Stepper motors to choose

chee

Jun 16, 2016, 7:13:49 PM6/16/16
to 3D604

Nick Wimpney

Jun 16, 2016, 9:07:47 PM6/16/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Of those 3, the last is probably the most appropriate.

Both of the first two are quite high voltage, which usually means a high inductance, and really bad drops in torque at higher rpms.
The first one is high voltage too, and is probably too small anyway..

Nick Wimpney

Jun 16, 2016, 9:26:25 PM6/16/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I think there's probably better places to buy motors though.  I have bought a bunch from wantai motors on ebay, or wantmotor.com  The shipping can be a bit expensive, but the motors are quite cheap.  The main advantage is that they have lots of different ones to choose from.

Edward Simpson

Jun 16, 2016, 9:46:39 PM6/16/16
to 3D604
Hi Chee,
For a 20x20x20cm bot, just about any of those motors will work, it largely depends on what kind of speed you're aiming for. For example, the Prusa i3 and it's many variations typically use the 34mm steppers, anything more is usually overkill at that size. As a comparison, the sparkfun motors are 48mm 400 steps/revolution, normally only used with some of the really big deltas (1.5 meters tall and up) and need the pricer 32-bit controllers to see full benifit. There's a good article on choosing steppers here.
Hope that helps and Welcome to the group :)

Edward Simpson

Ashley Webster

Jun 16, 2016, 10:33:48 PM6/16/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
If you want to get really technical, plug the numbers into these spreadsheets and see what kind of curves you get. There are currently spreadsheets for the A4988, 8825, and 6128 drivers. Instructions are in the spreadsheets.

Mr. Ashley Webster
3DPrintVancouver.com

John Grindon

Jun 16, 2016, 11:26:08 PM6/16/16
to 3D604
Just go to http://us.stepperonline.com  You can get them for $9.50 USD. Have them shipped to the border for real cheap. I use Can-Amer to send my stuff to.

chee

Jun 17, 2016, 2:25:45 AM6/17/16
to 3D604
Hey all,

Thank you for all the advice and opinions.
I'm doing for a school project so they kinda want to get the shipping quick and digikey is fast at that because our school have order bulks with them and getting stuff is fast.
Budget wise is from school so, I have some freedom to play around.

May I ask does the type of the driver matter? From A4988, 8825, and 6128, I have talk to one of my classmate and he said if printing for fun then for starter A4988 should be enough and later on just upgrade to 8825 for longer printing.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Chee

Edward Simpson

Jun 17, 2016, 10:52:11 AM6/17/16
to 3D604
I'm using A4988's myself, there simple to setup, quiet and reliable. DRV8825's are the worst choice for a 3D printer, there's a lot of noise issues with them unless you carefully match the stepper motors to them, even then they typically sound like a demented teakettle when running. 6128's are sometimes hard to find, but they're the best driver's you can get at the moment, just as easy to use as 4988's, but with much better cooling and higher micro stepping.
Edward

Nick Wimpney

Jun 17, 2016, 1:07:14 PM6/17/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I have been using 4988s on a fast delta printer,  and even on a cnc router. assuming you don't need really high currents they are fine.

they are probably still the most common by far in 3d printers.

Loial Otter

Jun 17, 2016, 3:17:23 PM6/17/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Weird; I use DRV8825's because they're quieter, better microstepping (x32) and far more robust (you can't kill one easily by unplugging a stepper while it's running). I've blown up too many A4988's to ever use them again. As an added bonus, the DRV8825's generally run cooler and allow for higher currents. Also there's a trick where you can invert the carrier boards and use the bottom side of the PCB as a proper heatsink instead of trying to strap a heatsink onto an insulating plastic package.

Regards

Nick Wimpney

Jun 17, 2016, 3:22:52 PM6/17/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Yeah.  I think any of the TI stuff is great too.   Back to motors,  though.  I wonder if you noticed the lead times on those.   8 Weeks, etc

chee

Jun 17, 2016, 3:24:15 PM6/17/16
to 3D604
hahahah demented teakettle am I watching a horror movie?

Edward Simpson

Jun 17, 2016, 3:31:14 PM6/17/16
to 3D604
What I meant by teakettle was that 8825's generate audible hissing at 15 kHz and 30 kHz unless you carefully match the stepper motors to the drivers.
Edward

Nick Wimpney

Jun 17, 2016, 3:35:44 PM6/17/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

4988s aren't exactly quiet either. The hiss on my cnc drives me nuts, but it depends a lot on your hearing at high frequencies.

chee

Jun 17, 2016, 5:17:27 PM6/17/16
to 3D604
Digi-Key Stock: 62 can ship immediately. I saw it on digikey, so I guess I'm golden.