We really need to know if and when.

Barbora Krejčová

Feb 4, 2014, 11:38:20 AM2/4/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Dear Craig and team,
I know that there is an update, that you will slate the push in February. But as we are waiting for so long, we are getting nervous.
We have to know if we can be completely sure, that there is the pust in February.
We also need to know if rather beggining or the end.

I know that we are small comapre to Google. And you can give us info or not and also arrange the push or not - as you are Google a big company.
But it would be very special, if you dont treat us like unimportant individuals and start to act like people to people.
For example for us - if we do not get this information and if there is no other push, it will cost us 20000USD. And for us this means a complete personal bankrupt.

Although I find myself a bit crazy when I ask like this - but please give us more specific information and really manage the push asap according to your promises.
Its not only about virtual world, it is about big modelers work and also about project which are connected to this thing.

I also ask all other modelers, who are not cynic still, to support this message and join this very serious and polite request.
Thank you
Barbora

Google Craig

Feb 4, 2014, 12:09:11 PM2/4/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbora, there is no way to be completely sure, and I can not make that promise, but we've made some changes and are definitely trying to get the push done as soon as possible. I can't go into the details of the issues, but they were serious and have taken a long time, and multiple people's efforts to try and square away.

We are still planning for February, and I will post an update if anything changes.

Cheers,

    - Craig

Barbora Krejčová

Feb 4, 2014, 12:52:57 PM2/4/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, we all just hope and wait. Thank you for prompt reactions.

SnowTiger

Feb 4, 2014, 11:26:52 PM2/4/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I've given up holding my breath a long time ago.
Since we don't know what Google is doing and that information isn't being shared (as a matter of policy .. which I understand), it's easy to imagine that many of the models that were uploaded just prior to the final upload date, will never be posted to GE.

I get the feeling that Google is currently pushing to Auto-Generate as much as possible right now so they don't have to publish as many models (i.e. in areas that are already slated for auto-generated crap ... I mean models).
While I'm not too concerned that this is going to be a reality in smaller/rural areas, I am concerned that places like Calgary will be done sooner rather than later .... meaning most of my last uploaded models may never see the light of day.
The only thing that makes me confident that my Calgary models will get posted, is the fact that Google rarely gets around to Canada ... with exception of a few main/popular cities such as Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal ... at best. The rest they can't even find !!

The way I see it is .. if it's going to happen, it will happen. But who knows when.
Obviously it won't be any time soon but since we have already waited this long, what's another 6 or 8 months !! ???
I'm beyond caring any more and haven't even bothered looking at Google Earth more than once since October.

Google Craig

Feb 5, 2014, 6:32:04 PM2/5/14
Hi Chris, I absolutely get it. Had we any idea about the problems we were going to uncover doing the final push (which, btw, is a completely different animal than the normal layer update pushes), we may have been able to set expectations better.

Regarding: "I get the feeling that Google is currently pushing to Auto-Generate as much as possible right now so they don't have to publish as many models (i.e. in areas that are already slated for auto-generated crap ... I mean models)."

I get that you're frustrated, but this is completely false and untrue. The 3D user created buildings have absolutely no bearing on the 3D Imagery. None whatsoever. We're developing the 3D Imagery as its own entity, and as I've said a number of times, the technical issues that we uncovered when we attempted to do the final/complete user generated push, were and are very serious.

I think that the general modeling population really hasn't come to grasp just how difficult, expensive, and time-consuming it is to publish an entire planet's worth of individual user-created models, and what's happening with the final push is evidence of the difficulty. It's an immense technical challenge and even larger task.

Now Chris, we've had a good relationship over the years and I've always respected you, but taking any/all opportunities to take a jab at me/Google, knowing that it's my responsibility to manage a response, makes my life harder and can spoil this relationship. I'd rather finish on a high note. :)

That being said, I'll keep everyone up to date with any changes.

Cheers,

     - Craig

Standa Janak

Feb 5, 2014, 6:25:13 PM2/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how many people / companies made business out of Google Earth modelling - and now are possibly in trouble of losing business or worse, failing to fulfill their commitments. I would have fancied earning some money that way too, but never really got there. No matter how frustrated we are, it is clear that this 'playground' was never ours and it is up to the owner to do with it whatever they like. I also lost interest in 3D building modelling, because I know my models would no longer be 'alive'. I don't like Google's decision but I appreciate Craig's endurance and solidarity with all these frustrated users. Still I think we are not being told the whole story (not that I would expect that from ANY corporation) and I wonder how this is gonna end.

Regards

T Breeschoten

Feb 6, 2014, 2:49:30 AM2/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
 It's a pain to read this is killing GE based companies, This could have happened to me,.

I hope alternative 3d GPS based (open) maps sollutions arise soon,. Companies like Euklidion(http://www.euclideon.com/) show to have the technology to become the new supplier of the community sharing geo(and much more) information I believe.

Does anyone know similar GEO AR alternatives?

Greetings,
Taco

Op woensdag 5 februari 2014 18:11:41 UTC+1 schreef Google Craig:
[...]

Pavel Vanicek

Feb 6, 2014, 7:21:48 AM2/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Barbara, I already had return money from my last two contracts, because my clients didn't want wait longer. That was really painful and embarrassing and unfortunately totally devastating for my business. After all I got an invitation to 3d Basecamp in Boulder, but I have to say: No Thanks! No more friendship with Google.

PS: Good luck with new 3d imagery - it is really breathtaking solution!

Barbora Krejčová

Feb 7, 2014, 3:49:10 AM2/7/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
I brough up this topic, because I just wanted to keep us all active and send Craig and the team the message that we all are still waiting, hoping and checking the update (at least I am every day). I dont find it supportive and I find rather pointless to use this topic to throw mug to Google. If you already gave up and you are full of bitterness I understand - it has been along time, but you dont really help by your offense. As I wrote firstly - this is not for cynics, this is a polite and serious request. You might find me naive - I am active, because I believe there is going to be the push. Those who dont believe any more, please dont undermine me, Craig, the GE team and Google.
Thanks
Barbora

Barbora Krejčová

Feb 12, 2014, 6:04:36 AM2/12/14