Ir al primer mensaje no leído

SnowTiger

no leída,
14 oct 2009, 9:51:50 a.m.14/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
After having my most recent model be denied re: review process, I
thought I would take a look to see if anyone else modeled the same
structure in the past.
I am referring to the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge.
I wish I had done this in the first place as I would have discovered
that several other models of the same structure have been created ....
long before mine.

This is all the more reason why I hope Google resolves the issue re:
Network Link Icon ... once and for all.
Had there been an Icon available/visible in GE, I certainly would not
have wasted my time modeling something that others have already
modeled.
Furthermore, I would have been able to see that my model is no better
(or worse) than any of the others.
Yes.. I could have first done a search through the warehouse but isn't
that the reason we have (or rather ... HAD) the Network Link in the
first place ?
Besides, if choosing to model a building/structure that we don't
already know the name of, it would be difficult to do a search.

Google, PLEASE address this situation SOON.

3dBloke

no leída,
15 oct 2009, 6:02:04 a.m.15/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi SnowTiger. I'm intrigued about this Network Link thing. Being a
relative newcomer to GE 3D modeling, I think maybe Network Link was
not around when I started. How did it work? I'd guess at some kind
of marker in GE at the location of models submitted but not yet
approved for the 3D layer. This would certainly be good to have. It
would also be handy way to see the general level of GE 3D modeling
activity in an area.

Kent Karlsson

no leída,
15 oct 2009, 4:51:43 p.m.15/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
I second that. I'm new at this but also found after spending half a
day creating a model that it already existed. Not a big deal, I
learned plenty, but a little place holder in the editor or in the
viewer indicating that someone else was working at the same location
would be nice. Since I am new at this, could be I am missing a very
obvious feature... in that case, sorry. Awesome tool though, and with
some corrections I have a feeling I will add to the Google Earth
experience by modeling plenty more. Thanks Google!

SnowTiger

no leída,
17 oct 2009, 10:08:50 a.m.17/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
The 3DWH Network Link, is in fact an Icon (shaped like a little blue
house) that you see all over GE providing you have downloaded and
installed the GE 3D Warehouse Network Link (download from Google
SketchUp's main site I think >> I will post a link if you can't find
it but a search should easily find it).
However, due to ongoing changes and improvements to both SketchUp and
Google Earth, the Network Link Icon has not appeared for new models
since early this summer.
Google IS aware of this problem and will correct it in due time, but
they have many other things to deal with before they get to it (so I'm
told).

As 3dBloke mentioned, the link/icon does show where new models appear
on GE that have been uploaded to the 3DWH but have not yet been
approved and/or have failed the review process. Even when they fail
the review, the icon appears to illustrate that there is a model
available for that geographic location.

Anyway, without it, one has to be careful that there isn't already a
model available for any location, prior to modeling otherwise one
finds themselves modeling a duplicate (as I found as mentioned in my
earlier post). Just the same, knowing another model already exists
does not mean you cannot create and upload a newer version. And
providing your model is "better" than the existing model(s), yours may
be selected for the 3D Layer (this of course applies to all models
whether there is a link available now or not).
But it is much more rewarding IMO when we model new buildings that
have not previously been modeled by others.

Have a great weekend everyone and Happy Modeling.

Davenport GIS

no leída,
23 oct 2009, 4:07:16 p.m.23/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Snow Tiger,

I just found something (by accident) that I think you might like. If
you were interested in modeling a building (or bridge) in a specific
area then you can download the terrain and then go to Components then
hit the down arrow next to the google search bar. In that list, there
is the ability to search for nearby models. Had you done that, then
(assuming it finds all models in that area) you should be able to find
out if anything had been any models made in that area. If so, you can
move on and do something else. It may not work as well as a network
link, but it should be relatively fast.

SnowTiger

no leída,
25 oct 2009, 9:24:06 a.m.25/10/09
para Map Your World - 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi Davenport GIS

Excellent Point which of course I did not consider prior to your
comment.
I forgot that this function is now available to us because I haven't
previously had need for it, but as you suggested, this is a great way
to determine what if any models might be available for any neighboring
location prior to modeling anything.

Thanks again for the Great Tip.
Responder a todos
Responder al autor