Spain: We’ll Invade If Britain Leaves EU…

2 vues

burfordTjustice

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 07:02:1909/03/2016
Spain has warned that it will invade the British territory of Gibraltar if the UK leaves the European Union. According to the Daily Express newspaper Foreign Minister, Jose Manual Garcia-Margallo, said Spain would take control of the territory “the very next day”.

The threat came as Britain gears up to vote on whether to leave the EU on June 23. The referendum is currently too close too call, with voters concerned about the level of immigration into the country, but also want access to the EU’s single market.

Britain has ruled Gibraltar since it was captured from Spain in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. The Spanish government confirmed British rights to the territory “in perpetuity” as part of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.

abelard

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 07:12:0009/03/2016
it's a lot nearer than the falklands...

surely they should wait until the corvyd is pm...

--
www.abelard.org

Ophelia

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 07:35:0609/03/2016

"burfordTjustice" <burford...@buf.uk> wrote in message
They can try. We have a big military base in Gibraltar

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

GB

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 07:55:3809/03/2016
We may have a big base there, but it's almost empty! There's one light
infantry regiment and a couple of patrol boats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_Gibraltar

We do outspend the Spanish 5:1 on defence, so we might win in the long
run, given the will to retake the peninsula. However, the present forces
would surely be brushed aside in a determined initial assault?

The best course would be to use nukes against Spanish cities until they
give Gibraltar back, but personally I'm a bit squeamish to go that far
just to protect a few duty free shops.

Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 08:00:1509/03/2016
In uk.politics.misc GB <NOTso...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>>> Spain has warned that it will invade the British territory of Gibraltar
>>> if the UK leaves the European Union. According to the Daily Express
>>> newspaper Foreign Minister, Jose Manual Garcia-Margallo, said Spain
>>> would take control of the territory “the very next day”.

Oooh! 'Brexit' actually just got interesting!

Y.
--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
'I approve of anybody who commits such acts of violence. Really, I

Ophelia

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 08:15:3809/03/2016

"GB" <NOTso...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
lol you are bonkers:)) As for the base, I am sure we will soon send enough
personnel to fill it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dan S. MacAbre

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 08:20:1509/03/2016
Probably a silly question for those that know about such things, but I'm
wondering if one nato member has attacked another before?

JNugent

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 10:03:3409/03/2016
Not exactly, but there's Greece and Turkey in Cyprus.

Ophelia

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 10:30:3209/03/2016

"Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message
I remember Turkey attacked Cyprus (a Greek island) and took over half the
island

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

burfordTjustice

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 10:38:2709/03/2016
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 07:03:06 -0800 (PST)
mro...@btopenworld.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 12:02:17 PM UTC, burfordTjustice wrote:
>
> > Spain has warned that it will invade the British territory of
> > Gibraltar if the UK leaves the European Union. According to the
> > Daily Express newspaper Foreign Minister, Jose Manual
> > Garcia-Margallo, said Spain would take control of the territory
> > "the very next day".
>
> They are dagoes. They can't even agree on how to form a government
> let alone fight a war.
>
> It's not true that Gibraltar has no military significance. For one
> thing it still is a very tight bottle neck between the Atlantic Ocean
> and the Mediterranean and always will be.
>
> More than that the place absolutely bristles with surveillance
> electronics. Most of the intelligence coming out of the Middle East
> will come through either Gibraltar or RAF Troodos in Cyprus Both
> apparently work very closely with GCHQ.
>
> Defence I would think would be quite easy. In past years whenever the
> sabre has been rattled a squadron of fighters have been on the
> airport within 24 hours. Isthmus is quite narrow IIRC and the road
> through La Linea the last time I used it is poor though my most
> recent visits have been by sea and air. The apes seem as lively as
> ever and they will only leave after the British. One jumped on my
> back and as I went to brush him off the little bugger bit me.
>
> Algeciras across the bay has what looks like a petrol refinery and
> should get quite a crackle on if a few shells are pumped into it.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about a Spanish invasion of Gibraltar. It
> wouldn't be an event you could keep quiet enough to achieve that
> element of surprise and they'd never get through the taxis.
>
> Anyway aren't they supposed to be members of NATO and so on our side?

Why hide your "Knowledge"?

burfordTjustice

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 10:39:2109/03/2016
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 13:36:48 -0000 (UTC)
Jethro_uk <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 04:56:31 -0800, Richard McKenzie wrote:
> > Yes but lets hope our guns are not pointing out to sea like
> > Singapore while the Japs advanced on pushbike.
>
> Isn't there a story that during the Napoleonic wars, the guns at
> Portsmouth were pointed inland, as the government of the day was more
> afraid of domestic insurgency ?

There was/is?

Jon Ribbens

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 10:51:5009/03/2016
On 2016-03-09, Ophelia <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Probably a silly question for those that know about such things, but I'm
>> wondering if one nato member has attacked another before?
>
> I remember Turkey attacked Cyprus (a Greek island) and took over half the
> island

That's a good point, but it doesn't exactly count because Cyprus is
not a Greek island, it is an independent country that is not a member
of NATO.

Ophelia

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 11:03:1309/03/2016

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+u...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in message
I had thought it used to belong to Greece.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Jon Ribbens

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 12:12:4409/03/2016
On 2016-03-09, Ophelia <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jon Ribbens" <jon+u...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 2016-03-09, Ophelia <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Dan S. MacAbre" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I remember Turkey attacked Cyprus (a Greek island) and took over half the
>>> island
>>
>> That's a good point, but it doesn't exactly count because Cyprus is
>> not a Greek island, it is an independent country that is not a member
>> of NATO.
>
> I had thought it used to belong to Greece.

It's never belonged to Greece I don't think. It was part of the
Ottoman Empire, then it was British, then it became independent
(then the Turks occupied part of it). There are plenty of people
in Greece and Cyprus who *want* it to be part of Greece though
(and plenty of people in Turkey and Cyprus who want it to be
part of Turkey, hence why it isn't part of either).

Ophelia

non lue,
9 mars 2016, 12:41:4209/03/2016

"Jon Ribbens" <jon+u...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in message
Ok, thanks. They have started peace talks though which is good:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyprus-leaders-meeting-idUSKBN0NJ0Y520150428

It will be interesting to hear how that pans out if it works, because people
from both ends lost all their property in the 'other' end. I wonder if they
will try to get their own properties back.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

AndyW

non lue,
10 mars 2016, 02:10:0810/03/2016
Damned right too.
There is no way that Spain would ever support one sovereign nation
having what is effectively a city-state in another country just because
it was taken on battle a long time ago like Gibraltar.... or Ceuta or
Melilla.... Oh... hang on....

Saint George

non lue,
10 mars 2016, 11:39:1310/03/2016
Just wait for Siesta time and take it back!
0 nouveau message