Sub $200 (US) 3D printers are here...

John Biehler

May 30, 2016, 1:00:00 PM5/30/16
to 3D604
Monoprice just released the first, fully assembled 3D printer for $199, the Maker Select Mini. It looks pretty decent for the price point (unbelievably good actually) considering it has a colour lcd and a heated bed. Looks to be set up for only PLA (at least stock) with a max bed temp of 60C.

Looks to be a variant of the Printrbot Play and a rebranded model that's been on Alexpress for a while at $550US.

There is a big thread on Reddit with unboxing, first print videos, etc.

Sounds like it's far from perfect but a big leap in quality and the price can't be beat for what it comes with.

I've ordered one via Amazon.com ($215US with free shipping and no tax) and it should be here in a day or so.

John Biehler

May 30, 2016, 1:01:45 PM5/30/16
to 3D604
I guess technically the Mini Fabrikator from Hobbyking was the first sub-$200 but they were in limited supply and full of issues and are currently unavailable.

Dan Steele

May 30, 2016, 10:27:42 PM5/30/16
to 3D604
I'll be interested to hear what you think.  The Reddit thread is intriguing.  The print area is pretty small on this one for anything but much smaller prints then I mostly do.  Still could be a great printer for carrying around to shows and what not.

Dan.

John Biehler

Jun 13, 2016, 8:49:18 PM6/13/16
to 3D604
I showed a few folks the printer last weekend at Maker Faire. Here's my full review of the printer (TLDR - buy one now - this thing is crazy good for $200US!)

It's also worth mentioning that the controller is a 32-bit ARM Cortex M3 and has built in wifi support although the current version of the firmware doesn't have it enabled but that's supposed to be address in an update due soon.

Monoprice just posted that they have more in stock.

Graeme Bennett

Jun 15, 2016, 3:01:51 AM6/15/16
to 3D604
...and they are out of stock again!. ETA for the next restock is 2016/7/12. Interesting news about the wifi. Also, apparently they are sending sample filament to those who were supposed to get it (as advertised) but didn't receive it in their package.

Graeme Bennett

Jun 15, 2016, 3:48:56 AM6/15/16
to 3D604
It's a good thing the MP Select Mini doesn't have the tag line that's apparently printed on the Malyan M200. http://m.alibaba.com/product/60404511496/2016-New-model-Malyan-M200-with.html  " Realizing Possibilty" [sic]
LOL!

John Biehler

Jun 15, 2016, 1:28:21 PM6/15/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I got my 'sample filament' which turned out to be a few feet of black pla and a coupon. Unfortunately since I had the printer shipped to my mailbox in Lynden, it was a trip that cost more in gas than what was in the package envelope....let alone my toll and parcel fees. At least I loaded up on groceries though. Feel free to use the generic discount code...it plus their Father's Day sale  (they are stackable discounts) means pretty cheap filament....shipping to Canada not included.