Sacred Geometry program recommendations

Dave4

Oct 14, 2010, 1:09:13 PM10/14/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm new to this 3D modeling and I need advice.  I like playing with sacred geometry and it seems that one of these programs should be available that deals primarily with the platonic solids, spheres, triangles, pentagons, dodecahedrons etc. I want to be able to model in 3D, scale, rotate, shade etc. The program should be fairly easy for a beginner, cheap or free.  Anyone have any recommendations???  It seems to me that most of the programs deal with linear things like buildings can I also use them for my purposes?  Thanks  Dave

SnowTiger

Oct 14, 2010, 2:26:10 PM10/14/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave4

The truth is, there is No Easier nor More Functional Program ... especially for FREE than Google SketchUp.
It is extremely versatile. You can model practically anything you can possibly think of. And at a 1:1 Scale (or whatever you want but that is the default).

SketchUp only has a few tools but they are very powerful.

Here are a bunch of Video Tutorials that will show you just how easy SketchUp (SU) is to learn to use.
But start by downloading and installing SU Free, then you can follow along with the easy paced videos (pause, practice, play etc).
Start with the "New to Google SketchUp" series of videos.

Furthermore, if you search the Google 3D Warehouse, you will find many Geometric Shapes, both simple and complex (such as those you described).
People model airplanes, cars, flowers, trees, buildings, people .. you name it. If you can think it.. you can model it with SU.

Believe me ... there is no simpler program to learn short of MS Paint. But there are few programs that can model such complex things, especially for Free.

Watch the videos and give it a try.
I am confident that you will not be disappointed.

Then when you find out just how much you like it, you might even consider purchasing a license which adds a bit more functionality that you might find useful in SketchUp Pro.

Best Wishes and Happy Modeling

Nico

Oct 14, 2010, 3:15:51 PM10/14/10
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave4

I don't agree with SnowTiger, there's a simpler program, but it can"t make 3D things and it's called notepad.
To be honest, I tried a lot of 3D software from 3DS4 to 3DS Max, Autocad, Lightwave, POV, Wings, Blender, K3D and else, and none of these were simpler than Sketchup. TO tell you how much I love SU, I installed a Windows OS on my PC to use it !
You really have to try it...and ask Google to make it available on Linux, please :)

Shears,
Nicolas.

2010/10/14 SnowTiger <insp...@hometech.on.ca>

To participate in this discussion or adjust your membership options, visit http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum

Andrew Sanchez

Mar 5, 2014, 10:53:04 AM3/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I'm interested in what kind of resources you have found since you first posted this.  I am playing around with google sketchup right now and trying to learn.

Andrew

SnowTiger

Mar 5, 2014, 8:53:49 PM3/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew and Dave

The best advice anyone can give to those who are new to SU, is to watch and follow "ALL" of the Beginner Video Tutorials.   You can watch, pause, practice and continue to watch each of them and have a really good understanding of SU's Conventions within only a few hours.
Understanding how SU works is paramount. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you will be able to produce whatever you want.
Please check out all of the Beginner Video Tutorials and when you are comfortable with SU, then you should also check out the more advanced video tutorials etc.

Happy Modeling

SnowTiger

Mar 5, 2014, 8:56:30 PM3/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
PS>   NiMa .... MS Paint is pretty simple to learn too ... albeit a bit more complex and functional than NotePad.   LOL

I guess I should have said "SU is the easiest 3D Modeling software to learn to use" !    But I didn't.

Randy

Mar 6, 2014, 5:21:10 PM3/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Given that this is a forum dedicated to Google 3D Modeling and Sketchup, you might not get a variety of recommended alternatives in this particular forum. That being said, the first thing you should learn is that Sketchup is no longer a Google product. Trimble took ownership of Sketchup sometime in 2013 (I think). It seems to me like it was only last year.

However, until you learn the full capabilities of Sketchup, and until it has failed you, I see no need to continue looking -- at least for now.

Randy