Missed the Jan 2016 3D604 meet, recap please?

KP Chiang

Jan 20, 2016, 10:29:07 PM1/20/16
to 3D604
I try to go to all the meetups but had to miss that one because my grandfather in Taiwan was rushed to ICU.   I had to fly back to see him.   The good news is his health is stable for now.

I knew the meetup's discussion was about 3D scanning and outcome of CES related to change in 3D printer market :

"
On Tuesday, 29 December 2015 12:43:21 UTC-8, John Biehler wrote:
Personally I wouldn't buy anything until after CES (next week) as it may be a very different landscape in consumer 3dp with the Solidoodle rumours, 3D Systems walking away from consumers, HP entering the industrial space, etc.

So can I get a recap of the discussion? thanks thanks thanks

John Biehler

Jan 20, 2016, 10:35:53 PM1/20/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I didn't take notes but we basically demoed a number of different 3d scanners (pros/cons/costs) and I walked through my CES photos/videos (my blog post recap is here).

Hope that helps!

KP Chiang

Jan 21, 2016, 2:12:59 AM1/21/16
to 3D604
Great ! Thanks !

Do you think Carbon3D technology will be the end of traditional thermoplastic FDM ?

On and off in the past two months I have spent time designing a FDM machine that prints one object with multiple extruders simultaneously to reduce print time....but I don't think a system I imagined can achieve 25~100 times print time reduction.

John Biehler

Jan 21, 2016, 2:26:58 AM1/21/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I'm skeptical that consumers will be able to afford Carbon3d type-printers in the foreseeable future...I'm starting to feel we'll have FDM around for longer than I'd hope with cost being the main reason.

The speed issue is overstated.

Resin printers, like powder or sintering machines still require a lot of post processing (often with harsh/toxic chemicals). Sure you might get the part printed in a short time but you'll spend hours polishing it.

Nick Wimpney

Jan 25, 2016, 3:36:55 PM1/25/16
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The resins themselves are kinda nasty(and very messy) as well.

I think they'll both always have their place, as they have different advantages for different uses.

Comparing them based on just speed is kind of like saying minivans will soon be obsolete because of sports cars.

Tiago Santos

Jan 29, 2016, 8:25:58 PM1/29/16
to 3D604

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:36:55 PM UTC-8, NickW wrote:

Comparing them based on just speed is kind of like saying minivans will soon be obsolete because of sports cars.

As far as I'm aware, they should! :D