Playing around with MikeOS

The Beez

Oct 9, 2016, 8:03:49 AM10/9/16
to 4tH-compiler
Hi 4tH-ers!

What are you gonna do on a lazy Sunday afternoon? You start playing. I have been playing around with MikeOS, an original Operating System, which you can download here: http://mikeos.sourceforge.net/. Note it is nothing like Linux or even MS-DOS. It's just an educational tool.

Simply rip the floppy image (mikeos.flp) from the archive and run it with QEMU:

   qemu -fda mikeos.flp -boot a

It comes with a syntactically very simple Basic and a FIG Forth interpreter (VLIST for all supported words, SYSTEM to quit). The Basic supports only single letter variables, no multiple statements and some simple looping with DO..LOOP. It doesn't seem to have line numbers, though, but it does have labels.

I took two programs, ADVNTURE.BAS and CALC.BAS and tried to port them to uBasic/4tH, which proved to be quite easy - in spite of the graphical commands and the strings. Strange, this was quite another style of Basic, but porting was a breeze anyway.

As usual, I have tried to maintain the style so you can see for yourself how different this thing really is. Code in SVN.

Hans Bezemer