I broke my extruder.

NickW

Sep 25, 2016, 11:14:27 PM9/25/16
to 3D604
I have been having a bit of random slipping on my extruder lately, and just noticed that it had a big crack in it.  I tried to glue it, but when I reassembled it, it broke in half. :(

http://arx.ca/projects/printer/IMG_0261.JPG

It was just a prototype, but it was working well, and I never got around to doing a proper tweaked and strengthened version, so now I have nothing to print a fixed version with.

Does anyone out there want to do me a huge favour and print one for me?  It's untested, so the best would be someone who has an interest in trying it out for themselves too, and is willing to give it a couple tries if my ballpark guesses on the hole sizes are bad.  The PTFs I have are 1/8 NPT, so if you have different ones, the holes will need adjusting.

The project is here if anyone wants to take a look, and/or give it a try.  The password is 3d604

Let me know what you think.

-Nick

Edward Simpson

Sep 26, 2016, 12:55:17 PM9/26/16
to 3D604
Let me guess, it broke around the output coupling :) I'd be happy to print a replacement for you, would PLA work?

Nick Wimpney

Sep 26, 2016, 1:08:55 PM9/26/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
No, the corner broke from the force of the spring.  The picture's not quite in focus, but you can see a slightly darker patch just to the left of the bearing which is actually a crack.

PLA is fine.  I think the new design should be a lot stronger if it works.

Edward Simpson

Edward Simpson

Sep 26, 2016, 5:14:38 PM9/26/16
to 3D604
Hi Nick,
I've finished printing the new part:

It cost $5 worth of materials and time to produce, so you bring $5 and I'll bring it to Richmond Public Library's 3D Maker Meetup on Thursday at 7PM, so you can collect it then, otherwise you'll need to cover shipping to wherever you choose.
Edward Simpson

Nick Wimpney

Sep 26, 2016, 7:06:23 PM9/26/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Thanks.  Hopefully I got it right, or at least close enough that I can make it work to print the next attempt ;)

I'll try and make it out to the meetup if I can.

-Nick