Vacuum Metalizing

Bryan Dott

Jul 10, 2015, 7:38:40 PM7/10/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Dose any know if their is a place in B.C. that can chrome parts? We use to use a Vacuum metalising process in LA .

JG-Evolution

Jul 14, 2015, 11:08:15 AM7/14/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have used these guys with great results  http://www.dependableplating.com/en/

JG-Evolution

Graeme Bennett

Jul 18, 2015, 3:38:30 AM7/18/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I've heard that the process leaves a lot of highly toxic waste behind. Do you have any info about that? I like shiny objects, but....

Nick Wimpney

Jul 18, 2015, 5:07:43 AM7/18/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I think that will depend on the process. I am not an expert on the subject,  but as far as I know, vacuum metallizing itself is probably pretty clean (vapour, or sputtering).  I know a lot of chemical based plating processes use some nasty stuff, though,  so that might be a different story.

JG-Evolution

Jul 20, 2015, 8:32:01 PM7/20/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Evolution here

When I first read your post, I assumed you were just not useing the right terms ( MY BAD ) I have never heard of "Vacuum Metalising before. I have had lots of items on my Airplane crome plated at the shop I mentioned before. These companies half to have all the systems in place to handle any nasty left overs. So, I guess the question is.....What is your top priority cromeing somthing or ?

Loial Otter

Jul 20, 2015, 11:48:09 PM7/20/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Vacuum metalization has some very unique properties such as the ability to chrome or metal plate plastic components. It also has the ability to plate things much more evenly from what I understand. I also understand that it's actually a very clean process as it's only using a vacuum chamber and heating the deposited material until it liquefies and 'bursts'. I'm not sure if this would produce an atomised metal problem though.

I'd check with Surf Tech out in Port Moody (http://www.sti-coatings.com/index.html). They don't list vacuum metalization, but they seemed to really know their stuff for anodizing and other coatings when I was looking into someone to hard-coat some aluminum.

If they can't do the item, they'll be able to tell you who in town can.

Regards,
     Loial

Bryan Dott

Jul 21, 2015, 5:21:15 PM7/21/15
to 3D604
Vacume Metalizing is pretty neat toucan have a wide variety of materials done. This process is how the get the gold on the visors for the astronauts. It's done in a vacume chamber I believe the part has an electrical charge to it. Whatever material you want on the product say gold is put in the chamber in a small capsule. The chamber is vacuumed at a certain point the capsule pops covering your part. Their is some sort of spray to seal the part. Simple but can be pricy we use it a lot in films. It's beautiful