Intro and a question.

Ehud Yaniv

Apr 12, 2014, 2:38:34 AM4/12/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Following the typical tradition, I thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Ehud and I am a school teacher working in special education.

I have played around with a lot of stuff but would not call myself a "Maker" as I have never developed any real skill and tend to flit from project to project.  I am learning to weave and do Japanese Braiding (Kumihimo) which is what was used to assemble armor.

I currently have a Micro 3D from Kickstarter on order but am also thinking of building a printer myself in the meantime.  I am torn between a RepRap Prusa i3 and a Printrbot Simple (wood).  I can solder but my skills are ancient (30 years old) and my current understanding of electronics is primitive.

Any suggestions as to which would be a best first build is appreciated.  I can follow instructions and did build a kayak (95 % before I lost my wood shop).

I will be at Maker Fair and will spend some time at the 3d Village.  As well, I will be attending a 3D printing workshop as part of my professional development on May 2nd at SFU.

Anyway, "hi."

Ehud

Graeme Bennett

Apr 14, 2014, 4:26:47 AM4/14/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The Printrbot Simple (wood) has a bit of an issue with the stability of the Z axis; this is one of the first things most users set out to upgrade. (And the new Metal version of the Printrbot Simple specifically addresses the  issue with a redesign of the Z-axis rods -- increasing them from 8mm to 12mm.) The Prusa I3 will probably cost you a bit more, but in my view, it holds the advantage. With that said, either one is a pretty good choice for a first build.

Don S

Jun 12, 2014, 9:14:45 PM6/12/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ehud,
I would like to talk with regarding your SFU 3d print course experience.
Drop me a line directly at your convenience (strike, walking the picket etc.... ). noddynomolos///@///gmail//// .com (no back slash)
Don S