650b in PDX

J Peterberger

Nov 5, 2014, 6:43:31 PM11/5/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Hello to All,
I'm interested in converting my '86 Trek 560 to 650b to allow for a decent sized tire AND fenders. In its stock condition, a 28 mm (measured) tire just barely clears the brake bridge and I'm searching for calipers to replace the Campy Gran Compe units that have trouble stopping me while I'm going uphill. At this time I have no other bikes using 590mm diameter rims and I'd like to see how they'd fit my frame before building a new wheelset.

Is there anyone in the PDX metro area (or Salem) that has a set of wheels I could mount and look at? I live in Newberg but can travel whenever it's convenient to you.

Thanks for helping,
Jay

rcnute

Nov 6, 2014, 3:20:28 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Newberg, birthplace of Herbert Hoover!

Jay, I had a couple of 560s from that vintage and seem to recall they had fairly tight clearances.  I'd guess a 32mm tire with fenders would work though.

Ryan

J Peterberger

Nov 6, 2014, 3:30:54 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan,
I'd be happy with 32s and fenders. I'm just hoping to test the theory out before buying the calipers and building the wheels

Jay

Jim Bronson

Nov 6, 2014, 3:58:37 PM11/6/14
to J Peterberger, 650b
650B is actually 584mm diameter, not 590.

Use Tektro R559 brakes on your 650B conversion, they have 55-73mm
reach. Available in recessed or nutted versions.

My conversion was similar to yours, e.g., 700 x 30mm tires had
infinitesimal clearance.
> --

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!

hobbs.c...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2014, 4:08:54 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
It just so happens I started working on a conversion of a 560 in the last week.  I dimpled the stays and spread them to 130, all with decent results.  A compass 38 tire fits pretty well.  The fork is a different story.  I reraked it to about 60mm of rake.  A 38 fits, barely, assuming that it will remain perfectly true.  there is less than a 1/4 inch between the tire and the fork crown.  I think with 32's you would be OK, but even then I think fenders will be tight.  I am going to put canti studs on it along with some rack bosses.  I could send you pics if you are curious.
Charles Hobbs

rcnute

Nov 6, 2014, 4:18:39 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
In the interest of making the 650B listserv a repository of accurate presidential history I correct my misstatement and clarify Newberg was Herbert Hoover's boyhood home (vs. his birthplace of West Branch Iowa).

Carry on,

Ryan

J Peterberger

Nov 6, 2014, 10:56:39 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jjpete...@gmail.com
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I don't know where I got the 590mm from...

I was planning on the R559 calipers and already have a new set of levers.

Jay

J Peterberger

Nov 6, 2014, 10:59:47 PM11/6/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Charles,
I, too, plan on spreading the rear to accept a set of Shimano 600 130mm hubs but I don't think I'll be messing with the fork. I will keep the caliper brakes and hope that the 32s and fenders play well together.

I've had this bike since I bought it new. It's been repainted a few times but this will be a big change...my first 650b bike.

Jay

Brian O

Nov 8, 2014, 12:12:44 PM11/8/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
590 is 650a, and could easily be used instead of 650b. Though the tire selection is nowhere near the same. Col da lavie does come in 590/650a

Brent Avery

Nov 17, 2014, 6:51:12 PM11/17/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com

  I set up a 1981 Fuji S12S frame as a low trail 650b bike ( fork rake is at least 65mm ) and although not being a Trek is not helping your situation it went together as though made for 650b. I had it cold set to 135mm as that was the wheel set I had, using Shimano  9 speed cassette with Campagnolo 10 speed Ergo shifters it is just about my favorite bike. I had many of the parts on hand from another build so that helped a lot. It will take a 38mm tire plus 45mm fenders without issue, maybe a bit close at the fork and would take 42mm tires without fenders, though it rides very comfortably as is. The brakes are Dia Compe 750 center pulls. I guess what I am suggesting is the Fuji is a great candidate if the Trek does not measure up much as you were hoping.

  Brent Avery
  Burnaby, B.C., Canada

Harold Bielstein

Nov 17, 2014, 7:01:56 PM11/17/14
to Brian O, 65...@googlegroups.com
The CdLV in a 590 is a plusher (word?) ride than a 584 but how well does it fit a 584 rim?
> On Nov 8, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Brian O <p365p3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 590 is 650a, and could easily be used instead of 650b. Though the tire selection is nowhere near the same. Col da lavie does come in 590/650a
>
> --

Hal Bielstein
hkbie...@rap.midco.net

Tony DeFilippo

Nov 18, 2014, 7:26:31 AM11/18/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Brent that Fuji if a sweet looking conversion. Looks like you nailed all the details.

Andrew Drummond

Dec 12, 2014, 4:23:34 PM12/12/14
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Jay, I'm in NE Portland and I have a set of wheels (with 130 rear spacing) you could check out. It's kind of a long trip from Newberg, but if you haven't found anything else they're available.

Andrew Drummond
Portland, OR

Jay Swenberger

Jul 21, 2015, 8:17:38 AM7/21/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
We're back in town and I'd like to get 2 bike converted over to 650b. Are you still available for me to test a couple of frames for tire sizing?  I can come up to Portland either Sunday or Monday.

Thanks,
Jay

Mark Guglielmana

Jul 21, 2015, 10:43:06 PM7/21/15
to 650b
I'm in SW Portland if it doesn't work out with Andrew.

Jay Swenberger

Jul 25, 2015, 6:42:59 PM7/25/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com
Mark,
Thanks for the generous offer. Would you be available any time this coming Monday or Tuesday?

Jay

Jay Swenberger

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59:02 PM7/27/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com, jrswen...@gmail.com
Thanks for the time Mark. Now to finish those new wheels...

Jay

Jay Swenberger

Sep 9, 2015, 12:49:08 PM9/9/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com, jrswen...@gmail.com
Mark,
My wife loves the Babyshoe Pass tires and fenders. Thanks again for the test fits. My Cypress tires ride nice...now I just need some fenders before the rains return for good!

Jay

Mark Guglielmana

Sep 9, 2015, 5:38:13 PM9/9/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com, jrswen...@gmail.com
No problem, good to meet you! I'm thinking of getting something lighter than my hetres for next season myself.