Do not use uppercase file extensions (.JPG) for textures with SketchUp 6.4.112 !

matthiasbasler

Feb 15, 2009, 5:45:33 AM2/15/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
Since obviously almost every newby falls into the pitfall, here again:

If you export or upload your model with SketchUp version 6.4.112 (See
under Help -> About) then ensure that all the textures in your model
have lowercase file extensions. Otherwise the exporter to .KMZ will
mix up the textures. The result is that you have, lets say, a roof
texture on a wall or vice versa.

This is a known bug in this SketchUp version.

How can you find out for sure if your model is affected?
1. Export your file to .KMZ, rename the file to .zip, open the zip
archive and look into the "images" folder. If you find some
textureXXX.JPG, continue with step 2.
2. Check your material palette, see the details page of every texture
and check the file extension

What to do if your model is affected?
3. Rename the texture from .JPG to .jpg on your HDD
4. Open the details page of each affected texture and edit the file
name, replace .JPG (or .PNG) by the corresponding lowercase extension.
This will reload the texture from your HDD. Usually you do not need to
alignment the texture again, so this is fairly quick.
5. Return to step 1 and check your model.

P.S. Can any of the moderators please make this sticky?!

Philsey

Feb 18, 2009, 5:35:39 PM2/18/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
I consider myself to be moderately computer knowledgeable, but I'm
going to have to admit ignorance on this one. I exported a model
in .kmz format to my desktop and re-named it to .zip. What program do
I use to open the .zip archive? I thought double clicking the re-
named program would open an unzipping program or some such, but it
didn't.

I thought I took all the appropriate steps in renaming .JPG to .jpg on
my hard drive and in my model texture pallete, but when I place the
model in GE, I still get the scrambled textures. I'd like to get this
fixed before I share model again. Thanks!!

On Feb 15, 5:45 am, matthiasbasler <matthiasbas...@earthflight.org>

VAM

Feb 18, 2009, 7:11:43 PM2/18/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
Hi Philsey,

it can be neccessary from time to time to look inside your .kmz. But
you will need an archive-program for that - like WinRAR for example.

But that doesn't solve your problem. You have to open your model.skp
in SketchUp, select the paintbucket - the materials browser will open
- and select the particular material, switch to edit-register and
browse texture image. Now insert the earlier renamed file.jpg from
your harddrive to the box below the line ,,use texture image''. Repeat
this procedure for every material I named to you the other day. Save
file and upload (the .skp) again to 3d warehouse.

Good practice is to ,,Place Model'' first. That will show you
immediatly if you healed all materials.

Good luck

Wolfgang
> > P.S. Can any of the moderators please make this sticky?!- Hide quoted text -

Philsey

Feb 20, 2009, 1:45:55 PM2/20/09
to Google SketchUp Help - 3D Warehouse General
OK, I think I'm good now. Except that the model file size is a little
bigger than it could be, but I didn't feel like dropping the
resolution a bit more on all my photos. I'll wait until I get the
siding clean and the shutters painted....who knows when that will be.
Then I'll re-do the model.