Lulzbot Taz for sale

Tiago Santos

Dec 21, 2015, 3:33:41 PM12/21/15
to 3D604
Hey Folks,

This started life as a Lulzbot Taz 3 or 3.5, can't remember anymore! I bought it used and it came absolutely stock to me. The plastic linear bushings were worn (or just loose from the factory depending on who you ask..). It had the silly 6mm threaded rods for the z axis they used to come with. I wasn't all that happy with how it printed.

Right after buying it, I replaced the threaded rods with ballscrews. I used the files for the Taz4 (that had acme screws) and modified them to hold the ballnuts. Machined the X end plates out of aluminum, etc. At the same time, I replaced all the rods with hardened steel (the taz comes, or came with, soft stainless rods) and all the plastic bushings with linear bearings.

The bed has a PEI sheet installed which works great. The stock extruder and hot end (for 3mm filament) are installed, but I have a brand new E3D v6 wired up and ready to mount. I was waiting to go through all my 3mm filament but I just don't use it enough, at this rate it'll be at least another year before I go through it all (note that there isn't THAT much filament left, I just don't have much stuff to print hehe).

I'll throw in whatever filament I have, both 1.75 and 3mm, a few different materials to play with, but I honestly can't remember exactly what right now.

The new Taz 5 is selling for $2200 USD, which assuming free shipping, is a little over $3400CAD after taxes. Seems crazy to me, but it is what it is :) I'd like to thing my little ballscrews are a nice upgrade over the acme rods, everything else seems about equal. I have no idea what I'd actually be willing to pay for this if I was looking for a printer right now (not $3400, that's for sure), so how about $1400 obo?

Cheers,
Tiago