M5 threaded rod

John Harvey

Feb 24, 2016, 1:07:25 AM2/24/16
to 3D604
This is Canada.  We use the metric system.  Yet, when I look on the websites for hardware stores, I can only find imperial threaded rod.

Is this a thing where I need to get off my computer and go to the places, and it'll be there, or does it just not exist unless you want to buy it online?

Does anyone know somewhere I can buy a reasonable amount (a few meters) without having to wait for it to ship?

Nick Wimpney

Feb 24, 2016, 1:17:29 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

No,  it's not something most hardware places will stock.   As much as I  dislike it,  It's generally easier to just use imperial for things that you might want to buy locally. You can usually get basic m3 screws and stuff fairly cheap from electronics places, but I don't know where you could get threaded rods,  except maybe  fastenal or something.

Miststlkr

Feb 24, 2016, 1:28:42 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
fairly certain I bought mine from Fastenal, if that helps.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Nick Wimpney <nick.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

No,  it's not something most hardware places will stock.   As much as I  dislike it,  It's generally easier to just use imperial for things that you might want to buy locally. You can usually get basic m3 screws and stuff fairly cheap from electronics places, but I don't know where you could get threaded rods,  except maybe  fastenal or something.

John Harvey

Feb 24, 2016, 1:32:11 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Fastenal, ho!  They will be getting a substantial amount of my business if they stock metric parts.

John Harvey
Secretary, UBC Rapid

j timmins

Feb 24, 2016, 1:32:43 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

https://www.lowes.ca/building-materials/electrical/threaded-rod/

?

John Harvey

Feb 24, 2016, 1:38:12 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
10-32 != M5.  It's close, but they aren't totally interchangeable.  (AFAIK.)

John Harvey
Secretary, UBC Rapid

Miststlkr

Feb 24, 2016, 1:39:51 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Ashley Webster

Feb 24, 2016, 1:42:00 AM2/24/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Any good fastener shop should sell metric. Pacific Fasteners, HD Supply, Lowe's, Fastenal.

Steve Roy

Feb 29, 2016, 8:17:08 PM2/29/16
to 3D604

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:07:25 PM UTC-8, John Harvey wrote:

Does anyone know somewhere I can buy a reasonable amount (a few meters) without having to wait for it to ship?

I have bought 1m lengths from Canadian Stainless Fasteners in Coquitlam - but they don't always have it in stock