Proto-pasta has arrived.

Ian Smith

Feb 23, 2015, 7:58:42 PM2/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
My order of Stainless Steel PLA has arrived. Also included is 125g each of PolyCarbonate-ABS Alloy and Carbon Fibre PLA. Not sure if I can print the PolyCarbonate as they spec a 260C hot end. I've never tried to get that hot.

Should be interesting.

John Biehler

Feb 23, 2015, 8:03:14 PM2/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I've got some samples of various ProtoPasta filaments I'll bring to the next meetup/printer demo.

Really impressed with how the stainless steel pla printed...but learned that you'll want to increase your infill to get a better 'metal' feeling of the part...I printed a few items at 10% infill and they worked fine but compared to the 90% infill versions, still feels like plastic. The higher infill parts feel like real metal.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Ian Smith <iansm...@gmail.com> wrote:
My order of Stainless Steel PLA has arrived. Also included is 125g each of PolyCarbonate-ABS Alloy and Carbon Fibre PLA. Not sure if I can print the PolyCarbonate as they spec a 260C hot end. I've never tried to get that hot.

Should be interesting.

Ian

Feb 23, 2015, 8:10:44 PM2/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John.

I'm waiting for some hot end parts. As soon as I have it up and running I will be seeing what I can do with the new flavours. I have also ordered the brass, copper and bronze "Filament" from kickstarter. If those actually work as well as the photos indicate it will be really impressive.

Miststlkr

Feb 23, 2015, 8:13:08 PM2/23/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

That sounds cool.  I really need to pay more attention.... I completely missed this