This is what happens when you trust a makerbot.

Max Hynes

Jun 17, 2015, 4:10:24 PM6/17/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
So, Off to school I go! once again, leaving my 3D printer running. I log into my webcam and look what I find?

François Lahey

Jun 17, 2015, 4:17:57 PM6/17/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Not cool Max!

Sorry for your print! Could happen with any 3D Printer tough.

I don't know why I always come out to defend Makerbot even if we don't sell them but well, I feel it's the right thing :-)

Cheers :-)

FL

So, Off to school I go! once again, leaving my 3D printer running. I log into my webcam and look what I find?

Regards,
Stay tuned for new products and special deals

Max Hynes

Jun 17, 2015, 4:21:47 PM6/17/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Its not that I dont like makerbots, its just that it likes to do this with large prints, I havent checked it in person yet, but i dont know how it lost buildplate adhesion.

Loial Otter

Jun 17, 2015, 6:25:43 PM6/17/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's pretty easy. All prints change in size while they're being printed. It's a characteristic of most materials that as it heats and cools it changes in size and on things like thermoplastics the structure tightens each heat/cool cycle and overall makes the object to curl. On larger prints, this causes the adhesion to the table to often fail. It always starts out with the corners pulling up then, once they're high enough and cold, the nozzle hits them and breaks it free the rest of the way.

Ways to help deal with this; one is to use a lightly heated bed if you're printing with PLA (we're talking 60C) as it'll keep things more pliable. If that's not an option (such as if you don't have a heated bed) you can apply a few different types of glue to make it adhere better. PVA (A.K.A. white glue mixed with water) can give a pretty good bond. I'm sure there are others with better methods as most of mine are from a few years back now.

There are some things that can improve it as well such as changing the amount of fan you have blowing on the model. On larger prints it's sometimes worth it to turn the fan off so the print stays at least partly warm. Of course, this only can help to a degree. Also, if the object being printed has both large areas and small it can cause blobbing on the small areas as they get too hot.

Another thing that helps, and it looks like you had that, was a good support structure. Having a support that is just in one direction aligned with the narrow direction of the print allows the print to grow and shrink a certain amount... again, it's not a cure-all but it does help.

Errr... and a little bit on safety... I haven't seen a 3d printer catch on fire, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility with their heaters and high current parts. I suggest, and it's only a suggestion (that i've broken way too many times) to never leave your printer unattended.

Regards,
     Loial

Max Hynes

Jun 17, 2015, 6:29:46 PM6/17/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Well, I guess i know what Il be doing all weekend. crys :(

Max Hynes

Jun 18, 2015, 12:15:47 PM6/18/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Fixed it!