Entry-level Printer for a friend?

Miststlkr

Apr 16, 2014, 6:16:18 PM4/16/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I have a friend down in Washington whose son is looking into a printer and they are thinking of buying him his first one as a birthday gift.  Since they want to keep it on the low end as a first printer and see how things go before going all out, I suggested a Printrbot Simple.  What else is in that entry-level small bed sub-$500 niche these days?

John Biehler

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51:54 PM4/16/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Lots of kickstarters in that range but nothing I'm aware of that's shipping now and as good as the Printrbot.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Miststlkr <mist...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a friend down in Washington whose son is looking into a printer and they are thinking of buying him his first one as a birthday gift.  Since they want to keep it on the low end as a first printer and see how things go before going all out, I suggested a Printrbot Simple.  What else is in that entry-level small bed sub-$500 niche these days?

Miststlkr

Apr 17, 2014, 12:30:19 PM4/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Looking into the Micro3D on kickstarter myself right now... very tempting.

John Biehler

Apr 17, 2014, 12:52:35 PM4/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm always skeptical of kickstarters that won't ship for a year. And they have yet to ship in time.

Miststlkr

Apr 17, 2014, 12:56:28 PM4/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I've just been unlucky, but very few of the kickstarters I've backed managed to get out the door as predicted.   I assume that is part and parcel with backing someone who is new to the industry.    For the most part, I think that if they had the experience, they likely would have been able to get finding through traditional means.   This one is particularly long term though and it is putting me off.

I backed these guys back last June, they predicted a December ship and we're still waiting.   And those guys are experienced in their field... That;s the down side to kickstarter in general, I think.

Lance Burrows

Apr 17, 2014, 3:29:37 PM4/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

The Solidoodle 2 base model is currently on sale for $399 as well as some of their more expensive products and they have been in business for a year or two now.  The company is a bit disorganized in terms of support but there is a great user community at soliforum.com.  You might want to do some reading there first if you are considering purchasing a Solidoodle.