How to decide between a Full Frame Fisheye (Samyang) vs Circular Fisheye (Sigma)

Roberto Ruiz

Jun 16, 2012, 9:42:01 AM6/16/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I know that my question depends in a lot of things, but give me your thoughts... (please put aside the $price. Give me your technical and personal opinion)
Also talk me about image quality, etc.

 I have a Samyang full frame fisheye and I don´t know if I would buy a Sigma fisheye

Thanks

Daniel Oi

Jun 16, 2012, 10:55:09 AM6/16/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I assume you are using an APS-C crop sensor, and you are asking about the Samyang 8mm/3.5 fisheye versus the Sigma 10mm/2.8 fisheye (or maybe the Sigma 8mm/3.5 or 8mm/4 or 15mm/2.8???).

Why are you considering replacing the Samyang? If you're satisfied with the Samyang 8mm/3.5, then there's no real need to get the Sigma 10mm/2.8. I have both and now don't use the Sigma anymore. The Samyang is sharp enough (at f/8), the stereographic-like mapping means that I have a 100 degree horizontal field of view (in portrait) so I can do a 4 around (zenith and nadir) spherical pano instead of 6 around with the Sigma. Never used the AF on the Sigma.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Roberto Ruiz

Jun 16, 2012, 2:58:46 PM6/16/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Thanks for your comments:

There are several things that turned me to think about that, but your post will help me:
- It is not easy to find sigma here at my country (Mexico) to have the lens in my hands
- my real hobby is RC quadcopters. Based in customers requests, I will take aerial panos
- based in the weight, I bought Samsung NX200 , so my panos are using this camera.
- I will take some vacations next week to San Francisco, so I was thinking if it could be a good oportunity to buy the sigma lens in order to test the lens with the camera on hand, and also to reduce the freight cost, taxes, etc.
So... quality is the same? That´s what I can conclude? No need to spend money in the lens?
No furhter aplication? The results will be the same?

Thanks for the help

Hilton

Jun 18, 2012, 2:39:45 PM6/18/12
to 360Cities Community
Roberto the two are very good ...
I had to Samyang 8mm and Sony A390 - http://360o.com.br/banhado
Today I am a sound T2i and Sigma 8mm - http://360o.com.br/mrv1

Sigma is more expensive than Samyang, but has automatic picture,
Samyang in compensation does not have black borders

Mohammad Reza Domiri Ganji

Jun 20, 2012, 5:11:40 PM6/20/12
to 360Cities Community
Hi , I dont know if I understood well or not . (Full Frame Fisheye
(Samyang) vs Circular Fisheye (Sigma))
but , I tested both Sigma 8mm Fisheye and Samyang 8mm Fisheye on Canon
EOS 7D .

as I remember , Samyand hadnt autofocus which isnt Really necessary in
VR photography . and the overall Quality was maybe little lower than
Sigma .
in Sigma I had more Degree of View about 180*120 , but in Samyang I
had about 165 Degree on longest side .

in Canon 7D , with 1.6 size of sensor . Samyang can give you higher
Resolution . 13000*7500 , when Sigma can give you about 12000 with 4
Shots .

Regards , Mohammad Reza

On Jun 16, 5:42 pm, Roberto Ruiz <proyectosecologi...@gmail.com>