Release time!

The Beez

Mar 26, 2017, 3:54:47 PM3/26/17
to 4tH-compiler
Hi 4tH-ers!

It's near April, so that means that we are entering a frozen period in order to get a new release out. Now, it won't be very exciting, although there are some neat things added:

- a host of printf() like routines (I added a near complete implementation today, featuring floating point, doubles, unsigned and hex representations);
- the completion of the tiny DBMS we started a few years ago;
- a nice ETL routine, which may make reading those CSV files even easier and more bulletproof;
- INI file managers;
- new randomizers;
- binary trees.

.. but no new compiler words. It will also be the last of the v3.62 series, since I intend to add some nice things in the v3.63 series. Yes, we've always had R@, on occasion we used R'@ (not too often, because it is an expensive word with 4 bytecodes) and even rarer "j" - because it is dirty. But what if we could use the first three return stack items as a kind of registers, e.g. for termination values or constants. That could help to avoid stack clutter in some circumstances.

So that is what we are going to do. R@, R'@ and the up and coming R"@ will be first class words you can use without hesitation. It may not seem much, but I can assure you it will transform your programming and diminish the need for local variables significantly.

For now it is down to preparing the documentation and compile those executables. I'll keep you posted!

Hans Bezemer