HP 4020I Frimware 1.2??

JT

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
What does the 1.2 Firmware upgrade on the HP?? Any one have any
experinces? and is there a way to restore my original Firmware incase
something happens?

Any Comments or Ideas?

_____ ______ _____ ______
/\___ \/\__ _\ Jeremiah Tieman /\___ \/\__ _\
\/__/\ \/_/\ \/ Internet Direct Technical Support \/__/\ \/_/\ \/
_\ \ \ \ \ \ j...@jt.org j...@indirect.com j...@asu.edu _\ \ \ \ \ \
/\ \_\ \ \ \ \ http://www.indirect.com/www/jt /\ \_\ \ \ \ \
\ \____/ \ \_\ (602) 274-0100 \ \____/ \ \_\
\/___/ \/_/ FAX (602) 274-8518 FAX \/___/ \/_/

* To err is human, but to mooo is bovine. *

Joy Barnitz

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
The firmware upgrade does many things, one of which is more robust
error-recovery. I would recomend using the most recent firmware for either the
HP or Philips CDD2000 CD writers.

Ken Sherman

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
You can get the drivers from
http://www.hp.com:80/isgsupport/cdr/00index.html

--
ksh...@his.com ||| "When all is said and done, much more is said than
done"

Dru Lesnick

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <4c6v22$bcc...@isc.rit.edu>,

jtb...@ritvax.isc.edu (Joy Barnitz) wrote:
>The firmware upgrade does many things, one of which is more robust
>error-recovery. I would recomend using the most recent firmware for either
the
>HP or Philips CDD2000 CD writers.
>
>In article <4c03m5$q...@globe.indirect.com>, j...@indirect.com (JT) wrote:
>>What does the 1.2 Firmware upgrade on the HP?? Any one have any
>>experinces? and is there a way to restore my original Firmware incase
>>something happens?
>>
>>Any Comments or Ideas?

I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the firmware upgrade? My

Chris Fanning

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Ken Sherman (ksh...@his.com) wrote:
: You can get the drivers from
: http://www.hp.com:80/isgsupport/cdr/00index.html
: >
: >I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the firmware upgrade? My
: >4020i has 1.14. I looked on HP's site but there was nothing in the firmware
: >directory.

I just spent about 50 minutes on hold today to find out that 1.2 has not
yet been released. It might have been made available to select people
because of specific problems they've been having, but 1.2 is not generally
available as of yet.

The tech support person I spoke with said that they were shooting for having
1.2 available next week sometime. Then it should be available at the site
mentioned above.

Personally, I'll wait for the official release.

Chris

Hank Gupton

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
cfan...@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu (Chris Fanning) wrote:

>I just spent about 50 minutes on hold today to find out that 1.2 has not
>yet been released. It might have been made available to select people
>because of specific problems they've been having, but 1.2 is not generally
>available as of yet.

Isn't it amazing. Last month it was Pinnacle Micro who had a
firmware upgrade that no one could get to. (You needed to spend an
hour on long-distance lines to get a password for the download off of
their BBS.)

Now, Pinnacle Micro has a Web Page and a representative in this
newsgroup who e-mails copies of the firmware upgrade to people who ask
for it. And, it is Hewlett Packard who is dragging its feet on the
release of a firmware upgrade, or, more precisely, the delivery system
-- the software that installs the firmware in the flash ROM.

The firmware upgrade is being released in new drives. But, the
delivery system for firmware upgrades is still being worked on.

To this I say, "Good job, guys!" But, what is wrong with a Beta
release of the software with the following statement?

Warning: This upgrade is a fast way of turning your
thousand dollar investment into a brick.
Use at your own risk.

>The tech support person I spoke with said that they were shooting for having
>1.2 available next week sometime. Then it should be available at the site
>mentioned above.

The only problem with this is that "next week" never comes. They
were saying "next week" several weeks ago. Come on, what's happening?

-- Hank

Hank Gupton | E-mail: gup...@getnet.com
Glendale, AZ, USA | HomePage: <http://getnet.com/~gupton>

Brad Nelson

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
>cfan...@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu (Chris Fanning) wrote:
>
>>I just spent about 50 minutes on hold today to find out that 1.2 has not
>>yet been released. It might have been made available to select people
>>because of specific problems they've been having, but 1.2 is not generally
>>available as of yet.

????????

Output from HP's CDDIAG program (Device Info) for my HP 4020i
that I purchased over a month and a half ago:

Vendor ID: HP
Product ID: C4324/C4325
Device Type: 5
Hardware Revision: 19
SCSI Firmware: 1.20 Date: 11/02/95
Servo Firmware: 86
Command Protocol: 2
.
.
.

Unless a "friendly virus" has crept into my machine and
mysteriously upgraded my firmware, this is the way mine came!

--
Bradley Nelson Dallas, TX
bsne...@ix.netcom.com 1991 300ZXTT Stage 3

Chris Fanning

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Brad Nelson (bsne...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
[stuff cut]
: Output from HP's CDDIAG program (Device Info) for my HP 4020i
: that I purchased over a month and a half ago:
.
: SCSI Firmware: 1.20 Date: 11/02/95
: .

: Unless a "friendly virus" has crept into my machine and
: mysteriously upgraded my firmware, this is the way mine came!

I knew this was shipping in drives for some time. Maybe it's not the
firmware itself (v1.20) that's not ready but the flash program. It might
not be bullet proof enough for them to make generally available?

Does anyone know just what problems it fixes???

Chris