Lens for panorama

Andy Martin

Jun 3, 2012, 8:56:04 PM6/3/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I'm using a 10x24 Tamron zoom lens and am looking for a fixed lens just for 360 photos. This is for a Canon EOS 60D.
What are the best options?

I've been taking two rows of nine pictures each row to get enough overlap.

thanks for the help, Andy

Igor Adamec

Jun 4, 2012, 6:19:17 AM6/4/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I guess '10x24 Tamron zoom lens' is 'Tamron 10-24mm'. I think you should consider getting a Fisheye lense, Take a look at this article...

http://www.virtualtour-360.com/lens-for-3d-panoramas.html

And here you can take a look at table that shows the approximate number of photographs needed for the spherical panorama production with different focal lengths...

http://www.virtualtour-360.com/spherical-3d-panorama-shooting.html

I use Canon 500D and both Sigma 8mm and Tokina 10-17mm. Tokina is my favorite, I need to take few more images then with Sigma 8mm, but as a result I get a better resolution of pano.

Andy Martin

Jun 4, 2012, 11:05:45 PM6/4/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice, and the links!  I'm guessing the Tamron at 10 mm is not really a fisheye lens?

Igor Adamec

Jun 5, 2012, 1:37:02 AM6/5/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
No, Tamron at 10 mm is ultra-wide lenses, the difference is that fisheye lenses at 10mm focal lenght have a wider field of view.
Take a look at this examples...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imflickring/2731212441/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpinkerton/4644474333/

and here is a nice article...

http://www.florian-knorn.com/2011/08/fisheye-vs-wide-angle-lenses-for-shooting-spherical-panoramas.html

When I am shooting panorama with Tokina at 10mm i need 6 pictures around, two up and one down.

Andy Martin

Jun 6, 2012, 9:20:49 PM6/6/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Great links!  Thank you, I'm saving up for a Tokina.  Andy

Johann Victor

Oct 4, 2012, 10:21:57 AM10/4/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Sigma 8mm F3.5 with Canon 5D