Can the resolution be increased in embedded Sketchup models on the internet?

xiombarg

Jul 30, 2009, 4:50:52 PM7/30/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
Just wondering if there is anyway to increase the resolution of an
embedded model so that when you zoom it doesn't just pixelate.
Ideally I would like to actually increase the embedded size (not the
resolution) of the model as it appears on a site, but I don't see
anything obvious in the code that points to either of these options.
Am I just not seeing it, or is there a workaround?

Google Guide Mark

Jul 30, 2009, 5:02:02 PM7/30/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
You can change the size of the embedded view by changing
a couple of parameters on the URL. See this article for details:

http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37943

The resolution of the images cannot be changed, however.

Hope that helps.
mark

olaf

Jul 30, 2009, 6:28:53 PM7/30/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
You can try to make the "swivel" function with images of your own
choice (higher resolution, number of images, perspective...). You
would only need to place the files on your own webspace. The swivel
function from 3d-warehouse can easily be adopted for more special
needs without changing the javascript, you only need to insert your
images in a folder and the filenames in a file, there's a description
how to do it: http://sketchup.googlegroups.com/web/swivel.zip

For more ideas, you can read this forum topic:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19740
There is also a good plugin that also allows to rotate the 'model' in
more than one direction:
http://finnrudolph.de/JavaScriptObject

LOGAN

Jul 31, 2009, 3:34:55 AM7/31/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
The source on that page has a small error. In 'Embedding a model with
Google Earth plug-in' this line:
url += google.earth.isInstalled() ? '&etyp=ge' : '&etyp=sw';`

The character ` after the ; is accidentally added.

LOGAN

Jul 31, 2009, 3:41:22 AM7/31/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth

PS: I tried changing the size before and found out that the height
didn't show correct. I have to say I don't have a key so maybe that
was the problem...

SnowTiger

Jul 31, 2009, 9:05:36 AM7/31/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
Hello xiombarg

Regarding the Swivel Code for models on your website etc, there is (as
has been mentioned) a great way to increase both the size of the
swivel window and the resolution of the images used.
The following link has a video tutorial that shows you how to "Hack"
the output of the Google SketchUp Web Exporter files.
It is easy to follow. Once you have done it once, you don't even need
the exporter any more as you can copy the code and use on another
model .. only having to change the images and referring image script
lines.
http://blog.concept3d.com/?p=123

Here is a great way to set up the views for each of the images you are
after.
I have created a template with a component that I use to obtain my
images (using the instructions for exporting the images as shown in
the Hacking Output video).
I simply put the component on a hidden layer and have created 12
Scenes, each of which has its own viewing angle. It is these angled
shots that become the exported image files that you use in place of
the Web Exporter's image files.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNFNGfPfPw
The guy in this video is a bit of a dweeb, but his methods are sound.

Once the component is made, it can easily be scaled to suite any
model.

The only thing I have found about following the Hacked Output method,
is that when complete, the model rotates in the opposite direction
than it should. I have no idea why it does this, but it is a moot
issue IMO.

SnowTiger

Jul 31, 2009, 9:10:19 AM7/31/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
BTW - Scroll 2/3rds the way down on this page (link) to see an example
of the results of following the methods illustrated in the 2 video
links provided in my previous post.

http://www.johnstonspharmacy.com/

PS> This is neither my business nor my website, but it is my model and
I did create the output files/images and edited the script to make it
work.
The business exists in my town and Ontario Rural Routes is a local/
regional business/service. The owner of Ontario Rural Routes is also a
Google Earth Modeler.

xiombarg

Jul 31, 2009, 2:36:27 PM7/31/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
Awesome. You guys rock. Thanks.

y q

Aug 2, 2009, 11:05:40 PM8/2/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
guys. i need help. i couldn't find any toipic on sketchup web
exporter . I have no idea how the upload html thing works and iframe
or what .. which is shown in this video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Tmlko5YTU

my project model needs to be online within this two week to fully
complete .. im a total retard in this and i m desperate in needing
help. can anyone guide me on how upload my model online . thanks .

Colin Holgate

Aug 2, 2009, 11:20:53 PM8/2/09
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Watch all of this video, but especially the bit around 7:30:

http://www.youtube.com/v/CSElJN-D7j4

There's an HD button in the lower right, click on that to get a much
better quality version of the video.

SnowTiger

Aug 9, 2009, 9:04:42 AM8/9/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse and Modeling for Google Earth
Hello y q

If you are in dire need of assistance, I can either walk you through
it or I can assist more directly .... i.e. create the code for you.
But unless I have a copy of your model(s), you will have to create the
imagery.
However, I am only willing to do so much because I generally get paid
for this service.
But I certainly don't mind helping once.

Furthermore, once you have the code for one model, you can simply copy/
paste it into other web pages and only have to change the lines of
code dealing with the Image Names and change/upload different images.

So if you still haven't figured out what to do, send me an email.
I might even consider providing my phone number if needed to walk you
through it, but the call has to be on your dime.