VO Diagonale building thoughts

Theodor Rzad

Jun 28, 2016, 3:24:42 PM6/28/16
to 650b
A couple of weeks ago built up a pair of Diagonales; 36H on Edco Racer 130mm (DT Comp, brass, 3x) and 32H on SON 28 Klassik (DT Comp, brass, 3x).

They were easy to lace and tensioned up evenly. I just couldn't get them dead straight/round. Anyone else experience some inexorable wiggle in both axes? It sure looks like some extrusion movement to me. With the recent exception of a pair of 700C Synergies, I've only built my wheels with Open Pros for the last number of years. Those build dead on consistenly for me. The Synergies are not quite at that level, but much closer than the Diagonales.

So far I've got about 100 commuting miles (terrible urban asphalt) w/ 42mm GravelKings and 100 miles of fireroad/terrible country asphalt w/ BSP-ELs. Flawless performers; the tension remains as built, the Kool-Stop salmons bedded in quickly, and they're silent. Aside from the too-much-caffiene wiggle in the stand and being a bit portly on the scale (550g), I can't fault them.

Other experiences?

As a quick aside: How well do tires seat on Diagonales for everyone? Both the GK 42s and BSP ELs have taken 2-3 rounds of nudging to get them round enough. I'm using Velox 16mm tape BTW.

Thanks! - Ted in SF

Chris Cullum

Jun 28, 2016, 3:33:06 PM6/28/16
to Theodor Rzad, 650b

I got a used rear wheel (like new) that I replaced the NDS spokes with DB because I'm kind anal about wheels and I had the right length on hand. The wheel trued up fine but it's not super precise like an Open Pro or DT rim. It's generally fine, about the same quality as a Sun CR18 I'd say. All in all ok but I do find the price is pretty high for what you're getting. Tires seated ok, better than Synergies but I found the bead seat to be quite loose.

Justin Hughes

Jun 29, 2016, 9:49:24 AM6/29/16
to 650b
Get rid of the Velox and put one pass of Stan's or two passes of Pacenti/Velocity tape on there and you'll notice mounting and removing tires is much easier. Make sure the tire bead is in the center channel as you try to mount the opposite bead.

Chris Cullum

Jun 29, 2016, 2:24:57 PM6/29/16
to Justin Hughes, 650b

On Jun 29, 2016 06:49, "Justin Hughes" <justin...@me.com> wrote:

> Get rid of the Velox and put one pass of Stan's or two passes of Pacenti/Velocity tape on there and you'll notice mounting and removing tires is much easier. Make sure the tire bead is in the center channel as you try to mount the opposite bead.

Mounting and removing tires on these rims is not an issue. In fact it's too easy/loose IMO. The issue Theodor was having is getting them to seat straight. I don't have the wheel anymore but mine seemed ok in this respect, much better than Synergies.

> On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 3:24:42 PM UTC-4, Theodor Rzad wrote:
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago built up a pair of Diagonales; 36H on Edco Racer 130mm (DT Comp, brass, 3x) and 32H on SON 28 Klassik (DT Comp, brass, 3x).
>>
>> They were easy to lace and tensioned up evenly. I just couldn't get them dead straight/round. Anyone else experience some inexorable wiggle in both axes? It sure looks like some extrusion movement to me. With the recent exception of a pair of 700C Synergies, I've only built my wheels with Open Pros for the last number of years. Those build dead on consistenly for me. The Synergies are not quite at that level, but much closer than the Diagonales.
>>
>> So far I've got about 100 commuting miles (terrible urban asphalt) w/ 42mm GravelKings and 100 miles of fireroad/terrible country asphalt w/ BSP-ELs. Flawless performers; the tension remains as built, the Kool-Stop salmons bedded in quickly, and they're silent. Aside from the too-much-caffiene wiggle in the stand and being a bit portly on the scale (550g), I can't fault them.
>>
>> Other experiences?
>>
>> As a quick aside: How well do tires seat on Diagonales for everyone? Both the GK 42s and BSP ELs have taken 2-3 rounds of nudging to get them round enough. I'm using Velox 16mm tape BTW.
>>
>> Thanks! - Ted in SF

B Sloma

Jun 30, 2016, 7:42:57 AM6/30/16
to 650b

Built some a few weeks ago.  There are some imperfection in the rims themselves, but not unlike other non machined rims.  Didn't seem enough to be a concern.

@customwheelsmpls

Mark Guglielmana

Jul 5, 2016, 1:00:21 PM7/5/16
to 650b
I have two sets of 650b wheels that are exact opposites when it comes to tire seating, both have 42mm Hetres. My Pacenti SL23's are the only wheels that I need to use levers to remove the tires. When I inflate, they fit tight. My diagonales come on and off with one hand. To fit them, I pump them up to about 25psi, then go around and massage them into place. The first time I mounted them it felt like there was a serious out of round condition when I rode, which went away over time.

I'd like to find a Goldilocks rim for my next build - not too tight, not too loose.

On the build side, I found the Pacentis to be super stiff, whereas the Diagonales seemed soft and easy to move with small turns of the nipple.

Geoff Wendt

Jul 6, 2016, 11:05:16 AM7/6/16
to 650b
You'll still want to try some Stan's or something similar.   I agree with the other poster.  I used to use Velox tape and I'd always have to fiddle with mounting the tire because the velox tape isn't slippery and it grips and holds on to the bead of the tire, not allowing it to slip in to place.  I switched to Stan's and the problem went away.  Now I can usually just over inflate a little and it pops on to the bead evenly, every time.  Needless to say, I switched all of my wheels to Stan's tape because I'm now running compass tires on all of my bikes except for the vintage Paramounts because they're all 27".

Joseph Kopera

Jul 6, 2016, 2:42:41 PM7/6/16
to 650b
For the first few hundred miles mine kept going slightly out of true until I took them to a different wheel-builder while on vacation (Kingdom Bicycles near Blue Hill, ME) who re-tensioned the spokes.  The original builder who laced them up had the spoke tension pretty close to the max tension for the rim.  Kingdom Bikes re-did them at a slightly lower tension, checked the dish, and they've been trouble-free since.

Thanks to everyone for the tip on the Stan's rim tape... been having similar issues with seating and Velox tape-- easy mounting, but have to adjust a bit. Agree with Mark-- would like something a little less loose.

Cheers,
Joe