Answer regarding RCW question last night

Angyl

Jan 31, 2019, 5:42:26 PM1/31/19
to byl...@43rddems.org, McDonald, David

I asked DMD:
Question!
Rcw 29a.80.020 lists “committeeman” and “woman”. Also only mentions county reps not LD.
1) is there an out of compliance problem with the gender neutral language at state/county/LD?
2) How do LD SCMs come in? State party charter? Does this relate to your talk at the 44th?

He replied and gave me permission to share:
1) No, there is no out of compliance problem.  The omnibus gender equity amendment I did to the Charter includes " For purposes of determining
whether a requirement that a male and a female be selected is met it shall be
sufficient that two people of different genders have been selected. Whenever the
phrase “of the opposite sex” is used it shall be understood to mean “of a different
gender.”  Charter VII.C.2 (last two sentences)

The Charter also provides in Article V.A.1 that "State laws relating to Party operations shall be observed unless in conflict with this Charter and other provisions adopted pursuant to this Charter."  And in Article IV the statutory committee (the only thing the statute refers to) delegates all its authority to the central committee by bylaw.  So even if the statute had an impact it would simply create a vacancy in a body that has already delegated all of its authority, including the ability to elect a chair, to the Central Committee created by Charter.

2.  Yes, the Charter created LD organizations and LD SCMs.  The litigation was to force the new central committee that included them to be called into session and to elect officers, etc.

The Charter gender equity amendment was expressly written to override all other documents immediately without waiting for legislatures and other related organizations to clean up their rules.  I wanted to be sure it was in force for the reorganiazation that just occurred rather than have to wait till after the Presidential election.

-Angyl

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Scott Alspach

Jan 31, 2019, 7:15:06 PM1/31/19
to Angyl, byl...@43rddems.org
Thanks for tracking down the answer!  It looks like whoever mentioned that we have a statutory committee that just delegates all of its authority was correct.

Annabelle Backman

Feb 1, 2019, 11:51:05 AM2/1/19
to Scott Alspach, Angyl, byl...@43rddems.org
Hmm. This leaves me with several more questions:
  1. Is there an amended copy of the party Charter and WSDCC bylaws? I still can only find the ones from 2018-09-16, which I'm led to believe are out-of-date?

  2. RCW 29A.80.020 states "Each political party organization may adopt rules governing its own organization and the nonstatutory functions of that organization" (emphasis mine), which suggests to me that the party org has no inherent power over the Statutory State Committee. Article IV in the party Charter imposes a number of rules on the Statutory State Committee, but where is the Charter's authority over the Statutory State Committee derived from?

  3. Does the Statutory State Committee actually meet for re-org? Are there bylaws adopted by the Statutory State Committee that explicitly defer and delegate authority to the SCC? If so, where can I find them? :)

  4. I don't understand how this statement in the Charter can be valid:

  1. "State laws relating to Party operations shall be observed unless in conflict with this Charter and other provisions adopted pursuant to this Charter."

  1. This reads to me as "We will follow state law, unless we disagree with it." That's not how laws work. Am I misreading this?

  2. The phrase "of opposite sexes" occurs twice in the RCWs, applying to the Chair and Vice Chair of the Statutory State Committee and each County Central Committee. The party Charter cannot unilaterally declare the meaning of that phrase within the context of statutes. Is there any legal precedent for:
    1. Interpreting this phrase (in the RCWs) as meaning "of different genders"
    2. That gender is self-asserted (as opposed to being determined by birth certificate or state ID)
      1. (The state's protections against discrimination based on gender identity might apply in this case, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head)
    3. That a non-binary gender is "of opposite sex" or "of different gender" to both a male-gendered and female-gendered person?

Annabelle Backman
Vice Chair for Technology | Washington State 43rd District Democrats

Angyl

Feb 1, 2019, 6:23:39 PM2/1/19
to Annabelle Backman, Scott Alspach, McDonald, David, byl...@43rddems.org
Hi David, more questions! I took a stab at some of them but please correct me if I’m wrong.

1) I TOTALLY spaced that part. David, the link on the State page goes here:
Where can we find the one with your updates? Who should I contact about getting the Page updated?

2,3) I’m guessing the “SSC” as County sans LD rep body gathers at Reorg and immediately passes Bylaws, which delegate their power to the larger WSDCC as defined? I’ve never actually been to a state reorg yet.

4) I’m interpreting what DMD said as like, there might possibly be a challenge there, but if there was, it would impact the SSC which in Bylaws has already passed authority to WSDCC. That new authority designates and legitimizes the nongendered position assignments. So you could theoretically challenge the seating of a non-binary SSC Member, but even doing that wouldn’t block the rest of the authority passing?

5) Not even going to guess there.

- Angyl

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/43rd-bylaws/CABRLSOukafpcfkONuYcR-HDT0z-dvX5RNrmcQKg%3DZ7mZ1fCX4w%40mail.gmail.com.

Angyl

Feb 1, 2019, 7:13:41 PM2/1/19
to McDonald, David, Annabelle Backman, Scott Alspach, byl...@43rddems.org
That was wonderful! Thank you so much!

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 4:07 PM, McDonald, David <david.m...@klgates.com> wrote:

Angyl, attached please find a two page memo that I did for Tina last fall (and which was distributed to party chairs in advance of reorganization) that addresses the point raised in 4 and 5 below and has citations to the cases.

Feb 1, 2019, 8:57:53 PM2/1/19
to Angyl, McDonald, David, Scott Alspach, byl...@43rddems.org
Thank you for clearing this up for us, David! I feel a lot better about this knowing there is plenty of precedent supporting it.

I imagine that we're not the only bylaws committee that could benefit from this memo. It'd be great to get it (or a distillation of its salient points) up onto the State Party Documents page. Or maybe into some kind of bylaws development toolkit? Maybe Amy could follow up with State, or at least find out who the right person is to contact about this?