The chain still silent hundreds of miles later.

Am definitely going to try the wax at some point though. Maybe this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBAOC6C?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

Jim Bronson

Jul 13, 2017, 9:01:59 AM7/13/17
to 650b
I like to send in the oil on my car for chemical analysis periodically.  It would be interesting to send some popular lubes in and see what all they contain.  The oil analysis kits cost $15.49 at NAPA plus tax and postage to send the sample to the lab.

signature goes here