Cartesian printer with stationary print bed

KP Chiang

Dec 9, 2015, 4:06:16 AM12/9/15
to 3D604
Hi,

I enjoyed the meeting last week at Tinkerine.   There was a very impressive small cartesian printer that Mr. Biehler brought.
IIRC it is called M3D printer.   I was impressed because it was the first cartesian printer I saw that doesn't move its print bed during print.

Is there any other cartesian printer design (or build kit) out there with similar feature?

KP

Loial Otter

Dec 9, 2015, 1:57:23 PM12/9/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
In truth the ones I was designing a couple years ago were that method. Tiny and TS300 both have a fixed bed with print head moving through X/Y/Z.

I haven't seen many systems that do that style due to the z-axis generally making the X/Y less rigid or more complex. I was following that design because I wanted to go into other technologies, some of which included things like liquid baths. Leveling a four-screw design is quite challenging but once it's leveled and everything's set you shouldn't need to do that again.

If the z-axis in a printer is good and solid, it doesn't matter as much about the bed being fixed or moving through Z. The Z-axis is the slowest and least moved axis.

Regards,
     Loial

Nick Wimpney

Dec 9, 2015, 4:40:39 PM12/9/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
You do gain the small advantage of being able to z-lift for moves, but other than that, an x/y head with a lowering z platform is probably as good for most things. and much simpler to build solidly.  Once you start stacking axis, you start finding more and more weird ways that things can twist, and move in unintended ways.