Newbe

Steve Tysinger

Aug 4, 2015, 11:49:33 PM8/4/15
to 360Cities Community

   What is the best stitching tool for me I do not have a fish eye lens Yet.  I know this is basic for most , but I have to start somewhere>

   Can i still shoot the top and bottom pixs.  How do they stitch   Dose the program do that.  I can't find a good ans. in the F&Q"s

Steve  Aug 5th   ccl...@gmail.com

James Sarrett

Aug 5, 2015, 12:35:13 PM8/5/15
to 360Cities Community
The best tool is the one you know how to use.  I use Hugin, but it's pretty fussy.  If you're on windows or Mac, there are lots of apps to choose from. Google is your friend.  AFAIK most, if not all, of them will handle rectilinear as well as fisheye lenses, so you can try just using a wide angle lens, a tripod, and getting lots of overlap.

-James

Martín Velasco Bertolotto

Aug 11, 2015, 9:46:26 AM8/11/15
to 360Cities Community
I think PTGui is very nice to use. I have been working for long with regular lens and it works for me. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-WEosizCzE and wellcome!

Joe Griffin

Aug 14, 2015, 2:38:32 PM8/14/15
to 360Cities Community
Hugin is a good place to start because it is free-- that's why I started using it, and continue to.  I also started out without a fisheye, I cobbled together a pano head with $10 worth of aluminum and some bolts from Home Depot, attached my cheap point and shoot to it, and went to town.  The panos came out pretty well, but they required more than 60 photos per pano (with my fisheye, it now takes about 6-9 photos).

Shooting the top and bottom pictures works the same as any others, and yes, Hugin stitches them in no problem.  Keep in mind that if you are not using a fisheye, you'll need to shoot several rows of shots in between the top and bottom.

I'd be happy to send a picture of my first-home made pano head, and some pointers for making do without a fisheye if you're interested.  Or just get yourself a fisheye (the cheapest and most popular is the one made by  Samyang, also rebranded Rokinon and several other names).

Joe

steve

Aug 15, 2015, 12:35:30 AM8/15/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks   Yes I would like to see it    Steve

                ccl...@gmail.com

            https://www.youtube.com/user/stcountrytraveler

Joe Griffin

Aug 17, 2015, 11:12:49 AM8/17/15
to 360Cities Community
This is as simple a set up as you'll find--  I made it out of a few bolts, washers, and aluminum from the local hardware store.  The aluminum is soft enough to easily drill through and bend (I bent it by putting the aluminum under a piece of wood, backing my car on to the wood, and tapping the bend to a good angle with a hammer).

Make sure you are able to at least approximate the no-parallax point in the lens, and ensure the pano rig rotates around that point (i.e. the pivot points align--see the blue arrows).

The way I used this set-up, was to take photos in vertical bands around, slowly around the field of view, using the screen on the camera to ensure that each shot overlapped the last a little bit.  Took 60+ photos per panorama, and therefore a long time to stitch, but the results were often pretty good.

Joe
pano head with angles.jpg

Joe Griffin

Aug 17, 2015, 11:14:42 AM8/17/15
to 360Cities Community
A couple of panos I took with the rig:

https://www.360cities.net/image/machupicchu3

https://www.360cities.net/image/faro-de-la-marina-lima-peru

Certain things are much more challenging with a rig like this, oceans and waves, for instance.