Perth 2600 meetings

Daemon Knight

Oct 18, 2019, 3:57:41 AM10/18/19
to 2600 Australia
Hi, All.

I am starting up the Perth 2600 meetings. I am still scouting for a decent location, but the first planned topic of discussion/demo will be about Blue Boxing. If you have one, bring it and let's have some fun.

The meeting time will be the standard 5pm on Friday, Nov.1.

DK

Ian Manners

Oct 19, 2019, 5:29:39 AM10/19/19
to 2600 Australia
Hi DK,

I'm interested, depending on where it is.
I just though that where ever I moved to, the meetings stopped :o)

Sid E

Oct 19, 2019, 6:02:59 AM10/19/19
to 2600-australia
Topkek

Make sure your political views align with the rest of 2600 or GTFO.

Hillary 2020.

Comply or else

Daemon Knight

Oct 19, 2019, 12:35:17 PM10/19/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Ian.

It will definitely be in Perth. I was looking at The Shoe Bar, just because it is easy to get to by bus or train. It can always be moved at a later date.

There doesn't seem to be any groups, meetups, etc. that are aimed towards hacking. There are a lot of security-focused groups talking about policies and what-not, but I like taking things apart and making them work better.

I'm picking up some of the parts for my blue box tomorrow and will try to find an alternative location, just in case.

Regards,
DK

Daemon Knight

Oct 19, 2019, 12:37:45 PM10/19/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
If Hillary wants to come after me, let her. But I seriously doubt it. She has her own stuff to sort out.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "2600 Australia" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2600-australia/CAMP2cB%2B57vjxAQgjqVwWuz62_AMGUME2Cmvh%3DE_AP4pnW-JZng%40mail.gmail.com.

Jason Xiros

Oct 19, 2019, 9:04:04 PM10/19/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com

Not sure if you are trolling** but when did this group start judging on political belief instead of technical skill (or willingness to learn)

Kind regards,

Jason

**if so, well done - I took the bait.

Ian Manners

Oct 19, 2019, 11:58:00 PM10/19/19
to 2600 Australia

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 9:04:04 AM UTC+8, Zenarchist wrote:

Not sure if you are trolling** but when did this group start judging on political belief instead of technical skill (or willingness to learn)

Life would be boring without Sid :)

Even bytes get lonely for a little bit.

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Oct 22, 2019, 4:30:12 AM10/22/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com, Sid E
Shouldn't that be spelt Killary? With the initials KP...

Occupy Mars 2020!
</troll>

--
New and improved 2600... well..
..we drew on some flames and

Sid E

Oct 25, 2019, 3:14:09 AM10/25/19
to 2600-australia

2016

Either be a pro Hillary Feminist or GTFO.

AND the organisers would just block you and call you racist / sexist etc.

Look at what happened with the Facebook group (almost 100k members) since 2016, and the work people went to to get it back into the hands of people without political agendas.

The only reason the official FB group - which BTW was never official because it was never recognized by Goldstein - has gone back to normal is because Lamos OD'd and control was handed back to someone who cared about the 2600 image.

After 20+ years I won't go to meets anymore because of the political agenda behind them, and the organisers are vigilant about enforcing it

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ian Manners <ad...@comkal.com.au> wrote:
Hi DK,

I'm interested, depending on where it is.
I just though that where ever I moved to, the meetings stopped :o)

Disclaimer: Comments to this mailing list are owned by the poster

Disclaimer: Comments to this mailing list are owned by the poster

Disclaimer: Comments to this mailing list are owned by the poster

Sid E

Oct 28, 2019, 5:51:26 AM10/28/19
to 2600-australia

Awww shit its been 3 days and not a single one of your 2600 hardcores pointed out it was Andrew Strutt not Lamos.....

Disappointed boys (and girls like tossello)

Daemon Knight

Oct 30, 2019, 10:07:33 PM10/30/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, Sid. I've been busy with other projects.

So much so that I am having to put my 2600 efforts on hold until January: no meeting this Friday or in December.

Kind regards,
DK

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 5:51 PM Sid E <side...@gmail.com> wrote:

Awww shit its been 3 days and not a single one of your 2600 hardcores pointed out it was Andrew Strutt not Lamos.....

Disappointed boys (and girls like tossello)

Disclaimer: Comments to this mailing list are owned by the poster

Sid E

Ian Manners

Nov 2, 2019, 1:23:39 PM11/2/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't know, I don't do facebook, thats hardcore :o)
I use to do MelbourneU late 70's before CIS, BBS's in the 80's before
I discovered CompuServ and ..

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Nov 6, 2019, 6:23:39 PM11/6/19
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
That would make you first wave Melbourne GPO 2600.  That's
oldschool hardcore :P  that puts you in the same era as the
blind whistling guys.
Wonder what happened to that bunch of phreaks whistling
dixie (or 2600Hz as the case may be) back in the day?

AFAIK our 3rd wave late 90s, and 4th wave 2000's  2600
revival meets never did do the GPO friday night thing to see
if any of the first wave oldies still turned up. But the
core of that group was in Sydney, and 2600 was born in
Melbourne, so the capital city in-politics there probably
meant nobody cared if any of the originals still stalked
Melbourne GPO since all they cared about was Sydney anyway.

Then again given most of the 2nd wave 80's/90's MCUG guys
like karl, psirax(cyrax? never could spell it) and Mendax
all got picked in that police op from the early 90's  the
rest probably kept their heads down and didn't go to meets
anymore.  I did bump into one of the 2nd wave people, she
got old, overweight and of poor health, and opened a dress
shop in Gippsland.   One of the few the popo didnt think
worth picking up.   Small world.

As for facebook.. WHICH one? lol there is the original Oz
one but its got maybe a few hundred and its a closed group -
then there is the big mainstream Oz one all the hipsters
use, but i never tried to join that one, or the US one which
has god knows who in it, and a few random regional groups i
assume are related to the different meet chapters in each state.

--
New and improved 2600... well..
..we drew on some flames and
Google - making sure, life is no more, than 1984...
--
Bill Gates: 640k is more than enough for anybody
PC guy down the road: You will never fill that 10mb Hard disk mate
Abbott/Turnbull: 25Mbps is "more than enough" for the average Australian household.
Turnbull: Actually 10MBs is enough for the average household really.
Abbott/Turnbull: It is cheaper to put in FTTN, you get up to 24mbs/down and 256k up..
we can upgrade it more later...
--
Abbott: Being an Aboriginal is a "Lifestyle choice"
Abbott: Having optic fiber (FTTP) is a "Lifestyle choice"
Abbott/Cabinet: People and Businesses that require broadband should move to the city.
Hockey: The extra cost of fuel wont effect low income families, because they don't drive
anywhere anymore.
Abbott: Australians will have to tighten their belt.. put off that overseas
holiday or new car this year..
Abbott: I wont apologize for the stolen generation, I would do it again.
Abbott: I stopped the boats, they deserve to be locked up as terrorists.
Abbott: I am sick of being told I am violating human rights.
Abbott: We need to pass these extra nation wide surveillance laws as soon as possible,
we can fix the issues with the scope later..
--
Adolf Hitler: And so by voting to appoint me high chancelor and to dissolve parliment
you vote for a stronger germany, for stong industry and jobs for all.. we can worry about the finer details later..

Patrick Webster

Dec 16, 2019, 4:10:39 PM12/16/19
to 2600 Australia List
Hey DK,

Yeah ignore Sid. Always talking shit (right? why not?!). There was some conflict in various chapters like 20 years ago.

Everyone is busy but that's okay. You may do well with a January start which is meant to be the 3rd of the month (globally). It's not mandatory though. Especially this time of year (to get some sunlight).

You may want to fix a date of e.g  10/11/17/18 January to catch people off work / children / travel plans.

From experience, it doesn't always work out immediately, so if you want to create a chapter just keep posting dates and spreading the word.... And drinking by yourself. These days there are Meetup groups, FB, security Slack channels, local IT generic / itsec businesses, University and TAFE. Or just run with LinkedIn locals.

I moved away from Sydney (hate it) and tried to create other chapters..

It depends on the populace. If you're in a remote bush area it won't survive. Too far and dangerous.

If you're in a city region (such as Perth or regional commuter junction CBD) you should be okay.

I created a local chapter and rambled to any IT nerdy looking townsfolk (often wrong ha), Niantic Ingress players, IT repair shops, locally based CBD commuters, google maps, school newsletters, electricians and mere strangers - now we have an active group of 5-30 regulars.

Anyone can update the website via git or add the details for you.

There was an old Perth chapter so you may be able to reinvigorate them. Sydney was dead for a few months; I put on a bar tab and magically everyone showed up :) It was worth it.

The 2600 WA people exist. You will have to spread the word. Apparently these guys are there? They were recently acquired however:

Oh yeah and it helps to have a tee shirt that identities you. We can't all wear black? Most 2600 friendly people are introverted with caution. Don't chat to detectives all night.

Qualify their skills and background if you need to. 2600 is globally welcome to all. There are many ex police. But don't speak loosely and have a healthy distrust.

Patrick

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "2600 Australia" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2600-australia/CABFeeYsH%3DGwGkUNTdYPcbZNwQyj57upS07gfkbfo_1X94OT58w%40mail.gmail.com.i

Daemon Knight

Feb 2, 2020, 7:06:30 AM2/2/20
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the delay, Everyone.

The Perth meetings are starting this Friday, February 7th, at the Shoe Bar in Perth. I'll be seated outside, in the open area, wearing a black 2600 shirt.

See you there!

DK

Ian Manners

Feb 3, 2020, 12:06:36 PM2/3/20
to 2600 Australia

> The Perth meetings are starting this Friday, February 7th, at the Shoe Bar in Perth. I'll be seated outside, in the open area, wearing a black 2600 shirt.

Time? I figure I'll be there about 5-5:30pm.

Daemon Knight

Feb 7, 2020, 4:23:46 AM2/7/20
to 2600 Australia
We're already here, Ian.

Daemon Knight

Feb 7, 2020, 7:01:18 AM2/7/20
to 2600 Australia
The first Perth meeting is officially over. Thanks to Wolf and Ian for coming out. I will have some hackable hardware ready for next month's gathering.

Daemon Knight

Apr 2, 2020, 12:29:11 AM4/2/20
to 2600 Australia
Just in case someone doesn't watch the news or isn't aware of what is happening in the world at the moment, the Perth meetings are on-hold until we no longer have to live in isolation.