Is GE accepting models again?

Keith Lurie

Feb 12, 2014, 4:27:02 AM2/12/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I just got the e-mail 'Congratulations - your model is live in Google Earth!'

Bla, bla, bla, then it ends with "Please keep up the good work, and we look forward to seeing more of your models soon."

Does this mean Google is looking forward to seeing my models, even though the rest of the world wont see them?

Google Craig

Feb 12, 2014, 9:20:48 AM2/12/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
No Keith, the wording just hasn't been updated.

    - Craig

BvN Nuhaven

Feb 24, 2014, 11:02:19 PM2/24/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig, I've got 30+ models accepted into Google Earth since 2012 and wanted to run a geo-modelling business. I live in a rural area and people weren't interested. So haven't done any geo-modelling for ages.
I kept trying and got my first client last week saw her this afternoon to show her the model and she was happy so I went to upload and got the 'not google earth ready' message.
Couldn't see the check box so tried gioogling the search only to find on forums that 3D buildings layer is no longer supported.
Why????  I don't understand, thought Googles stated aim was to have the world 3d modelled??
 Do you think they may do a 180 and reinstate this function. As an unemployed 50+ male I was really hopeful of making a business geo-modelling and now that the models can't get on Google Earth, I'm struggling to see how I can push geo-modelling as a business. Am really hacked off and confused. Are you able to shed light on this decision?
thanx
Mike Ross

Google Craig

Feb 25, 2014, 11:37:15 AM2/25/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, I've had to delete your multiple identical posts, as there's no need to repeat posts.

I understand your disappointment. Everything you'd need to know has been covered in THIS THREAD.

Best,

    - Craig

BvN Nuhaven

Feb 25, 2014, 6:46:36 PM2/25/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig, sorry about multiple post, my PC is a bit flakey at mo.
 Appreciate your'e busy at mo and also the focal point of peoples anger and dissappointment.
Is 3D warehouse still going for a while or is the plan to kill that too?
What does this mean for Google Earth and SU - How long before you cancel the facility for generating KMZ files of our models
If we're not supposed to judge the new auto meshing technology for 5-8 years, then why kill all our efforts now?
I don't remember in history that we killed all the horses and carts 5-8 years before the automobile was perfected.
I'm not too good at navigating these forums, took me ages to find this reply from you.
 Thank you in advance for answering my questions above re 3D warehouse and Kmz generation
BvN (Mike)

Google Craig

Feb 25, 2014, 7:09:30 PM2/25/14
Hi Mike, I'll try to answer your questions and appreciate that you went through that long thread to look up the history.

3D Warehouse is operated by Trimble, and is planned to continue towards the future. 3D Warehouse serves much more than just Geo-located models and many companies have large collections like appliances for house designers to use in their designs.

Trimble also owns SketchUp (bought it from Google almost two years ago) and I believe that KMZ support is ongoing. KMZ itself is more than just 3D model file format, and is embedded in many technologies, so I don't see it being abandoned for some time.

The horse and car analogy can only go so far so let's talk about 3D buildings generation. The processes involved in judging, and publishing the user created models are no longer being supported internally, as we are focusing on the newer technology of stereophotogrammetry and the processes to support that. It's an entirely different  process and we can't do both, unfortunately. The process for publishing the user generated 3D is so complicated that it took us from August, to February to successfully push the last, albeit huge, data push. It just isn't feasible to continue, and that's why we had made the decision to shut it down.

I understand that this is frustrating, especially because it's out of your control, but it is the only way we can drive the technology forward, and there's really never a good time to stop supporting something that people want to continue using.

Best,

    - Craig

Aerilius

Feb 28, 2014, 5:22:38 AM2/28/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,
Craig has explained it perfectly, that 3D Warehouse will continue to exist, and where Trimble SketchUp on one side and Google on the other side are headed.

As it's the only way how Google can drive the new photogrammetric 3d meshes, the only way to drive user-created 3d buildings is if this community finds a way on their own. There is a slight chance, if the community gathers together and wants this.

peterg/gipuzkoa3d

Mar 2, 2014, 12:51:25 PM3/2/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hola Aerillius..

Hoy he visitado mi ciudad en openstreetmaps, y veo algunos arboles y todos los bloques blancos de los edificios..

Tiene muy buena presentación...    seguro que entre todos lo haremos mejor..

Donde hay una ayuda para añadir mis edificios ?

Saludos

El viernes, 28 de febrero de 2014 11:22:38 UTC +1, Aerilius escribio:
Hola Mike,
Craig ha explicado perfectamente, que la Galería 3D seguirá existiendo, y donde Trimble SketchUp en un lado y Google por otro lado se dirigen. Ya que es la única manera de cómo Google puede manejar las nuevas mallas 3D fotogramétricos, la única manera de conducir en 3D los edificios creados por el usuario es si esta comunidad encuentra un camino por su cuenta. Hay una probabilidad , si la comunidad se reúne y quiere que esto.