Info on EU sorting system?

rican...@aol.com

Nov 28, 2021, 3:31:57 PM11/28/21
to gree...@googlegroups.com, zw...@googlegroups.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Anderson <ande...@recycleworlds.net>
To: ga...@garyliss.com; RicAn...@aol.com; cata...@actionpa.org
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2021 2:35 pm
Subject: FW: Info on EU sorting system?

I need to get this out to the ZWIA list asap to find out if anyone knows anything substantive about EcoCentral Granada.

(There is a group of well funded US enviro orgs who are considering whether to treat this BS seriously, so it’s important to get the latest data on it.)

Thx.

                                                            Peter

Nov 28, 2021, 5:48:17 PM11/28/21
to rican...@aol.com, Jamie Kaminski, zw...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any specific info on that site, but may sure discuss the topic for hours
Needless to say, we promote source separation, and typically, it consists of 5 streams - not just 3 - at the curb:
  • food scraps (yard trimmings have a different, specific and low-frequency collection route, or must be delivered to Municiapl Recycling Centres by households themselves, so as to allow cost optimisation of curbside schemes and keep a high participation rate in home composting programmes)
  • glass
  • paper + cardboard
  • plastics + metals (lightweight, compact-able, easy to separate after collection)
  • residual waste

This has driven many Municipalities around and above 90% separate collection (122 in Italy in 2019)

We also promote, though, stabilisation + sorting of residual waste so as to

  • comply with EU obligation on pretreatment (which made landfilling more expensive btw - hence this is beneficial)
  • minimise the env footprint of landfills (thanks to stabilisation of dirty organics)

From what I infer, the difference with Grenada, is they propose mixed waste sorting instead of separate collection, while we say the priority is separate collection (which is also mandatory for key materials - including organics! - under EU Directives) and residual waste sorting is only an ancillary option so as to minimise the footprint of landfills, improve the life cycle performance of waste management, and avoid incineration.

Attached, the ZWE report on the subject

Enzo Favoino
Scuola Agraria del Parco di Monza
Scuola Agraria
Scientific Coordinator, Zero Waste Europe

Zero Waste Europe
Phone: +39 335 355 446
Skype: favoinomail
www.zerowasteeurope.eu
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Driving the Transition towards a Zero Waste Future

FINAL zero_waste_europe_policy briefing_MRBT.pdf