linking spheres in wikipedia

Erik Bjers

Sep 19, 2014, 4:44:43 AM9/19/14
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I saw a tip when editing the description of one of my spheres and it said I could add a link to my sphere in the external links section of wikipedia.

When I try to add a link to my sphere of Wli falls to the Wli Falls article on wikipedia and I received the following message

  • Your edit was not saved because it contains a new external link to a site registered on Wikipedia's blacklist.
  • To save your changes now, you must go back and remove the blocked link (shown below), and then save.
    • Note that if you used a redirection link or URL shortener (like e.g. 'goo.gl', 't.co', 'youtu.be', 'bit.ly'), you may still be able to save your changes by using the direct, non-shortened link - you generally obtain the non-shortened link by following the link, and copying the contents of the address bar of your web-browser after the page has loaded.
    • Links containing 'google.com/url?' are resulting from a copy/paste from the result page of a Google search - please follow the link on the result page, and copy/paste the contents of the address bar of your web-browser after the page has loaded.
  • If you feel the link is needed, you can:
    • Request that the entire website be allowed, that is, removed from the local or global spam blacklists (check both lists to see which one is affecting you).
    • Request that just the specific page be allowed, without unblocking the whole website, by asking on the spam whitelist talk page.
  • Blacklisting indicates past problems with the link, so any requests should clearly demonstrate how inclusion would benefit Wikipedia.

Has anyone else tried this or had similar problems?

Erik

H. J. Weber

Sep 20, 2014, 9:36:58 AM9/20/14
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

many other user of 360cities have already complained about this- and other problems for shure some months ago.
The answer from Elena: I will inform our IT-team to solve this problems asap.
Until today nothing solved aswell a lot of other problems, for example the map which was very useful to adjust the direction of the pano`s. I am very disappointed.
The IT-team is probably very busy by establishing the new website and repairing the bugs.

Best greetings to you and the whole community

Herbert

Mark Fink

Oct 27, 2015, 9:00:46 AM10/27/15
to 360Cities Community
I just tried doing this, since I was prompted to when pasting a link into the description for a new VR I published. I was all excited about doing my first wikipedia update and got the dreaded "Your edit was not saved because it contains a new external link to a site registered on Wikipedia's blacklist." This is what I entered for the link information:

== External Links ==

It would be great if 360Cities could get removed from this blacklist.

Bruce Pales

Oct 28, 2015, 10:06:35 AM10/28/15
to 360Cities Community
Hi Mark, 360Cities was banned from Wikipedia a number of years ago. The reason given at the time was that photographers added links to Wikipedia articles that pointed to their panoramas on 360cities.net on which there were Google AdSense ads. When we tried to politely appeal, with the argument that there was no ill intention, the good folks at Wikipedia grew angrier. It's a long and old story, perhaps we should try again.

Bruce

Mark Fink

Oct 28, 2015, 10:10:39 AM10/28/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

That's too bad. You might want to alter the text that pops up when something gets pasted into the Description section. Currently it says:

IMPORTANT!

If you copy text from Wikipedia or other source for your image description, you MUST put a link to the page from which you copied the text!
360Cities may suspend your account if don't do this.

You can also put a link to your panoramas in the Wikipedia article. Look under the last section in the article called "External links". See here for an example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami

That's what got me trying to do just that. Perhaps cooler heads now prevail over at Wikipedia?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Fink
Step Into A Virtual World

Oct 28, 2015, 10:53:47 AM10/28/15
to 360Cities Community, mark...@virtual-travels.com
Thanks Mark for flagging - we'll modify the message and make it less shouty as well - no need to shout ;)

Mark Fink

Oct 28, 2015, 11:31:38 AM10/28/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
GRIN!

Mark Fink
Step Into A Virtual World

Oct 29, 2015, 6:26:03 PM10/29/15
to 360Cities Community, mark...@virtual-travels.com
Hey Mark,

We've softened the message - thanks for letting us know. I'll try to contact the good folks at Wikipedia but we will not remove ads from the image pages as much of the revenue goes to photographers. Agree with your wish that cooler heads prevail at Wikipedia.

Be well,

Bruce

Greg

Oct 29, 2015, 8:57:43 PM10/29/15
to 360Cities Community, mark...@virtual-travels.com
Heya Bruce !

do you think that one day (or another), we (pro users) will be able to also share revenues from those Carambola adverts ?

Regards // Greg

Bruce Pales

Oct 30, 2015, 10:49:16 AM10/30/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com, Mark Fink
Hi Greg,

Carambola currently doesn't allow account owner (360Cities) to allow individuals (PROs) to insert their code. Adfill and CPM rates are not what we had hoped and Carambola doesn't support mobile yet. We're still evaluating Carambola.

Greetings,

Bruce

Bruce Pales, CEO
360Cities
A Panoramic World Proudly Created by People
tel: +420 605 221 853 / skype: bruce.pales