why does fedex deliver package to post office?

richard

May 21, 2010, 4:30:09 PM5/21/10
I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
advertises.

--
I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
yourself.

ian field

May 21, 2010, 4:53:07 PM5/21/10

"richard" <mem...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

I wish the couriers here in the UK did that!

The couriers have an uncanny knack for only calling when I'm out and
depending which courier their depot could be anywhere - the post office
collection office is a half mile down the road.

§nühw¤£f

May 21, 2010, 5:02:17 PM5/21/10
richard wrote:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to
> get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

Whadda you expect from a NON UNION shop?

Word.

chuckcar

May 21, 2010, 5:22:54 PM5/21/10

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to
> get it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what
> fedex advertises.

They use the post office for delivery to other cities. Cheaper than
having planes going to every city on the planet.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Easter

May 21, 2010, 5:38:13 PM5/21/10
richard wrote:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

My local giant post office (some kind of regional center) has a fedex
drop box outside.

Fedex will not deliver to post office boxes.

At the specific drop box I am speaking about, the services at the drop
box are described as 'express' and 'self service' and the latest
delivery times are 4:30pm M-F none on SatSun. From reading about drop
boxes at the fedex site, I would say that you cannot pick up a fedex
delivery there - you can only drop a fedex express package there or pick
up shipping supplies.

Even nearer to me than the fedex USPS drop box, is a facility called
Postal Annex - which is an authorized fedex ShipCenter from which you
can ship fedex; and you can also have a private mailbox and a variety of
services. But I don't think you can pickup a fedex shipment there either.

In my experience, when a fedex package didn't get delivered to me and I
had to go pick it up, I had to drive quite a ways (a nearby town) to a
fedex 'warehouse' in a bad part of another town.

I don't know what kind of situation you are in with a fedex delivery
that you would be instructed to go to a US post office. Are you sure
there isn't some kind of confusion?

--
Mike Easter

Bert Hyman

May 21, 2010, 5:51:13 PM5/21/10
In news:1g2waifvnxui0$.1m8zplvbncnhz$.d...@40tude.net richard
<mem...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to
> get it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what
> fedex advertises.

That's probably the FedEx "SmartPost" service, which uses the postal
service for final delivery; it's cheaper.

http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/index.html

Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
turns out to be more convenient for me.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

OldGringo38

May 21, 2010, 5:57:16 PM5/21/10
On 5/21/2010 3:30 PM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
following tidbit of information:

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

This feature of delivery was primarily devised for rural areas where
there is no USPS delivery and everyone goes to the PO to get their
mail.(Such as in Marfa, Tx.) saves the UPS, FedEx, DHL drivers from
driving all over the country side to deliver a package. I experience
this frequently.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

May 21, 2010, 5:58:31 PM5/21/10
Mike Easter wrote:

> Even nearer to me than the fedex USPS drop box, is a facility called
> Postal Annex - which is an authorized fedex ShipCenter from which you
> can ship fedex; and you can also have a private mailbox and a variety of
> services. But I don't think you can pickup a fedex shipment there either.

Maybe you can. (Nope, not at Postal Annex.)

Fedex has some kind of delivery option which is called 'Hold at FedEx
Location' -- in which the kinds of fedex locations which a package can
be held for a recipient are: "Packages will be held for pickup at the
designated FedEx Office Print & Ship Center, FedEx World Service Center
or FedEx Office Ship Center."

All of *my* nearby Hold At locations are Kinko's, except for one
non-kinkos about 9 mi away.

All of the kinkos have Sat pickup - which is good to know. Apparently
the Kinko's around here have all been rebadged to say/ be called/ "FedEx
Office Print & Ship Center"

--
Mike Easter

richard

May 21, 2010, 5:59:46 PM5/21/10

That's probably what's going on. The shipper already has you pay out the
ass for shipping charges, then uses the cheapest way of doing it.

What kills me is it only took 4 physical days to ship from LA to Phoenix?
Hell, I could have driven there, picked up the package and return home
faster.

Mike Easter

May 21, 2010, 6:08:07 PM5/21/10
Bert Hyman wrote:

> That's probably the FedEx "SmartPost" service, which uses the postal
> service for final delivery; it's cheaper.
>
> http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/index.html
>
> Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
> though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
> turns out to be more convenient for me.

I should have used a different term to search for post office at fedex.

They like to refer to it as USPS or postal service.

I wonder how that signature business works with a post office box. The
link says "including P.O. boxes".

I seem to recall getting something in a POB, a notice, and I had to go
to the POB services desk during their business hours to sign for the item.

So, how come the standard policy for so many businesses is that they
won't ship to a POB? I guess it means that the other services such as
DHS and UPS don't have the fedex smartpost service worked out.

--
Mike Easter

Message has been deleted

NotMe

May 22, 2010, 1:14:40 AM5/22/10

"richard" <mem...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

It's a sub of FEDEX (UPS has the same deal) it is NOT directly controlled or
tracked by either FEDEX or UPS. It's a low ball shipping service FEDEX/UPS
has sold to the shippers. Customer's have the impression it's the premium
service where in fact it's the lowest form of shipping available.

I've had a round and round with these folk and the SUPS over the problems.
SUPS reports that more than a few packages recorded as delivered to the
care, custody, control of the SUPS don't make it to their facilities.

In desperation we've had to mark all our PO's with a qualification to the
effect if the shipment is redirected to SUPS WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE. FWIW
we've filed complaints with the Postal Inspectors, but have received no
reports on the result of the investigations.

BTW good luck getting this in the next 'few days' our shipments (when they
do arrive) often take weeks.

NotMe

May 22, 2010, 1:18:18 AM5/22/10
SUPS should read U S P S something in OE is changing the spelling.

"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

MOLOGROV SCHLOCKTAIL

May 22, 2010, 1:22:59 PM5/22/10
On Sat, 22 May 2010 00:18:18 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>SUPS should read U S P S something in OE is changing the spelling.

We Have Saying In Country. Sovereign Union Postal Service Is Superior
To All. Using Outlook Express For Leading Revolution.

NotMe

May 22, 2010, 1:31:33 PM5/22/10

"MOLOGROV SCHLOCKTAIL" <bols...@russia.fuck> wrote in message

LOL good one ... I'll have to remember that for my next conversation with
the post office folk.

Zeke

May 22, 2010, 5:19:02 PM5/22/10

"richard" <mem...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

Fedex installed Comodo on their tracking system, it fucked up everything...

Message has been deleted

Aardvark

May 23, 2010, 1:08:26 PM5/23/10
On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:02:17 -0600, §nühw¤£f wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today. But no.
>> Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got delivered
>> to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
>> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
>> advertises.
>>
> Whadda you expect from a NON UNION shop?
>
> Word.

For you, mate:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbzxemJZIc>

Billy Bragg rules.

<http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

Aardvark

May 23, 2010, 1:07:48 PM5/23/10
On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:02:17 -0600, §nühw¤£f wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today. But no.
>> Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got delivered
>> to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
>> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
>> advertises.
>>
> Whadda you expect from a NON UNION shop?
>
> Word.

For you, mate:

§nühw¤£f

May 24, 2010, 6:15:54 PM5/24/10
Aardvark wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:02:17 -0600, �n�hw��f wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today. But
> no.
>>> Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered
>>> to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
>>> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what
> fedex
>>> advertises.
>>>
>> Whadda you expect from a NON UNION shop?
>>
>> Word.
>
> For you, mate:
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbzxemJZIc>
>
> Billy Bragg rules.

Nice. I finally got around to downloading that. Anaconda was a union
town. If it wasnt for the unions the mine owners would have never
instituted any safety regulations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte,_Montana#Labor_organizations

doS

May 26, 2010, 4:33:28 PM5/26/10
wrong...some compaines fedex to a post office for delivery in some
areas...they save money,they call it "smart post in" my area...

"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in message

doS

May 26, 2010, 4:34:18 PM5/26/10
don't bite the dolls neck lol

"richard" <mem...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bert Hyman

May 26, 2010, 4:50:02 PM5/26/10
In news:kv1rv59csbm69fpfc...@4ax.com Evan Platt
<ev...@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:59:46 -0700, richard <mem...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>>That's probably what's going on. The shipper already has you pay out
>>the ass for shipping charges, then uses the cheapest way of doing it.
>

> The "Shipper" hasn't charged you anything, nor have you paid the
> shipper anything. You paid the company you bought the product from.
> THEY paid the shipper.

The person with the product (in this case, the person from whom you
bought the item) is the "shipper," while the people with the trucks,
FedEX in this case, is the "carrier."

Message has been deleted

Bert Hyman

May 26, 2010, 6:43:45 PM5/26/10
In news:dh2rv5drhdfsuse92...@4ax.com Evan Platt
<ev...@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

> On 26 May 2010 20:50:02 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>The person with the product (in this case, the person from whom you
>>bought the item) is the "shipper," while the people with the trucks,
>>FedEX in this case, is the "carrier."
>

> Hmm.. I've seen it either way, but most often, I consider the shipper
> to be UPS / FedEx, not say Buy.com or Amazon.

Mine's the common use of the terms and FedEx and UPS agree in their
tariffs.

Jordon

May 26, 2010, 6:58:56 PM5/26/10
Evan Platt wrote:
> On 26 May 2010 20:50:02 GMT, Bert Hyman<be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>> The person with the product (in this case, the person from whom you
>> bought the item) is the "shipper," while the people with the trucks,
>> FedEX in this case, is the "carrier."
>
> Hmm.. I've seen it either way, but most often, I consider the shipper
> to be UPS / FedEx, not say Buy.com or Amazon.

UPS and FedEx would never consider themselves a shipper unless
they were the origin of the cargo. Shipper-carrier-consignee.
Trust me, I'm in the business.

--
Jordon

Jordon

May 26, 2010, 7:02:19 PM5/26/10
Bert Hyman wrote:

> Since FedEx often won't leave a package without a signature (even
> though I have a signature waiver on file), this kind of shipping usually
> turns out to be more convenient for me.

I received a package from FedEx yesterday afternoon at
my house. There was a knock at the door and by the time
I opened it the driver was pulling away and my package
was on the door step.

--
Jordon

OldGringo38

May 26, 2010, 9:49:25 PM5/26/10
On 5/26/2010 6:02 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jordon wrote the
following tidbit of information:
Same here, no sig required. Just leave it on the front porch.
Message has been deleted

NotMe

May 26, 2010, 10:43:46 PM5/26/10

"Evan Platt" <ev...@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message

> On 26 May 2010 20:50:02 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>

>>The person with the product (in this case, the person from whom you
>>bought the item) is the "shipper," while the people with the trucks,
>>FedEX in this case, is the "carrier."
>

> Hmm.. I've seen it either way, but most often, I consider the shipper
> to be UPS / FedEx, not say Buy.com or Amazon.
>

> In any case, st00pid paid for likely the cheapest shipping option, and
> that's what he got. Now he's complaining.

Often the specifications are FEDEX, UPS or one of the better carriers. The
seller makes the change to FEDEX/USPS without the knowledge or consent of
the buyer.

I run into this all the time and our POs are very specific. I've taken to
refusing the shipment and filing a grievance with my CC company.

The justification 'we're trying to save you money' but I'm billed for the
premium transport and receive no credit (often as not don't receive my order
either)

Message has been deleted

OldGringo38

May 26, 2010, 11:01:23 PM5/26/10
On 5/26/2010 9:00 PM Just to please that super-ego, Evan Platt wrote the
following tidbit of information:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:49:25 -0500, OldGringo38
> <NoE...@ThisOldHouse.Con> wrote:
>
>> Same here, no sig required. Just leave it on the front porch.
>
> What can Brown do for you?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAq_KnDIPc&feature=related
That's funny lol

NotMe

May 27, 2010, 12:12:06 AM5/27/10

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:43:46 -0500, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Often the specifications are FEDEX, UPS or one of the better carriers.
>>The
>>seller makes the change to FEDEX/USPS without the knowledge or consent of
>>the buyer.
>>
>>I run into this all the time and our POs are very specific. I've taken to
>>refusing the shipment and filing a grievance with my CC company.
>>
>>The justification 'we're trying to save you money' but I'm billed for the
>>premium transport and receive no credit (often as not don't receive my
>>order
>>either)
>
> Almost every time I've ordered from a company, they give the choice -
> ie UPS Ground, UPS 3 Day, UPS 2 Day, UPS Overnight. I can't honestly
> recall the last place I ordered from that simply said "UPS" or
> "FedEx". I'd be willing to BET RtS ordered from a place that STATED
> FedEx SmartPost, he simply saw "FedEx" and assumed it was priority.
>
> But, since he's chickenshitted out of this thread, like usual, we'll
> never know.

Can't speak for anyone else's experience. My learning curve was expensive
and a hassle as we had mission critical parts on order (AOG critical) and
could not find our shipment for over three weeks. There were no other parts
available that would work so I could not alternate source.

Despite being very specific on the method of shipping some venders still
play games. Seems the only way to break them of sucking eggs is to refuse
the shipment and file a grievance with the CC company.

The Old Sourdough

May 27, 2010, 5:56:08 PM5/27/10
Evan Platt mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:59:46 -0700, richard <mem...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:

>>That's probably what's going on. The shipper already has you pay out the
>>ass for shipping charges, then uses the cheapest way of doing it.

> The "Shipper" hasn't charged you anything, nor have you paid the
> shipper anything. You paid the company you bought the product from.
> THEY paid the shipper.

> You worked in the trucking business???

> Seriously?

>>What kills me is it only took 4 physical days to ship from LA to Phoenix?
>>Hell, I could have driven there, picked up the package and return home
>>faster.

> Then why didn't you?

He couldn't find California?

--
The Old Sourdough
Of course a platonic relationship is possible -- but only between

Message has been deleted

Rick

May 28, 2010, 12:11:11 PM5/28/10
richard wrote:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.

USPS has agreements with Fedex and UPS to deliver some types of mailings
to the customer. Also, USPS hires the others to handle
certain shipments.

Message has been deleted

angelas...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 9:48:39 PM10/12/16
On Friday, May 21, 2010 at 4:30:09 PM UTC-4, richard wrote:
> I've been expecting a package to be delivered by fedex today.
> But no. Ain't gonna happen. The tracking site shows the package got
> delivered to a post office? Now I have to wait another day or two to get
> it? This ain't what the customer is paying for. Nor is it what fedex
> advertises.
>

> --
> I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
> yourself.
> - Ricky Nelson from "Garden Party"

I am dealing with the same thing, my package was promised on ebay to be delivered by 10/11, but FedEx said by end of day 10/12. So i waited today for the delivery and even seen a FedEx truck a block down my street this afternoon around 5:50pm. So they delivered something else to my street but mine was dropped off at the post office. So frustrating.

burfordTjustice

Oct 13, 2016, 6:17:30 AM10/13/16
Shipper sends via "last mile" to cut down on transit time.
If sent USPS you could add a week to transit time.
Fedex cuts transit time and USPS brings the last bit, saves a
small amout on dollars on shippers end.