"SD card read error" and how to deal with it

KP Chiang

Sep 21, 2015, 7:32:00 PM9/21/15
to 3D604
Hi, everyone,

So I got up this morning and expect to see the print that started last night finished.   Instead, I see the printer stuck at about 80% finish and print head glued to the print from turning cold.
The LCD screen message says "SD card read error".   I have encountered this problem before, my strategy was to leave the bad file in place without deleting it(to avoid re-using the same memory sector), upload a new one and print from that.
So I started a new print from a new file and headed outside.   Hours later the printer was printing, but at 93% completion I heard the regular printing whining noise suddenly turned into a constant hum.   Ran to the printer to check but somehow I knew it got stuck again and I was right.... "SD card read error"... wasted about 200g of PLA and 12 hours of printing time

So I would like to hear your experience with SD card troubles and how you deal with it.
Just what causes these "SD card read error"?   bad upload? dead sector in the card?   Is there a way to check a bad file by having the machine read back the data or perform some virtual dry print using just the SD card alone?
Will a SD card from a reputable manufacturer mitigate this?   The SD card came free with the 3D printer purchase so I suspect the cards are cheap ones =P

Thanks

John Biehler

Sep 21, 2015, 7:46:24 PM9/21/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Quality of the card definitely comes into play....get a non-cheap card and format it before use.

Alternatively, just format your current card and see if that fixes things...but I suspect the same issue will crop up again.

Rob Hall

Sep 21, 2015, 7:53:52 PM9/21/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I have heard that the sd slots on some boards can go bad not sure if they get dirty or wear out

But it would try a new card first then maybe try some contact cleaner or even just blow the slot out

KP Chiang

Oct 20, 2015, 10:10:51 PM10/20/15
to 3D604
Just thought I should write an update to this issue.

I checked the connectors and they looked normal with no damage or suspicious sign.

I replaced the cheap SD card that came with the 3D printer.   Bought two from Best Buy that are 4GB and 8GB, made by Sandisk.   They are older technology because I heard the Arduino board have trouble with SD card that is "Hi-Speed."   I cannot confirm if Hi-Speed card is more prone to issues but I avoided getting high capacity hi-speed SD cards just to be safe.

The new SD cards work fine and I have done many prints over the past few weeks without having the "SD card read error" issue.

thank you