Unable to download a structure generated in Building Maker as a SketchUp 8 file.

Ado

Oct 29, 2010, 1:16:30 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone else seen this problem? And if so, did you manage to solve it?

On the model page there is a button "Download Model" that gives you a dropdown list to select the format you want:

Google SketchUp 8 (.skp)
Google Earth 4 (.kmz)
Collada (.zip)

I can select the bottom two, but if I click the top option I get the following dialog:

"Generating SketchUp File
[animation]  Generating...
We're using your Building Maker model to generate a SketchUp file. This might take a few moments."

Waiting a long time (more than ten minutes) produces the following popup:

"File Generation Error
We ran into an error while generating a SketchUp file. Please try again."

Trying again does not produce any different results. I have also tried making some minor edits, resaving the model, then trying again. Same answer.

Importing the model as a component in SketchUp works, but then I would only get the textures already painted onto surfaces, not the "Match Photo" scenes that you get if you download the Building Maker model as a SketchUp file. This makes it hard to continue building.

Bryce S

Oct 29, 2010, 1:40:25 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ado

Can you post a link to the model? We thought we had improved this issue so we'd definitley like to take a look.

~Bryce

Ado

Oct 29, 2010, 2:10:36 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d8f7765cdb7aee6eb8d9c180b680652

I have edited it since making my previous post, but if past minor edits are anything to go by the problem will probably still be present.

The reason I wanted to take it over to SketchUp was some slightly misaligned photos and also a roof design that is hard to do in Building Maker.

Bryce S

Oct 29, 2010, 2:31:54 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks  Ado

We'll take a look at why the skp version won't generate.   If you just want to adjust the position of the building you could import the kmz file into SketchUp.  If you want to add detail its probably best to wait for the skp file so you can use the images for textures.

~Bryce

Bryce S

Oct 29, 2010, 2:50:24 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
We were able to get the skp 8 file to generate so it should be available for download now.  we're investigating what went wrong.

~B )

Ado

Oct 29, 2010, 2:59:55 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

If you are looking into file generation in general, I have some other Building Maker models that also can't be downloaded as SketchUp 8 files, but in those cases the error message tells me a clear reason why the files can't be generated. The waiting period before the error dialog pops up is also much shorter.

"File Generation Error
We cannot convert this Building Maker model to a SketchUp file. The resulting file would be too large. Please try to import the kmz version of this model into SketchUp."

Some of the models that give that result, along with their kmz file size for comparison:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=a6f37b270661d354b8d9c180b680652 (kmz is 226 kB, but has some complex geometry objects)

Chris Padilla(Gmail)

Oct 29, 2010, 3:40:28 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I have... just keep waiting... I think about an hour is what I had to wait.  10 minutes is not a long time... and according to the modeling way a long time is way longer than we think it should be.  Truthfully though this shouldn't take longer than one hour.

Chris

To participate in this discussion or adjust your membership options, visit http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum

Bryce S

Oct 29, 2010, 5:10:58 PM10/29/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The thing that makes the skp files large are the areal images which are converted to matched photo scenes.  A kmz file just contains the model geometry and textures applied to the faces so it will be much smaller.  If you hide the images you are not using in BM  (right click and choose hide) they should be left out of the resulting skp file (fewer scenes).

~B )

peterX

Oct 29, 2010, 8:11:42 PM10/29/10
to Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hello Ado,

Sometimes I have to click on "Download Model to Google SketchUp 8" 3
times on models recently saved before the .skp file actually
downloads. On the first time I get the dialog with the "Generating
SketchUp File..." message but nothing happens after the message
disappears. I usually have to click on the "Download" button two more
times to cause the download. I am running Chrome on Windows 7. On
older BM models with pre-SU 8 .skp files it seems to download
immediately.

Peter

peterX

Jul 3, 2012, 1:59:02 PM7/3/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This problem seems to be happening again. The SketchUp file fails to download or the downloaded file is out of date and does not reflect recent changes to the Building Maker model.

peterX

Jul 3, 2012, 2:37:51 PM7/3/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
... This does not affect a particular model but all models created or changed in the last 2 days.