2014 Maker Faire: June 7-8th

John Biehler

Jan 22, 2014, 5:00:12 PM1/22/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
In the next couple weeks submissions will start for projects/groups/booths at the 2014 edition of Makerfaire at the PNE Forum on June 7-8th.

I'd like to have a dialogue about this year's event. I heard a lot of VERY positive feedback that everyone loved the 'printer village' last year and I also heard that many of the independent folks would like to be able to sell their 3D printed wares.

I've been in discussion with the organizers and wanted to see what people would like to see this year.

The options include (but aren't limited to):

  1. non-commercial 'printer village' where, like our public demos, we have a series of tables that have our printers and objects on display (no items for sale)
  2. commercial printer village (just like option 1) except we can have items for sale
  3. hybrid printer village where half the village is printers/objects on display, with a dedicated table of for sale items (a mini 3d printed store, if you will)
  4. do your own thing (either non-commercial 'show & tell' table or a commercial booth) and not be under the 3D604 banner
There is a significant cost to have a 'proper' commercial booth versus the club price for a non-commercial booth (I don't have this year's costs yet) but last year I think it was under $10 a person to be a part of our booth versus $300+ for a commercial booth (which is technically one table so multiply that amount times the number of printers roughly for a commercial booth).

I'd like everyone interested in participating to sound off asap so that I can discuss further with the organizers as to our options.

Personally, I'm interested in participating in the village but am also interested in a dedicated project 'show and tell' booth that may not be directly related to 3D printing....like a bigger version of my eggbot demo from last year.

But now I want to hear from you!

Rob Hall

Jan 22, 2014, 5:38:08 PM1/22/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I am good in the non commercial space I haven't really been selling much wares

Dan Steele

Jan 22, 2014, 6:50:49 PM1/22/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for options 2 and or 3.  The benefit of 3 is that we can get together during pricing and make sure we're all on the same page.

I probably won't have a huge amount of items for sale but I wouldn't mind selling a few.

Dan.

Gerald Orban

Jan 27, 2014, 1:36:01 AM1/27/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I will be going to the maker faire again this year but probably as part of eatART. I will be bringing my RostockMAX and maybe even have it solar powered!! :)

Dan Steele

Jan 27, 2014, 6:55:01 PM1/27/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This is sort of a tangent to 3D printing, but if there is any interest I can bring marterials required to finish, smooth, and cast a print.  I can do silicon rubber molds, and  can produce cultured stone copies in a variety of colours.  I could also do resins and cold cast bronze.  The process is slow, time consuming and expensive but the results are impressive.

The process takes a bit of room though (at least half a table) and can be messy.  It's also not strictly speaking 3D printing, so I'll only bring it if there's a lot of interest.

Dan.

John Biehler

Jan 27, 2014, 8:34:24 PM1/27/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Please bring it Dan! I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing the process and results.

John

Colin

Jan 27, 2014, 10:06:27 PM1/27/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I am also very interested in this.  I just picked up a Alumilite casting kit last weekend. I would like to learn more about the Cold Cast Bronze.  Please bring out your stuff.

Colin

Eugene Suyu

Jan 28, 2014, 3:26:05 PM1/28/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I will most likely be popping in and out of the village this year as I did the last. Dan, I would love to see what you do for cold cast bronze. Sounds like a mad science experiment that could potentially go wrong but at the same time it sounds awesome.

John if we are looking for standup banners to be made, business cards and etc. let me know and I'll see what I can to get us better prices on those.

Warren

Jan 28, 2014, 7:39:07 PM1/28/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, count me in for the hybrid Idea!

John Biehler

Feb 6, 2014, 4:11:32 PM2/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
So I've heard back from the organizers.

We have a choice of going with the Startup Booth ($100+tax) which allows us to sell items or the Group booth ($30+tax) for just demos (no selling).

If we have 5 people kick in ~$20 we should be fine for the startup booth.

Reply with your preference if you're able to:
  • participate on June 7-8th ALL DAY, BOTH DAYS
  • setup your stuff on June 6th - load in times will be assigned closer to event but you'll likely be able to get in there until early evening at least - first in at the assigned time gets the better spot in the booth (I have no idea of the configuration yet but hoping for similar to 2013)
  • pay for your portion of the booth (booth type divided by the number of people but likely less than $30 in worst case scenario)
Keep in mind that this will be a 3D604 booth...so if you have more than 3d prints to sell (printers, related hardware, filament, etc.) you will be better off getting your own dedicated booth as this special arrangement is based on this booth just selling printed objects.

Please reply asap...I'll be submitting the booth info next week.

John

Dan Steele

Feb 6, 2014, 5:57:41 PM2/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
My vote is for the Startup booth.  I can set up on June 6th, but I won't be on the mainland until the afternoon so probably need a 4pm or later time..

Dan.

kburr

Feb 9, 2014, 8:44:04 PM2/9/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The startup booth idea sounds like a great idea. I would love to bring the beast there, and hopefully with not as much extra crap as last year :D

P.Jensen

Feb 13, 2014, 1:07:08 AM2/13/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

I am in for the startup booth ,might have a few things to sell.

Cheers.

Peter

Gerald Orban

Feb 16, 2014, 5:52:02 PM2/16/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I spoke to the organizer of the Makerfaire at eatART today and she warned me that they will be vetting and screening 3d printer booths much more this year and suggested that we make sure we get our application in ASAP to make sure that we claim our spot.

John Biehler

Feb 16, 2014, 5:54:48 PM2/16/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm just waiting to hear from all those that want to be a part of the 3D604 booth since I have to submit names and allocate enough space for those interested.

John Biehler

Feb 17, 2014, 2:29:59 PM2/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Last call for MakerFaire.

So far it looks like we've got Dan, Kurt, Rob, Peter, Warren and myself. That's a great size but we can fit more in.

I'll be submitting the application tonight for the 'startup' booth.

Nick Wimpney

Feb 17, 2014, 2:59:50 PM2/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

I don't think I'll be selling anything.

-Nick

Warren

Feb 17, 2014, 3:52:54 PM2/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, Sorry I am out just found out, My son has picked that weekend for his wedding he's up in Grande Prairie AB so I am out. Hope you guys have a good one and hopefully I can participate in the next one.

Peter Jensen

Feb 17, 2014, 7:39:06 PM2/17/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

I would like choice 2  or 3  in that order.

looking forward to the show and working on it together.

Peter

John Biehler

Feb 18, 2014, 5:07:48 PM2/18/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone (you too Andrew!)....I've submitted our application and will keep the group posted when we're confirmed.

John Biehler

Apr 7, 2014, 12:21:47 PM4/7/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
MakerFaire 2014 update: I've just submitted the rest of the paperwork for VMMF. We'll have a 'startup' maker booth which means we can sell items so start printing stuff!

Total cost for the registration was $105 which I've paid.

At this moment, there are 7 of us participating: Dan, Kurt, Rob, Peter, Nick, Colin and myself. This means it will be $15 per participant.

I'm also thinking I'll get a bunch more 3D604 cards made up since we always get asked for more info....this was only around $40 last time ( I may get more though since we went through them all). I'm thinking if everyone pitches in $20 (total) that should cover everything. I'm still not sure about our table/layout configuration but it's been suggested that we'll have the same area as last year, possibly further back in the building but that 'corner' area.

More details as I get them.

Thanks again everyone!

John Biehler

Apr 7, 2014, 12:26:09 PM4/7/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
That's $20 per person total (includes the booth and the business cards). You can pay me at the next meetup or at MakerFaire.

Just in case that wasn't clear :)

On Monday, 7 April 2014 09:21:47 UTC-7, John Biehler wrote:
[...]

theglasairpilot

Apr 16, 2014, 6:49:27 PM4/16/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
John Grindon

OK, John B. you convinced me to come and show off my "Evolution". I'll have a few more prints by than as well.

John Biehler

Apr 23, 2014, 12:58:47 AM4/23/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
For those of you participating this year, here's a couple of pre-events you may want to attend that just came in from the Maker Faire Coordinator. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for both events. I'll handle the onsite setup of the booth and have already been in talks with the organizers about our setup so the walkthru event may not be necessary but it's optional:

MAKER SOCIAL ON MAY 10TH
We're getting more and more excited as June draws nearer, and no doubt so are you! We'd love to see you at our 2014 Maker Social on Saturday, May 10th from 6:30 - 10:00 p.m. at Mozilla (suite 209, 163 West Hastings). This is your opportunity to mingle with other Makers, talk about your projects, and ask questions of some of the organizers. There will be a little bit of Show-N-Tell, a little bit of Q-and-A, and door prizes. Oh, and refreshments. More details are on the RSVP pagePlease RSVP by May 5th. Many thanks to Mozilla for generously offering their awesome space for our use!

PNE FORUM WALKTHROUGH ON MAY 17TH
As in previous years, we've scheduled an afternoon (Saturday, May 17th) for our Maker and Volunteer Walkthrough at the PNE Forum. This is your chance to see the space and ask questions of the Maker Coordinator and the Production Manager. If you've never attended Maker Faire, never participated in a show at the Forum, or if your exhibit is not a standard booth, you'll find it especially beneficial to attend. More information is on the RSVP pagePlease RSVP by May 5th

John Biehler

May 30, 2014, 11:38:08 AM5/30/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Just got our loadin time for Maker Faire on Friday, June 5th. We can start setting up from 3pm onwards. I'll be there right at 3pm to setup the tables (our booth is G1 which they'll direct you to when you arrive - same area as last year for those familiar) but feel free to come anytime after that until about 8pm.

Here's the procedure for checkin on Friday. Note that I (John) will checkin the group and you can't checkin before I do for the group so there is no need to arrive early.

Friday June 6, 2014

  1. Enter the PNE grounds through Gate 2 on Renfrew. Turn right into Lot 1, stopping to get directions from our Traffic Volunteer;
  2. Park in the waiting zone;
  3. Walk to the Maker check-in table, get your Maker Package, and follow a Maker Happiness Volunteer to your assigned booth area; **YOU MUST CHECK-IN FIRST, EVEN IF YOU PLAN TO NOT DRIVE INTO THE FORUM**
  5. Unload and drive out right away;
  6. Park elsewhere on the PNE site (parking is free on Friday)
  7. Come back and set up your booth (this can, of course be done later in the day if necessary)

Driving in the Forum: Please drive in a counter-clockwise direction only, maximum speed of a slow crawl, and follow the instructions of our Traffic Volunteers.

You won't be able to drive in on Saturday if you can't make it Friday night. You'll have to lug your stuff down the ramp.

Parking for the weekend is $10/day and you can purchase a weekend pass on Saturday morning when you arrive.

Doors open for Makers (us) at 8am with doors to the public opening at 10am. If you haven't checked in on Friday (to get your wristband and lanyard - which you need to wear all weekend), checkin for crew starts at 8:30am.

Sunday Pack up and Load-out

The Faire ends at 6pm on Sunday June 8. Please do not start packing up your exhibit until you hear the announcement that the Faire has ended.

Vehicles will not be allowed into the Forum before 6:30pm. This allows for the clearance of any outdoor exhibits that would impede the safe flow of traffic into and out of the Forum.

  • Once the Faire is over, the loading ramp is for vehicles only and people wearing safety vests. This is for everybody's safety.
  • First, tear down and pack up your exhibit as completely as possible.
  • After you are given the okay, you may go get your vehicle. Please realize that there will be a lot of Makers wanting to do this, so wear an extra layer of Patience.
  • Priority load out is given to the Makers who need to catch a ferry. If this is you, please let us know when you Check In on Friday or Saturday.
  • Follow the instructions of the Traffic Volunteers. We will be controlling the number of vehicles in the building at one time, and needing to coordinate traffic coming in and going out.
  • Remember, in the Forum drive in a counter-clockwise direction, and very slowly.
  • Anyone acting or driving in an unsafe manner or being disrespectful towards the Traffic Volunteers, Staff or other Makers, will be moved to the back of the line. (Veteran VMMF Makers know that liisa will do this.)
  • Makers who are able to carry out their materials without bringing in a vehicle may leave through any of the exit doors (except the ramp) anytime after 6pm.
They have anti-fatigue mats available for rent ($15 for the weekend) if you want to save your feet. If you're interested, let me know before Tuesday, June 2nd.

I've made up a bunch of 3D604 table signs with our url and info which we can scatter amongst the tables. I've also done the same with the specs for the printers I'll be bringing. Figure it will save me having to repeat their details a million times if they are front and centre beside the machine - you may want to do the same if you have time - I can post a photo if you'd like to see what they look like. I picked up some plexi 5x7 frames from Dollarama that standup on their own. Think they turned out pretty good for $1.25.

If you have any questions/issues/etc with loadin and Maker Faire in general, don't hesitate to call me (604-351-8146) as I'll be onsite from 3pm Friday until 8pm Sunday during Maker Faire.

John

Peter Jensen

May 30, 2014, 2:06:01 PM5/30/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John
Thanks for the detailed info
I will attend only saturday
And walk my stuff in on sat morning
Cheri. My wife likes to join
I guess she had to pay entrance fee ?

Cheers.  Peter

Send from my iphone :)

John Biehler

Jun 2, 2014, 11:59:38 AM6/2/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter.

Just bring Cheri with you when you check in...she should be able to get a wristband. You'll have to checkin at the side entrance near the ramp.

John
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 3d604+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Dan Steele

Jun 5, 2014, 11:39:19 AM6/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

Noelle Aiden and I should be arriving some time around 3pm.  So see you then!  Of course because the faire is this weekend a printer that has been working 100% for months is now sitting in pieces on my dining room table.  I will hopefully have it fixed by Friday though.

Dan.

John Biehler

Jun 5, 2014, 11:43:29 AM6/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Haha...sadly I know the feeling Dan! My MakerBot has been working overtime and just a couple of days ago (as I was trying to finish the MAKE robot) started skipping again on the X axis. Fortunately, Greg is coming to MakerFaire again and is bringing me a replacement motor cable so I'll be doing some bot (relatively easy) surgery on Friday afternoon.

See you guys tomorrow!

kburr

Jun 5, 2014, 7:03:50 PM6/5/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully traffic is lightish as I will be coming after work and hopefully be there before 4:30. I hope everyone is ready for repeating their shpeils a hundred times over :D

John Biehler

Jun 6, 2014, 12:19:00 AM6/6/14
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder everyone to bring all the tools, extension cords, etc that you need as we'll just have tables and chairs on site...nothing else.