Anyone use VLC to watch TV channels?

Metspitzer

Aug 9, 2013, 9:04:45 PM8/9/13
I bought a TV tuner card and I want to use VLC to play the channels. I
tried Googling how to do it, but the text doesn't match what I have. I
guess there are too many changes in VLC since the docs were written.
Anyway........When I go to setup I see this:
http://imgur.com/a/QS5XJ
I have changed the setting to my card which is a ATI Wonder HD750.
When I pick "advanced" I am really guessing what is next. All I have
tried so far is to enter the channel and tell VLC I am using "cable"
When I push "play" (it sometimes says "stream") Nothing happens.

Hot-Text

Aug 10, 2013, 1:23:43 AM8/10/13
"Metspitzer" <Kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message
VLC spyware Sucks

Use your ATI Wonder
HD750 TV Tuner Viewer

Click it Menu

USA Video Standard is NTSC-M

Video Capture steam type is MPEG-1 or MPEG- 2
Tuner Source is Cable

Metspitzer

Aug 10, 2013, 1:05:59 AM8/10/13
Using your setting suggestion of adding NTSC-M and Tuner Source as
cable, I was able to get VLC to play, but only a half screen picture.

I also was not able to change channels. VLC didn't save any of the
settings. I hope there is a way to use VLC without entering all
these settings each time.

http://imgur.com/K2owJD7

Another reason I really want to use VLC is because I can set it to
"always on top" The built in software doesn't support this.

Anyone know of a more appropriate Usenet group for this topic?

Hot-Text

Aug 10, 2013, 4:58:03 AM8/10/13
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 23:23:43 -0600, "Hot-Text"
> <billyr...@mynews.ath.cx> wrote:
>>"Metspitzer" <Kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> I bought a TV tuner card and I want to use VLC to play the channels. I
>>> tried Googling how to do it, but the text doesn't match what I have. I
>>> guess there are too many changes in VLC since the docs were written.
>>> Anyway........When I go to setup I see this:
>>> http://imgur.com/a/QS5XJ
>>> I have changed the setting to my card which is a ATI Wonder HD750.
>>> When I pick "advanced" I am really guessing what is next. All I have
>>> tried so far is to enter the channel and tell VLC I am using "cable"
>>> When I push "play" (it sometimes says "stream") Nothing happens.
>>VLC spyware Sucks
>>Use your ATI Wonder
>>HD750 TV Tuner Viewer
>>Click it Menu
>>USA Video Standard is NTSC-M
>>Video Capture steam type is MPEG-1 or MPEG- 2
>>Tuner Source is Cable
> Using your setting suggestion of adding NTSC-M and Tuner Source as
> cable, I was able to get VLC to play, but only a half screen picture.

it is HD sides is 750
go to Picture Settings Adjust is on Auto
make it to Screen Fit

VLC you have to go to Device
Stream format
Frame Rate 29.970

> I also was not able to change channels. VLC didn't save any of the
> settings. I hope there is a way to use VLC without entering all
> these settings each time.
>
> http://imgur.com/K2owJD7

VLC you have to go to Device
TV tuner Settings
Set Channel
Change Channel
Enter new Channel (current 4)

LOOL one Channel a time with VLC

if you under Windows OS

Right Click
Desktop
Click Properties
in the tab click Settings
you see Advanced
click on it
On you will see a New Properties
setup by ATI Wonder HD750

Yes new Properties by ATI
Have a good day

> Another reason I really want to use VLC is because I can set it to
> "always on top" The built in software doesn't support this.

It's made for Windows Media Center

> Anyone know of a more appropriate Usenet group for this topic?

Go to a one of the Windows Usenet group
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Hot-Text

Aug 10, 2013, 4:59:07 AM8/10/13
"Metspitzer" <Kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 23:23:43 -0600, "Hot-Text"
> <billyr...@mynews.ath.cx> wrote:
>>"Metspitzer" <Kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> I bought a TV tuner card and I want to use VLC to play the channels. I
>>> tried Googling how to do it, but the text doesn't match what I have. I
>>> guess there are too many changes in VLC since the docs were written.
>>> Anyway........When I go to setup I see this:
>>> http://imgur.com/a/QS5XJ
>>> I have changed the setting to my card which is a ATI Wonder HD750.
>>> When I pick "advanced" I am really guessing what is next. All I have
>>> tried so far is to enter the channel and tell VLC I am using "cable"
>>> When I push "play" (it sometimes says "stream") Nothing happens.
>>VLC spyware Sucks
>>Use your ATI Wonder
>>HD750 TV Tuner Viewer
>>Click it Menu
>>USA Video Standard is NTSC-M
>>Video Capture steam type is MPEG-1 or MPEG- 2
>>Tuner Source is Cable
> Using your setting suggestion of adding NTSC-M and Tuner Source as
> cable, I was able to get VLC to play, but only a half screen picture.

it is HD sides is 750
go to Picture Settings Adjust is on Auto
make it to Screen Fit

VLC you have to go to Device
Stream format
Frame Rate 29.970

> I also was not able to change channels. VLC didn't save any of the
> settings. I hope there is a way to use VLC without entering all
> these settings each time.
>
> http://imgur.com/K2owJD7

VLC you have to go to Device
TV tuner Settings
Set Channel
Change Channel
Enter new Channel (current 4)

LOOL one Channel a time with VLC

if you under Windows OS

Right Click
Desktop
Click Properties
in the tab click Settings
you see Advanced
click on it
On you will see a New Properties
setup by ATI Wonder HD750

Yes new Properties by ATI
Have a good day

> Another reason I really want to use VLC is because I can set it to
> "always on top" The built in software doesn't support this.

It's made for Windows Media Center

> Anyone know of a more appropriate Usenet group for this topic?

Metspitzer

Aug 10, 2013, 11:29:25 AM8/10/13
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 02:58:03 -0600, "Hot-Text"
Since VLC seems to be pretty complicated, I am going to try using
Media Center. It is strange that the ATI tech support did not suggest
that.

>> Anyone know of a more appropriate Usenet group for this topic?
>
>Go to a one of the Windows Usenet group
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you.

ayant...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2015, 5:37:48 AM2/12/15

I am using VLC to play the tv tunner card channels. I am not able to play it. I am using Dany Tv tuner card. Please help me figure out how can we play the card??