Sketchup on Retina Displays

jjasper123

Jul 31, 2012, 11:52:15 PM7/31/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm just curious as to when, if it's even on the agenda for the Sketchup team Sketchup will be optimized for the Retina displays now shipping on some of the new Macbook Pros, and likely on various models to come out in the near future?

I bought myself one of these new Retina models today, and Sketchup was understandably one of the first programs I installed. Now, it doesn't necessarily look *bad* on this screen, but it does look quite blocky in some places, and having Sketchup be able to run at this sort of resolution would look absolutely stunning.

Thanks for any info or discussion, and have a nice night! :)

- JJ

matthiasbasler

Aug 1, 2012, 12:45:23 PM8/1/12
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi JJ,

sorry if I enter your thread like this, but it fits very well to the
question I had during the last weeks. IT magazines printed articles
about these new Retina displays and explained the technical
details ... and the more I read the more I wondered:
Apple is selling mega-high-resolution displays which basically by
default downscale the application UI by factor two to 1440 x 900
(which is not even Full HD) in order to remain readable and require
applications to be optimized in order to look well on this display.
(However this must be done. I have no clue.) Since many applications
are not optimized they look worse than on a normal 1440 x 900 pixel
display. Screenshots were shown that made me think: Why would anybody
want this?
They claim it is sharper? But hey, my normal notebook screen looks
sharp too on the correct resolution. Couldn't be better I believe.

And they sell this as a great new feature? Am I missing something?

I haven't had a look on a Retina display, but you have. Is the
experience on such display really worth the trouble of having
application developers "optimize" their software for just *one* new
display type of *one* manufacturer? As if they have nothing better to
do...
To me this whole Retina display concept sounds like a stupid idea, but
simply because I don't see any significant benefits. Maybe you can
enlighten me?

Matthias Basler

jjasper123

Aug 1, 2012, 1:03:03 PM8/1/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Well, the screen itself looks absolutely unreal. I can completely satisfied with my old laptop's display until I played with this one a while. Now I can't go back.

Just imagine looking out a window, and imagine the depth and detail and fine lines that you can't see on a screen. It's probably impossible to just picture it in your head, but believe me that if you were to see it in person, there is a moment where you just go "ohh... wow."

But enough Apple-swooning on a Google forum - that's not why I'm here. The point is that it just looks *incredibly* better.

And to make one more quick point, I absolutely see where you're coming from when you say that this is just one laptop from one company. However, that exclusivity is very temporary. It doesn't really take a tech pundit to tell you that this is going to usher in higher-density screens on various other laptops from numerous other companies. The point isn't to meet the standards of *one* display (although it may seem like it today), but to optimize the program for a future where a good amount of people will be able to have a significantly better experience. :)

matthiasbasler

Aug 1, 2012, 4:26:46 PM8/1/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi JJ,

thanks for sharing your experience with me. Helps a lot for understanding.
Well, to your latest point:
> this is going to usher in higher-density screens on various other laptops from numerous other companies
There have been good notebook screens around for years, but if I see what poor displays are built into the 90% mainstream notebooks - screens that do not even closely cover the RGB color space and rapidly change brightness if looked from different vertical angles - then I have not much hope in this respect. I fear that since 90% of users don't care, and thus the industry has no stimulation to change anything.

Now lets turn back to the original question whether Trimble will chime in and optimize SketchUp for the use on Retina displays.

Matthias Basler

jjasper123

Aug 1, 2012, 8:23:28 PM8/1/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Pixel density and screen quality (viewing angles, color gamma, contrast, etc) are two very different things, but I agree with you entirely - low quality screens will always exist, but low density screens I can see becoming completely unwanted to the vast majority of consumers, because it's a heck of a lot more noticeable than color-correctiveness, etc.

But yes, back to the original point... ;)

matthiasbasler

Aug 4, 2012, 4:14:45 AM8/4/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi JJ,

since nobody from Google or Trimble answered to your question about Retina display support so far I wonder if you should check for a dedicated SketchUp forum by Trimble, since they are developing the software now. Or maybe you re-post your question in the Google SketchUp forum if you haven't already done so
  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/sketchup/sketchup

Matthias Basler

jjasper123

Aug 5, 2012, 8:20:10 PM8/5/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the link to the Sketchup Group. I don't know why I didn't look there earlier.

There are a handful of other MBP-Retina users that are experiencing problems and whatnot. Luckily for me, I have not run into any of the issues or bugs that others are reporting, and for that I am thankful. In terms of my original question (being the resolution that Sketchup can handle), there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to go off of according to those forums, and I'm honestly totally fine with that - Sketchup, even pixel-doubled, is still completely usable, and like I said, I haven't hit any bugs and whatnot. :)

Thanks again for all the discussion and direction, Matthias. Have a great day! :D

Osni brandt mariano

Aug 11, 2012, 2:48:13 PM8/11/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Alguém  sabe com quem eu entro em contato para me disponibilizar a trabalhar com sreet view aqui na minha região, e só mandar o equipamento que eu estalo no meu carro.

2012/8/5 jjasper123 <jjasp...@gmail.com>

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

jjasper123

Aug 11, 2012, 3:35:03 PM8/11/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Pardon my lack of speaking Spanish, but I'll try my best.

Unfortunately, there is no way to place a request for Google to come and drive through a specific area. They likely have schedules and processes to how they go about driving through new areas. The only exception to this is if you are a property owner of a place like a theme park or college campus. In that case, you may go here to request that they check out your property: http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/partners/

One last thing. To keep this forum or group organized, we ask that you don't post in a thread that has nothing to do with your question. Please search for your question or start a new topic next time. It just keeps things better organized. :)

I hope that could be of some help. Again, forgive my inability to speak in your language, but hopefully Google Translate could help you as it helped me.