Looking for a place to get general robotics/3D printing hardware

KP Chiang

Sep 4, 2015, 4:24:40 AM9/4/15
to 3D604
Both of my go-to printers are broken !   They are Boots industry delta printers with the weak steel cables that breaks easily.
I have found plans to upgrade them to more reliable GT2 belts so I am looking for some parts.   Wouldn't it be nice to have a local hardware store that caters to 3D printing/robotics hobbists?

At the moment the parts I need are :

GT2 20T Pulleys with 5 mm bore
GT2 belt (6 mm wide)
F608ZZ bearings (flanged ones, last time I checked, Lee's electronics carries non-flanged ones)

If there's no local stores then a web store will be fine.   Just prefer to drive and pick up on the same day instead of paying shipping everytime I need something and then wait for a week for things to arrive.

On the other hand I remember seeing delta printers driven by fishing line or some sort at a 3D604 meet up.   How did it work out ?   Is there a specific grade/brand of fishing line that performs well?

Thanks
KP

Rob Hall

Sep 4, 2015, 4:30:38 AM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

For your bearings try Lordco then will get them with in a day or so
Or b&b bearing

The line I.think your thinking of is called spectra line my spelling might be wrong

François Lahey

Sep 4, 2015, 11:10:19 AM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

If you can't find everything we have the belts and pulley, not the flanged bearings in Montreal.

You can pick the dual kit then add more belts meter if needed to save money. We will send the belt in one piece for anything up to 20 meters total.

Best regards,
François

Nick Wimpney

Sep 4, 2015, 11:56:41 AM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I have been running my printer on 80lb test spectra fishing line. It seems to work well at reasonable speeds. My hunch is that extremely fast cornering is probably going to have more ringing, but I have printed as fast as my jhead would handle with no problems.

The biggest upside is that it's  cheap once you have bought a spool.  If it gets frayed over time,  you can just replace the lines.   I haven't broken any yet though,  just retensioned them a few times when they were a little loose.  (you want a fairly high ping,  like a  guitar string.)

Rob Hall

Sep 4, 2015, 12:06:45 PM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Nick where do you get it I wouldn't mind trying

Nick Wimpney

Sep 4, 2015, 12:22:11 PM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I bought mine from Amazon,  but I am sure you could find it at a sporting goods store as well.  I believe dyneema is another competing non-stretch fibre,  as well.  Not sure how heavy you need to go,  either.  80lb works well.   I am guessing that if you went below  50 or so you would probably need to reduce the tension and it might be bouncy.

Are you in vancouver?  I could give you some.

Rob Hall

Sep 4, 2015, 12:28:42 PM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

I am in mission Nick but that's ok

Nick Wimpney

Sep 4, 2015, 12:38:52 PM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

another place to get belts and pulleys cheap is hobbyking. The ones I have on my new printer are xl, not gt2, but they are cheap and have a 5mm pulley,  and a matching pulley on a shaft,  which makes a great idler.

I can post  sku#s if anyone is interested.

Ashley Webster

Sep 4, 2015, 1:55:36 PM9/4/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Most things like belts, pulleys, and bearings I get from RobotDigg.com. Good prices and fast (but not cheap) shipping. Spectra / Dyneema line you can get from local fishing stores but it's pretty expensive considering you only need part of a roll. If you're not in a rush then you can definitely find it cheaper on Aliexpress / Ebay / Amazon.

Mr. Ashley Webster
3DPrintVancouver.com

KP Chiang

Sep 6, 2015, 4:17:07 AM9/6/15
to 3D604
Thanks everyone, I'll look into those.
Message has been deleted

Nick Wimpney

Sep 11, 2015, 1:53:20 PM9/11/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Weird.  I haven't looked at how theirs is done, but I've been using the spectra lines without any problem for years and haven't broken one yet.  I just printed the spools from the original kossel, and ground some grooves in some 608 bearings.  It's starting to look a little frayed now, but it's gotten quite a bit of use and I don't mind replacing the lines every year or two when it does eventually break.

My new printer which has been working for just a few days now (still needs the electronics cleaned up/mounted), is using cheap belts, and that works great too.  These are the parts I used.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11706
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10496
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11710
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8412
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11520

The bearings come in a pack of 4, so don't do like I did and order 14.  I meant to order enough for 2 printers, plus a couple spares.  now I have a lot of bearings. ;)

A friend of mine who used those idler shafts first had made the idler bracket to take those bearings and collars, and I further modified it to mount a standard full sized microswitch, instead of the smaller ones that are usually used.

Keep in mind, they are xl belts, so the pitch is pretty coarse, but I'm not sure that's really a problem.  They seem to work well.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM, Graeme Bennett <graemea...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had one of those Spectra lines break within 50 hours of printing on a brand-new Boots Industries 2.5 printer, so I suggest doing the belt upgrade/conversions. There are a couple of DIY belt conversion kits on Thingiverse.com and the bootsindustries.com website, such as  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:754491 and  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:607516.

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 1:17:07 AM UTC-7, KP Chiang wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'll look into those.

Ian Smith

Sep 11, 2015, 5:18:23 PM9/11/15
to 3D604
I did the boots belt upgrade on my V2.5.  Made a huge difference and was pretty easy to install.  Took about 1.5 or 2 hours and it was back up and running.  There are different values for the steps.  I can look them up if you need them.

Nick Wimpney

Sep 11, 2015, 5:40:22 PM9/11/15
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
You can easily calculate the steps.  All you need to know is number of teeth on the pulley, number of steps on your motor, microsteps on your controller, and belt pitch

(motor_steps*microsteps)/(number_of_teeth*belt_pitch)=steps/mm

for example, on my printer with typical 200 step/rev motors, 16x microstepping, 9 tooth pulley, and XL belts:

(200*16)/(9*5.08)=69.991 steps/mm

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Ian Smith <iansm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did the boots belt upgrade on my V2.5.  Made a huge difference and was pretty easy to install.  Took about 1.5 or 2 hours and it was back up and running.  There are different values for the steps.  I can look them up if you need them.

KP Chiang

Sep 13, 2015, 9:06:01 PM9/13/15
to 3D604
Ian,

If you can send me the new steps/mm value it would be great.

Thanks
KP