Has anyone replaced X axis cable on a Makerbot R2?

Graeme Bennett

Jul 2, 2015, 5:15:41 PM7/2/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
My Replicator 2's X axis has developed an electrical problem that is causing it to "go thunk and skip." Has anyone here ever replaced this cable assembly and if so, did you install the optional jumper (recommended by Steven at Thor3D, who has been very helpful) that will allegedly improve the long-term reliability of this barely 7-month-old machine?)

If you know how to replace this part and would be willing to let me watch you replace mine, I will pay for the parts and your labour. I will make it worth your while.

John Biehler

Jul 2, 2015, 6:46:55 PM7/2/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I replaced mine last year *during* MakerFaire as Greg from Thor3D brought me a replacement because of the skipping and 'thunking'. There is a YouTube video by MakerBot Support on how to do it along with lots of other people's versions. It's actually quite easy to do.

If the videos can't help, and I'm in town, I'd be happy to help you.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Graeme Bennett <graemea...@gmail.com> wrote:
My Replicator 2's X axis has developed an electrical problem that is causing it to "go thunk and skip." Has anyone here ever replaced this cable assembly and if so, did you install the optional jumper (recommended by Steven at Thor3D, who has been very helpful) that will allegedly improve the long-term reliability of this barely 7-month-old machine?)

If you know how to replace this part and would be willing to let me watch you replace mine, I will pay for the parts and your labour. I will make it worth your while.

Graeme Bennett

Jul 3, 2015, 4:59:32 AM7/3/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you John!  Did you order the three-part cable and also install the optional jumper they sell, and if so, would you recommend that?

John Biehler

Jul 3, 2015, 12:30:54 PM7/3/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I honestly can't remember if I did since Greg just handed me what I needed. It's basically a high flex version of the stock cable that can withstand the back & forth bending motions on the x axis.

If they recommend it, I'd go for it.

Graeme Bennett

Jul 10, 2015, 4:33:28 AM7/10/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I've learned that newer Makerbots already have a 12" jumper cable installed that obviates the need to replace the more expensive 3-part cable. I just need to take off the side of the R2 apparently to find out if I have the jumper version or not. Boy, the Ditto Pro is looking pretty good to me right now.

John Biehler

Jul 10, 2015, 9:00:16 AM7/10/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised (not really) that they didn't replace the 'hard drive cable' with the better one ages ago...drove me nuts trying to figure out what the issue was since it was so inconsistent.

At least it should be easy to tell which you have once a you take off the side.