Replicator Dual - Thermocouple/Thermis

Lisa M

Apr 23, 2015, 5:16:18 PM4/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
After being told by Makerbot that they no longer provide parts for a 2.5 year old product, I have been left to find a third party vendor.

I found this:

I believe it has everything I need except the thermistor might not work.  Can anyone confirm for me?

I'm using the board that the machine came with along with the latest firmware.

Will the thermistor here work in place of the original thermocouple? ...or are they so different that this will not work.

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa M

Apr 23, 2015, 6:59:30 PM4/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Got my answer.  Greg from Makerbot.ca confirmed this part will not work.

Dan Steele

Apr 24, 2015, 11:46:17 AM4/24/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Yup they work differently...But you should be able to get a thermocouple still that will work and just swap it with the thermister...

dan.

Nick Wimpney

Apr 24, 2015, 2:55:49 PM4/24/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
If you're willing to go the DIY route:
Thermocouples are more standardized than thermistors too.  I'm guessing it'll be "k type" and you can use any K type that you can connect to whatever connector the makerbot uses, and will attach to the block appropriately.  I picked up a few at delayextreme here:
http://www.dx.com/p/k0387-k-type-thermocouple-probe-temperature-measuring-cable-white-yellow-2-77m-352884#.VTqN6OTWSEg
I don't know if those would work, connector-wise, but I expect they will probably function correctly if you can get them connected.  Keep in mind that solder won't stick to thermocouple wires, so you'll need either crimp or screw terminals if you need to change connectors.

Maybe someone who knows about makerbots can confirm if it's k type, and fill in the details as far as connectors go. :P

-Nick

Lisa M

Apr 24, 2015, 3:29:45 PM4/24/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all!

I've done the DIY route and it hasn't turned out to well in terms of time, money, and frustration.

I've decided to ship it off to the fine folks at Makerbot.ca.

Making due with parts that weren't designed for the printer is an exercise in frustration for me.  I'm not a builder.

Lisa