Android Mystery Question

Richard Chesher

Aug 27, 2015, 10:28:57 PM8/27/15
to 360Cities Community
I decided to get serious about promoting VR using Cardboard on Android phones and got started by trying to download the 360Cities Android App from the Play Store. I got a message, "This app is not available in your country" (New Caledonia).
Google bans paid apps from over 64 countries around the world - it's been that way from the start - nobody, not Google Support or even Google legal advisors, have any idea why the ban is in place. Most of the countries are little guys, like New Caledonia, Puerto Rico, etc. but China gets banned, too.
But the 360Cities app is free so it should be available here - or anywhere.
So, my mystery question is, "why is the 360Cities App banned by Google in New Caledonia?"
With a bonus question, "How does 360Cities (the company and the photographers) benefit from preventing people from downloading the app no matter where they might be?"
I'll bet you can't find an answer to either question.
But one question your tech guys CAN can answer is: "how can the ban on distribution be removed from the 360Cities Android App?

Richard Chesher

Elena Martínez - 360Cities

Aug 28, 2015, 6:12:07 AM8/28/15
to 360Cities Community
Hello Richard,

We are investigating it. I'll be back to you asap.

Best regards,
Elena

Greg

Aug 30, 2015, 3:54:48 AM8/30/15
to 360Cities Community
Richard,

I live in the same country as you, and face the same problems.

The solution :
  • Set up a new Google account (with absolutely no country information)
  • Fire up an android VPN (I tried nearly all of them), Tunnel Bear, is my CHoice
  • Once on the vpn, use some country like france, US, UK etc...
  • Launch play store
  • Enjoy and buy Paid apps.
The reason why the 360cities apps fall under the paid app categrory, is because you can make some payment with it, like paying for not having adverts.

Hope this will help you.

Greg

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2015, 5:38:06 PM8/30/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Thanks Greg. A few years ago I tried spoofing Google with Astrill VPN but Google was able to detect my sim card was OPT and refused Play Store service.
Astrill does mislead Google search findings but not the play store.

I'll try it again following your suggestions. I'm about to get a new phone so will do a completely fresh start and see what happens. Android/Google is totally integrated with the phone so maybe the new phone and new account will work.

Yes I know the 360Cities app has in app purchases to cancel the adds. I was teasing them, hoping they might possibly decide to dump the adds which hardly anyone responds to and make the app totally free.

I thought you lived in Tahiti?

Cheers,

Richard

richard...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2015, 2:48:37 AM9/4/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Just thinking about trying this and I wanted to check; you can use your Android mobile on 3G (not WiFi) and access the play store?
I know it works on a normal land-line by connecting the phone via WiFi but thought Google could detect the SIM card location when trying on 3G.

Richard

Sep 4, 2015, 4:02:37 AM9/4/15
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hey Richard,

I dunno for 3G, did not apply for it.
Via Wifi I did, but should work with 3G+VPN (Tunnel Bear for exemple)